Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How many BA Miles for pre-ordering Travelex currency?

Old Dec 8, 03, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

I am off to the US on Thursday and while my BA AmEx will serve me well over the 3week period I am going to take some cash with me as well.

I was going to order online through Travelex to earn my 250 BA Miles. I noticed the Buy Back plus option. Obviously it'd be of help to change my US$ back at the same rate upon my return so I looked at this although I spied this bit of text at the bottom of the page...

The commission free offer is only available on foreign exchange transactions (foreign currency notes and foreign currency travellers cheques). There is a maximum total order of 2,500 (excluding charges). Frequent Flyer Points are not awarded in conjunction with this offer

And also in the Buyback Info Popup

BA MILES and AIR MILES awards will be made to British Airways Executive Club and AIR MILES card holders on the net value of Buy Back Plus transactions, i.e.the value of the transaction is calculated after any Buy Back Plus refund has been made. BA MILES and AIR MILES awards will be processed after the 31 day Buy Back Plus time limit has expired

So if I change 250 with Buyback plus option and then take back 50 at the end of the trip, I'll only get 50 worth of miles Or does the line above mean I won't get BA Miles on the 3.50 cost of te Buyback Plus

PLEASE HELP ME I'M A CRETTENOUS INDIVIDUAL!
Old Dec 8, 03, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
PLEASE HELP ME I'M A CRETTENOUS INDIVIDUAL! </font>
Hmmm ...

You get 1 mile per but, I believe, only in 200 units (so no point taking 250 as you still get only 200 miles).

I have bought with the buy back and still received the miles, although I did not exercise my buy back right. I believe that all that happens is that in respect of any money you sell back to them you do not earn miles. Hence they do not post the miles for 28 days.

There are no miles on any commission payable.
Old Dec 8, 03, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might be better off at your local bank or post office, Travelex has some of the worst rates and charges a high commission on transactions. You are better of saving a few quid than getting a measly 250 miles...
Old Dec 8, 03, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
You might be better off at your local bank or post office, Travelex has some of the worst rates and charges a high commission on transactions. You are better of saving a few quid than getting a measly 250 miles...</font>
True, if only they accepted AmEx then we'd be queuing up to use Travelex.....perhaps

change 500 with AmEx Prem Plus, 750 miles + 500 for changing

1250, not bad. Maybe I'll rat on Travelex
Old Dec 8, 03, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
I believe that all that happens is that in respect of any money you sell back to them you do not earn miles</font>
Thats where the bump changed me from intellectual student to crettenous individual

Ho hum, back to see 'How the Gini Coefficient can be used to examine whether economic inequality in cities of the United Kingdom has increased over the last 20 years'

Old Dec 9, 03, 5:37 am
QFF

Programs: Qantas FF/Royal Orchid Plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
You might be better off at your local bank or post office, Travelex has some of the worst rates and charges a high commission on transactions. You are better of saving a few quid than getting a measly 250 miles...</font>
How true !! I am currently checking rates offered by various and have been quoted as follows:

Local Bank 1. USD2180 = AUD3015.
Local Bank 2. USD2180 = AUD3037.
Amex. USD2180 = AUD3053.
Travelex. USD2180 = AUD3170.

I would thus pay AUD155 more with Travelex than the cheapest local bank. I would receive 5170 points (miles)for my AUD155.

Minimum local points (miles) redemption rate is 20000. 4 x 5170 = 20680. 4 x AUD155 = AUD620.

A trip I redeem 20000 points (miles) for, I can purchase for around AUD200 !! Makes Travelex points (miles) here in Oz very expensive !!!!

Cheers QFF

------------------
Qa not Qu
Old Dec 10, 03, 2:54 am

PLUS, Travelex points almost never post. I am still waiting for 2 lots of 1000 miles nearly three months after the transactions. All paperwork has gone in to BA but nothing yet.
Old Dec 10, 03, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago:
PLUS, Travelex points almost never post. I am still waiting for 2 lots of 1000 miles nearly three months after the transactions. All paperwork has gone in to BA but nothing yet.</font>

Get Travelex to sort it out. If you are in the UK their email response is very efficient. If you need the address email me.
Old Dec 10, 03, 9:34 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Sounds like there are mixed results from Travelex.

I think it is commission free but only from www.batravelmoney.com (collect money from Travelex at airport). I have always used buyback and never lost miles for money returned.

In fact mine has usually posted within a couple of weeks.

Search this Thread