OT: Rugby World Cup - go you good thing!

Old Nov 21, 2003, 4:28 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I had heard that the England squad training session earlier today was postponed for 2 hours after they found an unusual white substance on the pitch.........

After much investigation and deliberation, the session was restarted when they discovered it was actually the try line

Come on the Aussies !!!

John P.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 4:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
England would feel right at home with the weather in Sydney today. You'd be hard pressed to figure out which country you were in judging by the conditions. Constant light rain, 20 dgerees, no wind, no sun. Of course, it'll turn fine, warm and hot the instant the game starts! Go Oz.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 4:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DrillerNic:
I guess he'd not seen Ronan O'Gara after an Australian called Duncan McRae went to work on his face....

Remember the way he laughed as he was sent off?
</font>
wow, i know dunc, & i've found him to be a good guy -- i'll have to ask him about this (or is it a subject best left unraised?)
Old Nov 21, 2003, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA 3MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
We did. But let's not talk about that game

Robbie got his injury last year in a Saracens v Leicester game. I was working for Sarries in the players' area sorting kit bags and the team doctor said he had never seen anyone left in such a bad way by another player. Robbie was very shaken up - and he doesn't exactly frighten easily. I'll remember that moment when Martin Johnson lifts 'Bill' tomorrow morning...
</font>
Welcome back Ali... and the most shocking thing is not that Johnson is (despite being amazingly talented) one of the absolute dirtiest and violent (with malicious intent) international rugby players in history.... no, the thing that disgusts me is the way the RFU has continually supported his reprehensible behaviour with the ludicrous "suspensions" they have given him over the years to ensure he could always still play in the important matches.

Mind you, professional rugby is full of dirty cheats (remember Neil Back's "hand of god" in the scrum in the Heineken Cup the other year), but Johnson is just flat out violent.

So, I just hope for a (relatively) clean game, and may it be won by good rugby...my own call ? England to win with a dour yet tough display of 10 man rugby, with Neil Back and George Smith beating the living s*** out of each other at some point

Old Nov 22, 2003, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Half time and looking good...Australia haven't scored for 35 minutes and England have scored a try. Go England, go!
Old Nov 22, 2003, 4:53 am

Old Nov 22, 2003, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
England 17
Australia 14

What a game - and yes, the best team won. Now I'm going to be seriously broke, but at least I'll have fun doing it!
Old Nov 22, 2003, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
new profile
Old Nov 22, 2003, 5:20 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old Nov 22, 2003, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
What do you think they will fill Bill with for its journey home in F? A secret stash of Krug

Pretty mad here in Richmond/Twick; despite the rain, hundreds of singing, drinking, flag-clad rugby fans are spilling out on to the street, waving at honking cars and buses. Makes you glad to be alive!

ENGER-LAND!!!
Old Nov 22, 2003, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's face it, a hollow victory. We only won 'cos it was raining!

Willyroo, I hope you have deep pockets - you may need them tody!

[This message has been edited by Swanhunter (edited Nov 22, 2003).]
Old Nov 23, 2003, 5:31 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I'll tell you what. When the poms let us take the ashes home, we'll let them take Bill home. Fair trade I reckon.

Congrats to Johnny and co. It was a great game, and great to see that Englad have finally won something worthwhile.

At least the Ausies did what was necessary to make a game of it. And they managed the more important task of sending the Kiwis home early!
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Trying to bring some BA context into this thread...

Upon my return on BA222 yesterday after 10am, I was expecting to see the usual late morning relaxed silence in the T4 arrivals lounge. How wrong I was - a crowd of 15 loud BA customers sitting and (most of them) standing around the TV.

Another 5-10, including myself, were having fun watching the rugby fans first fall into despair and then jump through the ceiling from joy.

What a different lounge experience...
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My phone went off in Lisbon. My beloved, my Darling was euphoric with delight.What he does not know is the surprise he is going to get on the last leg home to LHR.

I am not a sports fan. But I am so so proud that the real sportsmen of England, as opposed to the brainless in boots have done so well.

Of course HI flew BA - but may I say that QF are a very acceptable substitute!
Old Nov 23, 2003, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
If I hear the phrase "spirit of 1966" one more time, I'm going to be sick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.