Club Class travel BOM-LHR

Old Dec 13, 03, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Club Class travel BOM-LHR

Mrs. Flyer and I are unexpectedly traveling Club on BA from BOM-LHR next month. For those on the board that have done this flight - could you please recommend seats? I can't tell if this flight is going to have the 38 or 70 seat Club configuration. The reservation says that seats will be assigned on check in. Can we request seats in advance? We accumulate our miles on AA and have Oneworld Sapphire status - so no BA status at all.

For the uninitiated on BA Club class (i.e., moi), what fun things could/should we look forward to? We have both heard wonderful things about BA Club class and are pretty excited about the trip.
Old Dec 13, 03, 8:59 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
If there are no seats for preassignment, then the limited number of seats they do preassign (I think its 30%) are already gone. However if you register for online check-in on BA.com, you can pick your seats up to 24 hours out (12 hours if you're not an EC member).

There are some pretty comprehensive discussions on seats here. Check if your plan is a 777 or a 747 first, then do a search in this forum.

BA's flat beds are pretty neat, and the window seats are about as private as you can get on an aircraft (probably more private even than F seats). The seats are a bit narrow though.
Old Dec 13, 03, 6:52 pm

Programs: BA GfL
In BA CW, the window seats and the two interior seats in the center row face backwards. So just keep that in mind. If you're in one of these seats, it can be a little tricky to get out of because your path to the aisle can be blocked by your neighbor's fully-reclined seat. You have to hop over them. If you're really concerned about this, sit in the last row of the CW cabin--those seats aren't blocked.

I fly CW plenty, and this route at least once a year, and I don't really find much difference between one row and another in CW (unless you're upstairs in a 747, which is great). On the BOM flight, there are less CW seats and more coach seats. They really pack them in on those routes. Watch out for the battalion of wheelchairs on the jetway.
Old Dec 15, 03, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IC Ambassador, Priority Pass
I flew this route in J back in October and the aircraft was configured with the 70 seats in NCW in both directions. As mentioned by other posters, since you are not a BA Exec Club member, you might want to register on ba.com so that you can check in 12 hours before the flight. Go to www.seatexpert.com to find the best seats on the aircraft.

bvamin
Old Dec 15, 03, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL&CCR, LH HON, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
AFAIK, BOM is always a 744 with 70 NCW seats. Upstairs are 5 rows of 2x2 NCW seats which are impossible to secure w/o status - last flight I was on I had requested a upper cabin window seat 2 months in advance - I got upper deck, but no window, and I am BA gold.

Service in BA NCW is IMHO the best biz class around - quite as simple as that.
Old Dec 16, 03, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
I fly this route a lot, sometimes in first, sometimes in NCW. I agree that NCW is the best biz class around and have always flown on the upper deck (I have no BA status, but am One World Emerald). I prefer the backwards facing window seats, but think any upper deck seat is fine. For a couple, it's kind of neat to be facing one another with the separating fan folded down.
Old Dec 16, 03, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Thanks all for your tips. I called BA - they said that it is currently not even possible to ensure that we will be seated side by side. I made a request for upper desk seating and will leave it at that till we check in (fingers crossed).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rothsteg:
I fly this route a lot, sometimes in first, sometimes in NCW. I agree that NCW is the best biz class around and have always flown on the upper deck (I have no BA status, but am One World Emerald). I prefer the backwards facing window seats, but think any upper deck seat is fine. For a couple, it's kind of neat to be facing one another with the separating fan folded down.</font>

Search this Thread