Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Rugby World Cup - go you good thing!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
OT: Rugby World Cup - go you good thing!

I need some advice (please ) from the regulars here at one of my favourite places on FT.

Please imagine yourself in your favourite pub next Saturday morning, watching the (pick the obvious winner here) Wallabies annihilate (pick the obvious loser here) England.

My question is:

How would you expect the token Australian in your pub to behave?

All advice appreciated!
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"How would you expect the token Australian in your pub to behave?"

With dignity...No one likes a gloating winner

Will the pub be open at that time though...Isn't it on at 09:30 ish?

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by willyroo:
Please imagine yourself in your favourite pub next Saturday morning, watching the (pick the obvious winner here) Wallabies annihilate (pick the obvious loser here) England.

My question is:

</font>
Is FT an appropriate place for purely academic discussion?

Ever since the last (football) World Cup pubs here have been opening at the most unusual hours for sporting events. There was a spate of controversy about the licence extensions being granted (or sometimes refused) to allow them to serve alcohol at 7 am - which rapidly died down as soon as pubs reported that the vast majority of customers were only ordering coffee anyway.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:28 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Can anyone sort me out with two tickets for Sydney? E-mail in my profile.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:35 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
[BWill the pub be open at that time though[/B]</font>
Kick off at 09:00 GMT most pubs are opening at 08:00 GMT.

Willyroo, are you over this way?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:37 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I've been trying to explain to people here in the UK how emotional I am over this game. Then I ask them "Imagine England playing in a football world cup final, how emotional would you be ?" and then I say "Now imagine you are playing Germany", and they then see my point ....
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:51 am

with the final in 4 days time,
there is no inappropriate place to discuss the game in my eyes!

For South Londoners ... the Clapham Grand is opening its doors at 8.30 and is showing the game on a 42 ft screen!!

Waddayawannabe?

Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by willyroo:
My question is:

All advice appreciated!
</font>
And in answer to your original question Willyroo, I find I get more satisfaction by not saying much, rather than whooping about how great we think we are.

It also helps if (God forbid) the final score isn't what we want - you get people coming up to you saying what a great game it was instead of jeering at you.

Just my thoughts on how to enjoy a hopefully spectacular game of Rugby!

Edited for grammar

[This message has been edited by rexee (edited Nov 18, 2003).]
Old Nov 18, 2003, 3:05 am

uh oh, if i remember rightly, last time thadocta started a thread like this it came back to bite big time!!
Old Nov 18, 2003, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Ahh - I've just returned from a great session at the BNE Qantas Pub, and received some further tips.

The last big rugby event was Lions v Wallabies final in 2001, and I was over for my brother-in-law's wedding near Morpeth (north of Newcastle). One of the pubs was open, and I recall having a pint or 2 of John Smiths - and nearly had to run when the winning Wallaby try was supported 16,000km away with the expat's words "go you good thing".

Bards can add text now to describe the silence in that room...

So yes, I do expect to be in a UK pub, probably near Ross on Wye, drinking pints of bitter (none of this lager rubbish) on the day of the RWC final.

(Edited for shpelling deranged by HPs in the QP)

[This message has been edited by willyroo (edited Nov 18, 2003).]
Old Nov 18, 2003, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Pretty much every pub round here in Richmond/Twickenham is opening at 8ish for bacon and eggs and beer (separately). Lots of expats around here, but they are used by now to England beating them.....they'll be fine!

A JOKE

* An Englishman, an Australian and a South African are drinking in a Richmond/Earls Court/whatever pub. They drink their beers, then the South African pulls out a gun and shoots all their glasses to smithereens. He growls: "Where I come from in South Africa, we have so much bl**dy sand to make glasses, we don't need to drink from the same one twice".

They order more beers, drink them, then the Ozzie draws a gun; repeat performance: same little speech.

Another round of beers, then the Englishman draws his gun and shoots the Australian and the South African dead. He orders another pint and replaces his gun, remarking: "Round here we have so many bl**dy expats, we don't need to drink with the same ones twice!"

[This message has been edited by fraisse10 (edited Nov 18, 2003).]
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:35 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
It doesn't really matter what you say when the Ausies beat the poms this weekend. The really important games were last weekend when the kiwi's were sent packing and the froggies got their flogging.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
It doesn't really matter what you say when the Ausies beat the poms this weekend. </font>
In your dreams I am looking forward to "bill" being brought back to England.

[This message has been edited by manfromoz (edited Nov 18, 2003).]
Old Nov 18, 2003, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
It doesn't really matter what you say when the Ausies beat the poms this weekend. The really important games were last weekend when the kiwi's were sent packing and the froggies got their flogging.</font>
Old Nov 18, 2003, 6:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Please discuss this quietly. Him Indoors is (as we speak) sitting in a CW seat on his way to SID. For all the banter here, I wanted him to watch England win something. He has a place to stay - and yes a ticket. I have pulled in a real favour for that one, but it was promised and it has materialised.

I bought him his flights. No, he is not on a staff ticket (there aren't any at the best of times) and I am so interested in the whole proceedings that I am off to Lisbon. he is with his best mate, and I am going with a best girl friend.

I hope that all of you who adore this will have a wonderful time. After Sunday, I have nearly finished apologising to the neighbours for the noise from my house. His colleagues are green with envy, and I am probably soft headed and soft hearted for spending that kind of money on him.

How many tier points will he get for this? Will I be able to go on using the loungees with him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.