The Brat in 4F

Old Nov 27, 03, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
The Brat in 4F

There was a little b**tard sat behind me today who was the most badly behaved sod I have ever seen.

Screaming, banging the tray table up and down, screaming, kicking the seat back, screaming and more screaming.

I implored his mum to make him stop.

"Hush darling," was all she could manage.

I think 126 people felt like I did, like they wanted to shove their Deli Bags down his throat.
Old Nov 27, 03, 4:10 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Could be worse.

On a recent R***air flight from RHE, I had the joy of sitting across from a screaming wean. I can handle that, but his parents' excuse was "oh, he gets terrified when he flies, we have to put up with this every month when we come over here" (nice, I thought...)

Anyway, this I can handle, I'm an expert at filtering out noise. The plane started off, ready to take off (the only flight out of RHE, in fact), and the Mum got up to go to the toilet with the kid to change his nappy. She was quickly sat back down by the FAs, and not at all happy.

So, what did she do? Wait until we were airborne and quickly hop up to go to the toilet? No. She changed the kid's nappy in the seat. OK, maybe she could have got away with it by doing it nice and quickly, although that's a challenge in those tiny, battered seats. But she didn't get away with it. We hit turbulence, and the nappy bounced up, and landed, business side down on the (unrelated) neighbouring passenger's lap.

Although my guilt at the time was doing its best to make me suppress it, I couldn't help but collapse (well, my seats was about to) into hysterics. So glad I didn't sit there...
Old Nov 27, 03, 4:25 pm
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
There was a little b**tard sat behind me today who was the most badly behaved sod I have ever seen.</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"Hush darling," was all she could manage.</font>

Old Nov 27, 03, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold...Aah how nice! HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond,AA Yellow + Tesco
Urgh!

I know the feeling! I had a brat recently behind me kicking and pushing the chair. And like you say the parents don't want to make an issue as:

A) They are already embarrased

B) Based on my Nieces behaviour asking them to stop makes it worse!

Hopefully they got their revenge when they got home. Maybe they threw him in the boot for the journey home!?

In fact, maybe I can ask about my seat etiquette. A web site I read a while back was a chap who claimed to be a frequent US flyer and had written a flyers etiquette and he said it was an absolute no-no to recline your seat without asking the person behind you?

What do you lot think? In my view you should just recline away! I paid for this space so I'm gonna use it :-) Though I try not to recline in one fell swoop if they still have the catering tray.

R
Old Nov 27, 03, 5:18 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aerotec:
What do you lot think? In my view you should just recline away! I paid for this space so I'm gonna use it :-) Though I try not to recline in one fell swoop if they still have the catering tray.</font>
I never recline during a meal service. When reclining, I do it slowly and gently. Once the cabin lights are dimmed on a night/evening flight, recline permission has been granted.
Old Nov 27, 03, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aerotec:

What do you lot think? In my view you should just recline away! I paid for this space so I'm gonna use it :-) Though I try not to recline in one fell swoop if they still have the catering tray.
R
</font>
Be nice during meals but otherwise agree - you've paid for it, recline it.
Old Nov 28, 03, 1:15 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
Be nice during meals but otherwise agree - you've paid for it, recline it.</font>
Please be extra nice during meals...we noticed in WT on our last two flights that, even a slight recline of the seat in front of you leads to the back of their seat knocking over any wine bottles (short variety) you have on the tray. Happened on the outbound journey and, since we hadn't learned our lesson, on the inbound as well.

Fortunately, it was as good as empty the first trip and I was quick to catch it the second: nothing spilled either time. But without catching it, it would have been quite a red wine bath.

--Grog--
Old Nov 28, 03, 4:18 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
All I've got to say is where is jongar when you need him
Old Nov 28, 03, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Be nice during meals but otherwise agree - you've paid for it, recline it.</font>
There are lots of rights one pays for but does not necessarily exercise, out of consideration for others. Depending how cramped the seating is, the length of the glight and whether it is day or night, it would make journeys much less stressful if people applied some common sense to the reclining of their seats, rather than just saying "I'm entitled so I will do it".

Often one person reclining sets in motion a domino effect back through the aircraft. This is particularly galling on a shortish flight where the original recliner is small and does not really need the recline to start with. I have noticed that some people go into maximum recline mode as a matter of principle and leave it that way throughout the flight irrespective of what is going on.

Has anyone seen or tried the 'defense' tool which blocks recline of the seat in fornt. How does it actually work ??

Old Nov 28, 03, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
Has anyone seen or tried the 'defense' tool which blocks recline of the seat in fornt. How does it actually work ??

</font>
?????????????????????? You mean other than kness or pushing it back

[This message has been edited by fraisse10 (edited Nov 28, 2003).]
Old Nov 28, 03, 6:53 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fraisse10:
?????????????????????? You mean other than kness or pushing it back

</font>
Ahhh, the Knee Defender....

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/011618.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/007393.html

-- Dambus

Old Nov 28, 03, 7:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dambus:
Ahhh, the Knee Defender....
</font>
Would that be the same knee defender that was featured on Graham Norton's programme last night?

(I do hasten to add that it was my flatmate watching it, and he was suitably impressed by my flyergeek credentials at knowing what the thing was on sight...)
Old Nov 28, 03, 7:49 am

Re. objectionable kids, I'd welcome any constructive tips on how to deal with them, because there just doesn't seem to be a workable solution. You can't clump them (joke), or their parents, and the crew are equally powerless. Had a brat in J swinging on the back of my seat like a baboon throughout a flight to the Caribbean once and all it's nanny could muster was, "Darling, please mind the nice man's chair", and another F flight back from MRU ruined by a couple of sibling brats, all fired-up on an E-number frenzy, screaming and throwing things around the cabin like grenades.

Re. the Knee Defender, what kind of loser would even think of it and who wouldn't be absolutely incandescent to have their own seat restricted in this way? Perhaps their buyers also consider these the epitome of cool. Freaks.

[Edited for better link]

[This message has been edited by Dakota (edited Nov 28, 2003).]
Old Nov 28, 03, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by stut:...Graham Norton's programme last night...it was my flatmate watching it...</font>
That old excuse
Old Nov 30, 03, 1:42 am

....worse enough with all the overpopulation that people still get children and make more and more people suffering in the world. Why the f*** do they need to fly with those *******s? Can't they wait ten years until they are grown up and old enough?

Search this Thread