Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greenland super turbulence, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Greenland super turbulence, anyone?

Last spring coming back from europe, the 7474 was near greenland and shook for about 2 minutes. The captain said we hit bumpy air...I would guess it has to do with the cold ocean air hitting the greenland landmass....anyone else have this while flying from europe to north america?
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YES

I love turbulence and when all the FA's move back to their jumpseats you KNOW it's real turbulence...
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:39 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I had this flying into Kangerlussauq on the old Grønlandsfly 757... It's an, umm, interesting descent.

So, yes, I'm not surprised you get that on transatlantic routes.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:43 pm

Had a flight last winter where it took almost 3 hours before they turned off the seatbelt sign, from LHR-SEA. The first 30-40 mins the Captain had the Cabin crew seated,then off and on for the next 2+ hours.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Anybody experienced showjumping in a airline flatbed?

Old Nov 14, 2003, 4:50 pm

On the SEA-LHR run, either crossing the Canadian Rockies, or over Greenland. About eight years ago, we hit a nasty bit over Greenland that kept up for half an hour. The in-flight movie was "Apollo 13" and the turbulence neatly coincided with the point in the movie where the spacecraft exploded and started tumbling out of control.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
YES

I love turbulence and when all the FA's move back to their jumpseats you KNOW it's real turbulence...
</font>
I thought I was the only one!
Old Nov 15, 2003, 3:49 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:
I thought I was the only one! </font>
Sad to say it, but me too - especially when I am just going to sleep - kind of rocking the cradle!
Old Nov 15, 2003, 8:10 am

Got it yesterday, LHR-IAD somewhere over the Atlantic, we got shaken about a bit for a hour or so, FA's got sent back to their seats. The odd stomach falling down after you did every now again. I kinda like it but then I get fed up of it.

Shake, Rattle and Roll.

Only had 1 flight where people where reaching for the bags and you could hear the odd wretching noise.....

[This message has been edited by DCBritboy (edited Nov 15, 2003).]
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:19 am
dnw

I dont mind turbulence but still air is really scary... very very rare though
Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:19 pm

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
I dont mind turbulence but still air is really scary... very very rare though</font>
A couple of times I have crossed another plane's wake at right angles. Its like hitting a pothole, except that everyone screams....
Old Nov 17, 2003, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
YES

</font>
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:22 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Know what you mean whmere - hit the wake of a 747 at right angles on our way to Cork in an A320 a couple of years ago - a v. interesting experience .....

Wouldn't want it again for a while, mind ..

John P.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chucko:
On the SEA-LHR run, either crossing the Canadian Rockies, or over Greenland. About eight years ago, we hit a nasty bit over Greenland that kept up for half an hour. The in-flight movie was "Apollo 13" and the turbulence neatly coincided with the point in the movie where the spacecraft exploded and started tumbling out of control.</font>
What a delight! LOL
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetcity405:
Last spring coming back from europe, the 7474 was near greenland and shook for about 2 minutes. The captain said we hit bumpy air...I would guess it has to do with the cold ocean air hitting the greenland landmass....anyone else have this while flying from europe to north america?</font>
[/geophysics hat on]

Actually, the ocean surrounding Greenland is a whole heck of a lot warmer than the landmass. At the surface, cold air drains from the summit of the ice sheet in the form of gravity (i.e. slope) driven winds, called katabatic winds. The ocean, while a bit chilly for bathing, is the major source of heat transport to the northern high latitudes. There is nothing special about the Greenland Ice Sheet that causes unusual amounts of turbulence. CAT (clear air turbulence) is relatively common over Greenland, but that is probably related to the position and behavior of the jet stream.

If you want to experience good[bad] turbulence, try flying in and out of DEN on a summer's late afternoon when the 'mountain wave' conditions are in effect. It's usually enough to make you wish you had rented a car for the trip to SLC!

[/geophysics hat off]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.