Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA faces competition from Cathay, Virgin on SYD and JFK routes

Old Nov 27, 03, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs

Let battle commence! Good news for the punters, not so good for BA. What do others think?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ing%20Standard

[This message has been edited by fraisse10 (edited Nov 27, 2003).]
Old Nov 27, 03, 9:43 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, BA, UA, QF..
Story from the London Evening Standard:

"...Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific was granted much-prized rights to operate on the lucrative transatlantic route between Heathrow and New York, currently dominated by four US and UK carriers... At the same time, Virgin Atlantic has won the right to take on BA and Qantas on services to Australia, which are predicted to boom after the success of the Rugby World Cup..."

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/art...ing%20Standard

Old Nov 27, 03, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After reading the initial reviews on the new VS suites I don't think BA has much to fear when it comes to premium passengers, somehow I suspect that demand for JFK and SYD are high enough to let others offer flights as well...
Old Nov 27, 03, 10:07 am

Programs: BA - Gold, BD - Gold, SPG - Gold, HH - Gold
CX for LHR-JFK is great news - great service and can still earn BAmiles over the atlantic - let's hope they reduce prices!
Old Nov 27, 03, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it to do with the bilateral nature of the agreements, but it's rather sad that CX get the rights over BD. CX won't have much (any?) brand recogniation for transatlantic services and they already serve JFK via YVR. SQ suffer the same problem with their Europe - US routes and end up discounting quite significantly - and they don't serve NYC via the West Coast.

Given the loads to SIN/BKK over the last few months on the Kangeroo route, I would say there is plenty of traffic to go round. And isn'r routing via HKG a fair bit longer than via SIN?
Old Nov 27, 03, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Given that SQ own 49% of Virgin Atlantic, access to HKG-SYD is great news for SQ.
CX aircraft arrive in LHR and have to wait all day for the services back to HKG. This is a brilliant deal for all concerned, perhaps except BA! RTW itineraries on CX will now be possible : LHR JFK YVR HKG LON. All assuming this deal gets back the un-elected bureaucrats in Brussels!
Old Nov 27, 03, 1:51 pm

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, LH Senator, NW SilverElite, CX & BD
actually flying LHR-SYD via HKG is about 100 miles shorter than via SIN
Old Nov 27, 03, 4:34 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
apparently CX are assigning 6 aircraft to the RTW route, with a backup reserved - they dont want the UA tech episodes to be repeated
Old Nov 28, 03, 8:21 am

Programs: BA
I don't think its bad news for BA at all.

They can now have a lot more code sharing from Hong Kong on cathay pacific to places like Auckland and Taipei etc etc as per the press release.

I would also think that as VS are allowed to fly through HGK to Australia, why can't BA.
(Yes, I know, competing with QF & CX, but the could code share)

The deal wasn't Virgin specific.

Search this Thread