Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Off-topic: What is this royal rumor regarding Prince Charles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off-topic: What is this royal rumor regarding Prince Charles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2003, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ready2Go:
Actually, I think they acknowledged that Charles is the royal who was not involved in the incident. </font>
Could it be that Prince Charles has the same proclivities as his favorite uncle Lord Mountbatten?

Need we say gender preference could explain why Prince Charles never parlayed his bachelorhood and royal status into the kind of relationships that would provide for paparazzi fodder of him with multiple women? Could it be that there were not numberous women for a very good reason? ;-)

Wait. Why is this thread even in British Airways? Oh that is right Prince Charles uses a specially chartered BA 767 for his long-haul travels.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 8:45 pm

REVEALED: SECRETS OF THE 'RAPE TAPE'
"The Royal and the male servant were tucked up in bed together," valet George Smith told brother

sUNDAY mIRROR
Old Nov 9, 2003, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airships:
Ah yes, I almost forgot about Britain's complete lack of regard for Freedom of Speech, even regarding subjects that are clearly political in nature and therefore of legitimate (if prurient) interest to voters, and which should therefore be afforded the highest protection by those who truly value democracy and participatory government.

There are many things I admire and respect about our British cousins, and I usually try to refrain from a distasteful American superiority complex, but whenever the issue of Freedom of Speech enters the discussion, I am reminded how grateful I am for George Washington and his armies.

[This message has been edited by airships (edited 11-08-2003).]
</font>
You've got to be kidding, right?

There is no meaningful difference between the US and the UK in the rights of people to express themselves, either orally or otherwise. You are pointing to a specific incident which may have judicial and other consequences, so a restriction on details surrounding the incident are 'embargoed'. You might like to compare this to the embargo that hangs over much of the JFK assassination (conspiracy?).

A key difference between the US and the UK in this area is that the US has, regretfully, increased government regulations which effectively inhibit the natural course of free speech. In other words, while free speech is undoubtedly tolerated, increasing governmental interference in daily life pretty much neutralises the effect.

There's an interesting article here:

http://www.theamericanenterprise.com...cle_detail.asp
Old Nov 9, 2003, 7:25 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
You've got to be kidding, right?

There is no meaningful difference between the US and the UK in the rights of people to express themselves, either orally or otherwise. You are pointing to a specific incident which may have judicial and other consequences, so a restriction on details surrounding the incident are 'embargoed'. You might like to compare this to the embargo that hangs over much of the JFK assassination (conspiracy?).

A key difference between the US and the UK in this area is that the US has, regretfully, increased government regulations which effectively inhibit the natural course of free speech. In other words, while free speech is undoubtedly tolerated, increasing governmental interference in daily life pretty much neutralises the effect.

There's an interesting article here:

http://www.theamericanenterprise.com...cle_detail.asp
</font>
Big Brother is more a reality in the UK than in the US... but I am pretty sure that the US will end up emulating the UK's Big Brotherhood status sooner or later.

These press restrictions in the UK are ridiculous in the day and age of the internet... unless of course the UK govt. wants to start regulating their citizen's internet access in heavy-handed ways.

Welcoming your national identity card in the UK? It seems like a majority in the UK want it... all under the false god that national identity cards will stem the asylum seeeker and illegal immigration problems when it has done everything but that in France, land of the Gendarmarie. ;-)

"Papers! Where are your papers?!?!?"
Old Nov 9, 2003, 7:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airships:
George Washington and his armies.
</font>
George Washington was a terrorist. Reconcile that.

Old Nov 9, 2003, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
I suppose you're right, airship, you do have more freedom of speech in the US, UNless of course you might happen to believe in, say, communist values, or perhaps wish to express sympathies with pro-arab causes, or anything else the US doesn't happen to consider appropriate???
Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Elite, Hyatt Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Big Brother is more a reality in the UK than in the US... but I am pretty sure that the US will end up emulating the UK's Big Brotherhood status sooner or later.

These press restrictions in the UK are ridiculous in the day and age of the internet... unless of course the UK govt. wants to start regulating their citizen's internet access in heavy-handed ways.

Welcoming your national identity card in the UK? It seems like a majority in the UK want it... all under the false god that national identity cards will stem the asylum seeeker and illegal immigration problems when it has done everything but that in France, land of the Gendarmarie. ;-)

"Papers! Where are your papers?!?!?"[/B]</font>
This is getting quite funny, the belief (and increased justification) of living in a free country/society because you have laws or a constitution that says you do.

