FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Royal Bank BA Visa - Better Than Expected Availability for 2-for-1 tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/34828-royal-bank-ba-visa-better-than-expected-availability-2-1-tickets.html)

Kate_Canuck Oct 2, 2003 10:58 am

Royal Bank BA Visa - Better Than Expected Availability for 2-for-1 tickets

I recently got a mailing from Royal Bank telling me that their free companion ticket programme (for full fare WT+, Club and First bookings through Royal's own travel agent) could now be used more than once until Dec 2004. I usually ignore the "free companion ticket" offers from credit card companies, because the inventory of seats available for the promotion usually is incredibly limited/non-existent. But something about this mailing suggested that availability might be better than usual. So I gave it a shot and, surprise, was able to get a free ticket for an upcoming YYZ-LHR trip commencing on the Thanksgiving weekend! There was a bit of a catch, in that the travel agent didn't have the slightly discounted full fare Club ticket that BA offers (about Cdn 800 less than the fully flexible ticket), which meant that I booked a Club-WT+ combo instead of Club-Club. Also, they originally quoted a US $ price (even though Royal Bank is a Canadian card), and failed to mention this when I first called for a price quote - so don't be fooled by the seemingly low price. Taxes are payable on the companion ticket. They tell me my flight is fully points and miles eligible (but I'll bet I don't get the triple miles promotion).

crazy canuck Oct 2, 2003 1:07 pm

I found the ticket pricing to be WAY out of line on that card--I have had it for a couple of years. I obtained two quotes for 1st/business travel about 2 years ago, and it was cheaper to fly throughg the consolidator fares for almost 3 people than it was for 1 on the Royal bank promo.

It IS a good product for getting double miles when booking BA flights, so BA miles add up quickly when you use it for this purpose.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kate_Canuck:
I recently got a mailing from Royal Bank telling me that their free companion ticket programme (for full fare WT+, Club and First bookings through Royal's own travel agent) could now be used more than once until Dec 2004. I usually ignore the "free companion ticket" offers from credit card companies, because the inventory of seats available for the promotion usually is incredibly limited/non-existent. But something about this mailing suggested that availability might be better than usual. So I gave it a shot and, surprise, was able to get a free ticket for an upcoming YYZ-LHR trip commencing on the Thanksgiving weekend! There was a bit of a catch, in that the travel agent didn't have the slightly discounted full fare Club ticket that BA offers (about Cdn 800 less than the fully flexible ticket), which meant that I booked a Club-WT+ combo instead of Club-Club. Also, they originally quoted a US $ price (even though Royal Bank is a Canadian card), and failed to mention this when I first called for a price quote - so don't be fooled by the seemingly low price. