Sudden change in seats available

Old Dec 18, 03, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Sudden change in seats available

A question for you all:

I've been keeping an eye on the availability of seats on my flight to the US on Sunday in order to estimate how crowded it will be.

From last Sunday until yesterday seats were unavailable in economy (ie showing zero availability in all economy fare classes) and ba.com was no longer offering the flight.

Today, however, up to 6 seats have appeared in Y, B, H and K fare classes.

Does anyone know if this is normal, and what the likelihood of spare seats on the plane is?

Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 03, 5:20 am

Very normal. There will probably be spare seats.

They are relaxing inventory controls. This far out the best way of telling if it is actually full as opposed to just busy is if the fare classes for Economy are "closed" not just at zero.

Whilst they are at zero, BA can move inventory around to optimize revenue (they often do this hiding it under the name of 'waitlisting').
Old Dec 18, 03, 5:22 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
There could also be lots of availability in club / WT+. They could therefore open further availability in WT with the intention of upgrading.

Old Dec 18, 03, 8:40 am
C

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Merry:
Very normal. There will probably be spare seats.

They are relaxing inventory controls. This far out the best way of telling if it is actually full as opposed to just busy is if the fare classes for Economy are "closed" not just at zero.

Whilst they are at zero, BA can move inventory around to optimize revenue (they often do this hiding it under the name of 'waitlisting').
</font>
I've been trying to understand how this works recently. Using the SabreConsole tool that was discussed here recently, I find for an upcoming flight I'm taking:

2003-12-22 BOS/LHR
1 BOS LHR 2045 0825* BA 214 (744) F5 A0 J9 C0 D0 I0 W1 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 R0 V0 N0 L0 S0 Q0 O0

I read this as "fairly full in the back", and decent chance of opup given availability up front. Too simplistic?

C
Old Dec 18, 03, 9:36 am

No not too simplistic, form the information you have it is very busy in the back, and who knows up front.

But this doesn't really mean alot.

Many times they have just not 'pooled' inventory yet and either on Friday or Saturday you would see a load of availability suddenly appear.

However, in this case, more sophisticated systems are showing this flight as officially 'oversold'. Inventory has already been pooled and there are currently four passengers waitlisted for Economy, although the waitlist has not closed yet.

The intention is to opup and a high percentage of these are scheduled to be provisionally allocated 48 hours before departure.

Which begs a question...
Old Dec 18, 03, 2:05 pm
C

Thanks a lot Merry - excellent answer. We have an inhouse travel agent, from a rather large travel agent, would she have the more sophisticated information in her "system"?
Old Dec 18, 03, 2:55 pm

You really need to have access to Galileo NAVS or Inside Availability. Unless a TA has a special marketign agreement with BA it is very unlikely they will have the appropriate access to these systems.

Old Dec 19, 03, 4:32 am

BA have now 'pooled' Premium inventory on this flight.

Compare the number of premium seats available today with the number tomorrow, to get a rough idea of the number of pre-assigned upgrades.

If you have a pre-assigned seat, check tomorrow to see if your seat has become available to check if you have to chosen for a pre-assigned upgrade.
Old Dec 19, 03, 7:13 am
C

I can only say thank you very very much for help Merry.

Search this Thread