For what its worth, the current spat has nothing to do with this government and the id card is so contentious that it is hard to know who wants it - but then which country will be fingerprinting/scanning visitors entering on visas? Which country is demanding to know hundreds of pieces of personal data before they are allowed to fly? Which country's policy on personal data forces companies to warn people that data held by them on computers which are not in that country's jurisdiction is liable to be used in ways which is illegal at home?

Freedom is a belief and the view that it is home and well in smalltown Missouri is I'm afraid a little misplaced.

As for the internet, may I point out that the US will let you view whatever you like (along with most countries), but they are either monitoring it or 'encouraging' internet companies to keep records of it.

Since Sept 11th the US has acted like they are the only country to have ever been affected by terrorism - erosion of personal freedom has been made in the interests of the greater good, so please do not lecture anyone on the virtues of freedom US-style. As far as the US is concerned, freedom is for Americans only and not Aliens.

I am not saying the UK is any better in any or all of these, but portraying the US as the bastion of free speech and freedom of action is a joke.

Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:32 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PITBULL1K:
This is getting quite funny, the belief (and increased justification) of living in a free country/society because you have laws or a constitution that says you do.

For what its worth, the current spat has nothing to do with this government and the id card is so contentious that it is hard to know who wants it - but then which country will be fingerprinting/scanning visitors entering on visas? Which country is demanding to know hundreds of pieces of personal data before they are allowed to fly? Which country's policy on personal data forces companies to warn people that data held by them on computers which are not in that country's jurisdiction is liable to be used in ways which is illegal at home?

Freedom is a belief and the view that it is home and well in smalltown Missouri is I'm afraid a little misplaced.

As for the internet, may I point out that the US will let you view whatever you like (along with most countries), but they are either monitoring it or 'encouraging' internet companies to keep records of it.

Since Sept 11th the US has acted like they are the only country to have ever been affected by terrorism - erosion of personal freedom has been made in the interests of the greater good, so please do not lecture anyone on the virtues of freedom US-style. As far as the US is concerned, freedom is for Americans only and not Aliens.

I am not saying the UK is any better in any or all of these, but portraying the US as the bastion of free speech and freedom of action is a joke.

</font>
... all the reason why I said that the US Big Brother will end up surpassing the UK version of Big Bro sooner or later.

To poorly paraphrase a famous person: When freedom and liberty die in the hearts of people, no Constitution can save them.*

By the way, the concept of freedom and liberty is under assault and once again becoming a "minority" sentiment.

*Edit: "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no Constitution, no court, can even do much to help it." is one such quote.

[This message has been edited by GUWonder (edited 11-09-2003).]
Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:

"Papers! Where are your papers?!?!?"
</font>
I will stay within UK law in replying to this post and respect the fact that people in this country (even Royals) have some proetection against unproven allegations in public. Yes, I have looked on the web and seen the allegations and found it quite amusing that the world's press can't actually agree on what the allegations really are!

As for the Big Brother thing, I most certainly think not. Perhaps before the PATRIOT act you were behind Eurpoe in the Big Brother department but not any more. In any case, there is no such thing as a truly free society. Could you imagine the security loop holes one of those would have?

At least in the UK we do the whole Big Brother thing with style.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 10:32 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
We in the UK do the big brother thing with more style - one word

JADE

oh and for the record and before there are any further alligations, I am niether the love child nor the servant/valet/footman named in the papers.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Please find another chat room to discuss/ gossip about the rumour and leave FT to discussions about BA & BA EC.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 1:15 pm

Programs: Executive Club :-)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcook052:
Please find another chat room to discuss/ gossip about the rumour and leave FT to discussions about BA & BA EC.</font>

Who made you moderator?

I don't think this thread is harming anyone, the reason it was posted here is probably because a majority of British people who visit FT view/post on the British Airways board. It's clearly posted as off topic so if you don't want to look at it don't! It's not too much trouble to scroll past it?
Old Nov 9, 2003, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Internaut:
At least in the UK we do the whole Big Brother thing with style</font>

Or the shagging teenagers.

[This message has been edited by LHR Tim (edited 11-09-2003).]
Old Nov 9, 2003, 4:02 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
To think... It all started when The Bonnie Prince received a "Mr. Microphone" from HRH at Christmas when he was 4 years of age!
Old Nov 10, 2003, 3:58 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
What, and did his Shirley Bassey impersonation in full drag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.