BBC News website - and a blast from the past

Old Dec 16, 03, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
BBC News website - and a blast from the past

Just noticed that the BBC news webpage with the headline "BA celebrates Heathrow expansion" and details of the new runway in the (very far) future has been illustrated with an old BA 747-200B picture !! Was it 5 years ago those went out of service ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3324495.stm
Old Dec 16, 03, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And by the time the expansion is finished the 747-400 will be old and retired as well
Old Dec 17, 03, 2:16 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
And by the time the expansion is finished the 747-400 will be old and retired as well </font>
Or we will have run out of jet fuel and be having to walk or swim everywhere.

Old Dec 17, 03, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
And by the time the expansion is finished the 747-400 will be old and retired as well </font>
That's what is so ludicrous about all this. Everyone is celebrating new runways - but they are all nearly a decade away.

I bet they had an easier time agreeing expansion to CDG and AMS.

Oh well at least they've started the taxiways at EDI - that should give us a bit of respite until 2020!

Old Dec 17, 03, 10:22 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
The BBC uses these library pictures whenever they feature a story involving BA. Funny thing is that until about a month ago, they used a Chatham liveried 747-400. Now they show an older livery and an out of service plane.....
Old Dec 17, 03, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
Was it 5 years ago those went out of service ?
</font>
So some would have you believe. However, I've heard a reliable rumour that at least one of these aircraft is still running the LGW-IAH route, at least over Christmas.
Old Dec 17, 03, 1:08 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WHBM:
Was it 5 years ago those went out of service ?</font>
I think it was much less. Maybe only last year.
Old Dec 17, 03, 2:24 pm

Couldn't find anything about their withdrawal in the press section of the BA site.

Looking at the most recent photos of BA 747-200s on airliners.net it seems that the last flights were in 2002.

Some photos of the old girls being retired to Cardiff and the desert on http://www.airliners.net/search/

[edited to remove the link directly to the pics, as it doesn't work]

[This message has been edited by StarAllianceGold (edited Dec 17, 2003).]
Old Dec 18, 03, 8:00 am
dnw

The already planned retirement of the 742s was accelerated after 9-11 and all were wfu by first quater 2002.

Old Dec 18, 03, 9:43 am
Suspended

I like the BBC. However, even BBC WORLD calls it an "award winning website" which is just a bogus promo. Everyone's website is "award winning".

Thank goodness for pirate radio so Tom Jones could be heard. If it could be any worse, BBC Radio 1 will give Kylie a full day as a DJ....oops, they already did. She can be my wife.
Old Dec 19, 03, 3:39 pm

Quote:

"I've heard a reliable rumour that at least one of these aircraft is still running the LGW-IAH route, at least over Christmas"

Due to some chronic under crewing at BA (the recent survival plan put a blanket ban on recruitment, somewhat short sightedly) some flights from LGW have been contracted to European Airlines over the last few months. On some routes the company have even closed First due to having no crew to work it!

Ironically EAL's fleet of older 747's were purchased from Virgin, which were purchased from BA!!

This explains why some crew have been somewhat grumpier than normal, as they are working with less crew (ie, a bit harder) and have been having requests for leave and days off turned down, despite being entitled to it!!

You'll all be delighted to hear that they are now recruiting like mad (thousands over the next three years I've heard). Basic's about 9k a year if you fancy it, I hear expenses are good though!

Search this Thread