Wiki Posts
Search

Longhauls from T1 - any reports?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2003, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Longhauls from T1 - any reports?

I'm scheduled to fly to JNB from T1 next week, and just wondering if any FTers can report on how the switchover is working.

Of course, like all FTers, I'll be flying in FIRST, so I'm particularly interested in hearing how the new premium check-in area is working and what temporary lounge facilities are being offered to F passengers. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
OK, now I can answer my own question.

It's a bit of a hike to the Zone R check-in, but well worth it. It's an oasis compared to the he11ish main hall of T1. I checked in at about 1500 for the early JNB flight, and there was no one else at the entrance to Zone R or at the FIRST check-in desk. Check-in was complete in about 90 seconds, then about 20 steps to the dedicated security area. ONE person in front of me there, so security all told took maybe 60 seconds. At least in my experience, Zone R is

The lounge situation is another matter. The FIRST lounge is not open yet, nor is the Molton Brown spa. FIRST passengers are simply invited to use the Terraces lounge, and as I sit here (16:11) it is PACKED.

Six months from now, longhaul FIRST out of T1 may be OK. But they really shouldn't have moved the flights before the facilities were ready.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 1:40 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Used Zone R for the first time this weekend: what a breeze. No other pax there, got boarding passes for outward flight and return flight the following day within one minute; dedicated security was just as efficient.

At least BA has now opened the lower back section of the Terraces lounge, so more room in what can be a busy place.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Is there any more news on T1 Lounge/Spa facilities? Travelling on 29th December (F) and would like to have something more than Terraces to look forward to!
Old Dec 1, 2003, 6:43 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Londonflyer:
Is there any more news on T1 Lounge/Spa facilities? Travelling on 29th December (F) and would like to have something more than Terraces to look forward to!</font>
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...o/public/en_gb

Molton Brown Spa- 'end of November 03'
First lounge - early 04
Old Dec 1, 2003, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Spa available end of November '03 - so has anyone seen exidence of it being open yet? I'll be there this Friday, so can have a look around for myself, but was just wondering if anyone had any update on the status.

Also, what are the 'alternative arrangements' for pre-flighgt dining?
Old Dec 1, 2003, 7:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
I used the new "Premium Check-In" last week and we were through the empty hall via First Class in minutes - it was dead (compared to the zoo in the main terminal). Security was also great as it is a new/seperate area from the old one although with only two lanes so that may get pretty busy at peak times. It brings you out into the main shopping area rather than at the far end with the "old" security zone.

I was refused entry to the lounge for the first time ever (flying on award tix) because it was busy and I had more than one guest (i.e., wife plus two babies). I was not impressed. The First lounge was not open and the Terraces still seemed to be boarded up on the left part (directly behind the desks) and the only open part of the lounge was the one down the corridor to the right but I don't know what state of that was 'cos they wouldn't let me in.........
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:14 am

Duncfly:

Why were you not allowed into Lounge on award tickets ? I thought this was BA policy that award tickets wew treated as revenue . Or have I missunderstood and your award tickets were in Y ???

Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:26 am
dnw

Its always a good idea to read whats written

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duncfly:
I was refused entry to the lounge for the first time ever (flying on award tix) because it was busy and I had more than one guest (i.e., wife plus two babies).</font>

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited Dec 08, 2003).]
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duncfly:
(i.e., wife plus two babies) </font>
So you were in First and you left the wife with the two babies in World Traveler? I guess with a household account they can earn all the miles and keep you sitting up front
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:54 am

DNW : I was after clarification. I would never Travel in one class, with the wife and Kids in another. ( Who could get away with that) There is a mention of F check on, and I assume that all the party were in the same class on award tickets. So was just checking that BA had not started refusing lounge entry for Club or First award tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.