Avis miles increases - now 750 a rental for Gold

Old Oct 5, 03, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Avis miles increases - now 750 a rental for Gold

And here is the link

https://www.avisba.com/home_gold.jsp

Lucky Silver members now get 625, and Blue says at 500. The link to this was on my account on the BA website.

There a whole host of other 'benefits', most of which look like the standard marketing padding. No sign of the cumulative bonuses.

Apologies if this has been posted before.
Old Oct 5, 03, 4:19 pm
dnw

Hmm this is the same as the 25%/50% mileage bonuses, perhaps they will become the norm for all partner activity
Old Oct 5, 03, 4:22 pm

I just completed an Avis rental so I'll be interested in how many points I get... does one need to book thru the above portal to get the extra points? Do we need to use the BA AWD?
Old Oct 6, 03, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYZC2:
I just completed an Avis rental so I'll be interested in how many points I get... does one need to book thru the above portal to get the extra points? Do we need to use the BA AWD?</font>
I'm assuming you don't need to use the BA AWD to get the extra miles as it does refer to all qualifying rates. You'd be best ask Avis about whether you have to use the portal.
Old Oct 6, 03, 11:02 am

On the German version of the website it says that you need the BA AWD codes for the 500/625/750 miles/rental: N744100 for Blue, N744300 for Silver and N744400 for Gold (is this a new one? Never heard of N744400 before).
Old Nov 28, 03, 8:02 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Gold, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Travelling to MRS for New Year, have had "issues" with Avis at Marseille-Provence Airport before (100 "damage" charge without any explanation, no Preferred counter, surly and unhelpful service...) so was planning to try Hertz for a change.

Recent huge BA/Avis push prompted me to look at the package again since Avis are BA's "preferred" partner. Why so difficult? According to www.avisba.com, the gold benefits include 'No additional driver fees' and 'Guaranteed car with 48 hour advance reservation'. SO why when I ask for a quote does it ask me if I want an additional driver at 24/rental? Do I select it and have to argue when I get to the counter, or deselect it and run the risk that we're not covered? And why are there no cars available in any class - why can't I get a guaranteed one, since I'm more than 48 hours away from my rental?

I just got another 1500 bonus BA miles voucher from BA, which would be nice, apart from the fact that the last two I presented (one at MRS, one at BCN) vanished without appearing on my account (Avis say talk to BA; BA say talk to Avis)

Is it just me, or is Avis customer service completely hopeless?
Old Nov 28, 03, 8:16 am

dallardice - Couldn't agree more. I've had the Avis/BA infinity loop a few times and it goes on for ages until you wonder if it's healthy to be so bothered about 1/20th of a European Y flight, but it's the principle. Eventually, one of them usually capitulates and applies the miles, but not always. The wheeze I hate with the smaller, far-flung or tropical locations is Avis saying - after the fact - that they are "non-automated" (whatever that means or what possible relevance to me), and that therefore no basic, bonus or voucher miles are due.

I've also had vouchers disappear from BCN, and similar problems in France. Once dropped-off very early morning in the Alps to pick up a reserved car with my snowboarding buddy, it was well below freezing, and the office was closed. We waited two hours, being repeatedly reassured by Avis central reservations that salvation was nigh, until they finally told us to take a cab for another hour to another location, where we picked up a car two groups smaller! Needless to say, that was a free rental...

On the positive side though, I usually get excellent service from Avis, particularly from my regular locations, and often drive out in something very swank after reserving something very basic. Best result so far was reserving a Fiesta from TXL - and leaving in an Audi A8 4.2!

Search this Thread