Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2003, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Random seat assignment

Bit of an odd one - I've just booked a domestic shuttle from London to Edinburgh for next Feb (being the sadist Scot that I am, I'm flying north to watch Scotland get trounced by England at Murrayfield...).

On checking "Manage my bookings", I've been allocated seat 5F on the return flight from EDI to LCY. My outbound shows "No seat requested".

I didn't think domestic flights got seat allocations done in advance?

And I've just noticed a spelling mistake in my surname (one letter is wrong). Any thoughts on whether I need to get this corrected, or if it can stay as is (one letter wrong out of 12).
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:59 am
dnw

Aren't the LCY routes CitiExpress? maybe the policy is different from mainline domestics.

As for getting the name changed, they can't change it once booked (if you have a flexi ticket they can cancel and rebook but not otherwise) but they can add a note to the PNR metioning the error. I wouldnt bother for domestic- they probably won't even notice, especially if your card number is correct.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 9:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shuttle-Bored:
And I've just noticed a spelling mistake in my surname (one letter is wrong). Any thoughts on whether I need to get this corrected, or if it can stay as is (one letter wrong out of 12).</font>
The BA rule for name changes is:

If it's 3 letters or less wrong, then it can be changed. If it's 4 or more, no-can-do.

If it's a P-Tkt, I would not worry about it since you said it was only 1 letter off. It's nothing to worry about, just mention the mistake upon check in and the will either make a note of it or print out a new ticket for you right there.

If it's an E-Tkt, just give them a call, explain the situation, and ask them to re-issue the E-Tkt with the correct spelling for no ADDCOL. It will take 2 seconds.

BA USA

[This message has been edited by BRITISH AIRWAYS USA (edited Nov 29, 2003).]
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"I didn't think domestic flights got seat allocations done in advance?"

It's hard to keep up with BA, but they were doing seat assignments on domestic flights on full fare tickets, I don't know if that still applies

Dave
Old Nov 30, 2003, 4:57 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BRITISH AIRWAYS USA:
If it's an E-Tkt, just give them a call, explain the situation, and ask them to re-issue the E-Tkt with the correct spelling for no ADDCOL. It will take 2 seconds.</font>
UK Reservations and LGW ticket desk told me categorically that they could not correct the spelling of my name (missed out one 'l' in a double 'l') but could only add a note to the e-ticket PNR.

It was about 6 months ago, maybe things have changed since then. Or maybe its the usual BA thing of ask another person!

Old Nov 30, 2003, 6:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
If you make a mistake, and you call within 24 hours they will do it. I like a stupid twit got Him Indoors name the wrong way round. it was such a patently obvious mistake that they did after 3 weeks.

Him Indoors rang and said that he was married to a stupid Lady Dog (not quite the expression) and they did it.

I told him that this may be the case, but that that I had never heard of a Lady Dog marrying a Pig. He said that we would probably qualify for the Guinesss Book of Records. I said that the only book I would qualify for would be the Litany of Saints.

What this has to do with randm seats you may well ask!
Old Nov 30, 2003, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
[B
It's hard to keep up with BA, but they were doing seat assignments on domestic flights on full fare tickets, I don't know if that still applies

Dave[/B]</font>
You do get pre-assignment - but very hap-hazard. Always pre-assignes near the back too - so you have to change on OLCI or hope they sweep to find the silvers angolds and move them forward.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 6:28 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You do get pre-assignment - but very hap-hazard. Always pre-assignes near the back too - so you have to change on OLCI or hope they sweep to find the silvers angolds and move them forward.</font>
I've been assigned 5F, so not too far back.

Thanks for all the advice on the name error - sadly my TA is closed on Sunday, so will have to wait and give them a call tomorrow...
Old Nov 30, 2003, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">being the sadist Scot that I am, I'm flying north to watch Scotland get trounced by England at Murrayfield</font>
Don't forget it's only been four years. I shouted so hard that afternoon I lost my voice for nearly a week.

And I think you meant masochist rather than sadist. Not that I'm an expert on S&M...
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:06 am
Lux

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shuttle-Bored:
I've just noticed a spelling mistake in my surname (one letter is wrong). Any thoughts on whether I need to get this corrected, or if it can stay as is (one letter wrong out of 12).</font>
I've not been able to use OLCI a couple of years ago when the name was wrong, but that was because it missed off the 'Mr' in my booking therefore couldn't tie in with the EC record. Might have changed now.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:27 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> And I think you meant masochist rather than sadist. Not that I'm an expert on S&M... </font>
Ooops - well corrected. Though it could just be my general rugby confusion after having been mandated to support England through the last few weeks of the RWC.....

Not that I begrudge them the support one bit - though my new random habit of humming Swing Low,Sweet Chariot will have to be tamed before I cross the border again....
Old Dec 1, 2003, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Just to close this one off - spoke to my TA this morning, who called BA, and within 5 mins, my reservation was corrected - no problem whatsover.

Thanks as ever for the useful advice!

And I still have 5F pre-assigned!
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:43 pm

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
I once booked a flight by sending a fax to BA. They did the booking on the name of MRS JuPe, when it should have been MR JuPe (Finnish names' gender is not always as obvious as in English). The booking reference had to be changed, so I suspect that they did a new booking.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lux:
I've not been able to use OLCI a couple of years ago when the name was wrong, but that was because it missed off the 'Mr' in my booking therefore couldn't tie in with the EC record. Might have changed now.</font>
Nope, this type of problem is still there. A colleague of mine still has similar problems because his legal name (and his name reflected in the EC) is longer than that accepted by ticketing. He's never been able to use OLCI. (I rarely can either, but that's because it's been slow or non-responsive).

--Grog--

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.