4 Days/Nights in London Pre-Christmas

Old Nov 25, 03, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
4 Days/Nights in London Pre-Christmas

Well...my wife and I are considering a 3-4 night trip to London from Dec. 19 to the 22nd or 23rd. I have to be in Europe thru the 19th, and I am planning on cashing in BA miles for her to come over to London on Friday morning (arriving Friday evening) and then we'd fly home together on Monday or Tuesday afternoon. I've been able to confirm hotel rooms using Starpoints at the Sheraton Park Tower, so we're all set there.

We've been to London before...but would appreciate some help with suggestions for things to do: theatre, dining, etc. (including possible day excursions).

Thanx in advance.

[This message has been edited by nologic (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
Old Nov 26, 03, 4:13 am

Programs: BA - Gold, BD - Gold, SPG - Gold, HH - Gold
Have a look at:
http://www.visitbritain.com/

Old Nov 26, 03, 6:38 am

I recently had a pretty fine meal at Rhodes24 - located on the 24th floor of the old NatWest Tower in London. The food was fine, the view absolutely superb! I can't recommend it highly enough - see http://www.tower42.co.uk/ under "Services" for more details.

After your meal take a trip to the bar on the 42nd floor - one a clear dark nights it's absolutely amazing.
Old Nov 26, 03, 6:55 am

try Gordon Ramsay at Claridges, imo best value set price lunch in London>!

http://www.gordonramsay.com/site/index.html

tava a great trip!

Old Nov 26, 03, 10:49 am

Just returned from a similar trip with my wife. If you have not then please go and see "Anything Goes". For dinner try Tamarind and Cinnamon Club. Tamarind is the best indian restaurant around. it also has one Michelin Star. Ivy did not live up to its hype....waste of money and meal. Have fun.
Old Nov 26, 03, 12:22 pm

I strongly recommend you consult this guide before eating anywhere in London www.hardens.com it is excellent in my experience.
Old Nov 26, 03, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Thanx...we aren't a big fan of Indian food per se, but that must be pretty good to have 1*.

The concierge has suggested Square as his number one restaurant for contemporary and great, not classic french or too heavy.

I think the restaurant at the Park Tower (one to One) may be very good, especially the first night when we will be a little tired and want some thing light, like seafoood.

What about the best contemporary Italian restaurant?

As for theatre, he recommended Arthur Miller's The Price, and the typical musicals, none of which seem very new and exciting, albeit we have heard that Anything Goes is very good. He also recommended See You Next Tuesday, a French comedy.
Old Nov 29, 03, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone comment on/recommend the following plays (we are looking to select two):

The Price
The Pillowman
Stones in His Pockets
Betrayal
Anything Goes

Most of the the musicals that are out right now seem too fluffy... we both like Andrew Lloyd Webber's classics, but neither Bombay Dreams nor Tell Me on a Sunday seem to do it. We like Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Phantom, etc...

So, we're hoping for some good suggestions...

Old Nov 29, 03, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
Hmm. Want to really enjoy London?

Go ice-skating at Somerset House or Hampton Court Palace (prebook). Go on the London Eye early in your stay. Drink port by the bumper at Gordon's Wine Bar on Villiers Street. Attend Evensong at the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace or, failing that, St Paul's or the Abbey. See the pictures at the Courtauld Gallery (again at Somerset House) and the Wallace Collection. Eat at J. Sheekey (fish, handy for theatres). Take in a lunchtime concert at Wigmore Hall. See the Wren Churches in the City. Eat whitebait at the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich. See Greenwich - London's Versailles. Smoke a Hvana in the Divan at JJ Fox, St James's Street. Buy wine and have yourself weighed at Berry Bros.,next door. Get lost in the British Museum. And the V & A.

Avoid Tate Modern, Rules restaurant, any cashmere shop, Fortnums, Harrods, County Hall's "museums", Tussauds & basically anywhere else you've ever heard of!

Trust me.
Old Nov 29, 03, 4:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
Can anyone comment on/recommend the following plays (we are looking to select two):

The Price
The Pillowman
Stones in His Pockets
Betrayal
Anything Goes

Most of the the musicals that are out right now seem too fluffy... we both like Andrew Lloyd Webber's classics, but neither Bombay Dreams nor Tell Me on a Sunday seem to do it. We like Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Phantom, etc...

So, we're hoping for some good suggestions...

</font>
I saw Stones in His Pockets on its opening night several years ago and thought it was brilliant! Two actors play the roles of 15 characters so convincingly I laughed out loud and cried.

I haven't seen any of the others on your list, but if you are wanting to avoid musicals, you should scratch Anything Goes ...

Enjoy your time in London!

Search this Thread