meal request issues/questions

Old Dec 17, 03, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
meal request issues/questions

Months ago I updated my BAEC (US) profile to include a meal preference of Vegetarian-Lacto and it worked fine. Today I got my new passport number and wanted to enter that into my account details, but when I did, it kicked it out saying there was a problem with my "short haul" meal request. (Same if I tried several other types of meals.) Huh? The form doesn't have a separate meal request choice for "short haul", it's just one meal request (tho it is on the same line as short haul seating preference)! I had to change it to "none" for meal request to get it to take my passport info. Then I couldn't change the meal request type back.

(Btw, I tried it from two browsers, hours apart, from two ISPs, just to make sure it wasn't a "simple" issue like that.)

So I just called BA EC Member Support. After endless prerecorded messages which two or three times told me to just go to the website if I want to change my account details, I finally talked to someone who said they put in my meal request at their end.

How (and when) should I verify that they've got my meal request in for my flights (this Sun-21 longhaul, Mon-22 shorthaul, Mon-31 shourthaul then longhaul)? (I want to do it long enough after this to make sure that my website misadventures are out of the way, but long enough before the flight so I can try to fix it if they've got it wrong.) I presume at airport check-in it's too late?
Old Dec 17, 03, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, BD - Gold, SPG - Gold, HH - Gold
Call reservations and give them your booking reference - they will then be able to put your meal request into the system. You should be able to see it at www.checkmytrip.com immediately. Do NOT rely on the meal request in your EC profile.

BTW special meal= no chance of up*****
Old Dec 17, 03, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marklondon101:
Call reservations and give them your booking reference - they will then be able to put your meal request into the system. You should be able to see it at www.checkmytrip.com immediately. Do NOT rely on the meal request in your EC profile.</font>
Thanks. Will do when I'm home Friday morning (which is over two days before my first flight leg so I would hope that's enough time!).
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marklondon101:
BTW special meal= no chance of up*****</font>
Well, I would presume that (crowded Christmastime flight) + (award seat in WT) + (EC Blue [non]status) = no chance of up***** past WT+ (if even that, unpaid) anyway, and my understand was that currently still WT+ food is exactly the same as WT food so THAT particular up***** does not present a food issue.

Btw, is the conflict between meal request and up***** common to all airlines, or is that a quirk particular to BA? It seems backwards if the only people who can get up*****s are those who don't give a [bleep] about what they eat (given that they're presumably not GUARANTEED an up***** and thus may get stuck with "unspecial" food in their originally booked class!).

Old Dec 17, 03, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pretty common to all airlines, not just BA.
Old Dec 19, 03, 3:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickB:
pretty common to all airlines, not just BA.</font>
Not true, no US based airline has this policy, which is why all my travel to the US is with UA.

I also found in the days I went with BA that when paying for club I only got the better special around 50% of the time.

Search this Thread