BA Travel Shops - £10 offline surcharge here?

Old Sep 23, 03, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
BA Travel Shops - £10 offline surcharge here?

If I book a European ticket through the BA Travel Shop, do I have to pay that dreaded £10 offline surcharge there? I've been sent some Travel Shop vouchers by Customer Relations and I'm trying to decide whether it's actually worth my while using them at all.

The funny thing is I've got no idea why I was sent them. I hadn't complained about anything, as far as I can remember.
Old Sep 23, 03, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK yes, you will pay the surcharge there too....
Old Sep 23, 03, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Yes, it's true.

Apparently, ABTA (travel agents' trade union, sorry, professional body) want BA to increase the fee to £15 so that travel agents can charge the same - their reaction to lower commission levels.

Old Sep 23, 03, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No doubt the humour will be entirely lost on the good folks in Sudbury, who meant well.

£30 in vouchers, 3 tickets to buy, £10 surcharge for each ...

Old Sep 23, 03, 8:26 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Globaliser, there's no offline surcharge in Australia (since you post regularly on QF). You can book any fare (including "N" class) online, and you've got either 48 or 72 hours to ticket the booking.

I've done this a couple of times, asked my TA to take over the bookings, and I think she got about a HP's worth of commission?
Old Sep 24, 03, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, willyroo - but the irony lies in the shareholders discount - if I book in the UK, I can get 10% off the fare. I can get that either by booking online or by going into a Travel Shop, which would be ideal for using these vouchers. But if I go in to a Travel Shop I get clobbered for the £10.

I will obviously have to save the vouchers for some other time when I'm booking long haul. At least there it's a £10 discount for booking online, which is replaced by the 10% shareholders discount if I book online. Then I can wander into the Travel Shop to get it ticketed and use the vouchers.

As I said, Sudbury meant well ...
Old Sep 24, 03, 3:03 am

Programs: BA, BMI, NZ, SQ
Globaliser,

I'm pretty sure (90%) when I booked some European travel at the BA Travel Shop (Cheapside, London) last year for my folks, there was no additional surcharge added.

Regards,
Old Sep 24, 03, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Such is the language of marketing.

I used to prefer it when the full price fares were shown on the website (as they are for long haul economy) and then the £10 came off as a discount.

Now it is a surcharge.

I wonder what message appeals to more people:

Apply on line to avoid a £10 surcharge.

Apply on line for a £10 discount.

I guess because they changed to the former that the prospect of avoiding a surcharge gets more online traffic than the promise of a discount.
Old Sep 24, 03, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Couldn't you use the vouchers for something other than flights.... BA Travel Shops are just like any other travel agent, so you could, for example, book a (pre paid) hotel through them...
Old Nov 14, 03, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Feedback - There is, in effect, the £10 surcharge if you buy at a Travel Shop. The fare displayed by the computer is automatically £10 more than the fare quoted on ba.com (or on other Internet sites) so unless you were aware of the fare that would be charged by ba.com you would never be aware that you were paying £10 more.

In the end, I saved the vouchers to buy a single ticket, so there was some overall value left in the exercise for me. Well, maybe not when taking into account the time spent getting there and back but I was assisted by a friendly and very efficient agent so it was a good break from work.

Search this Thread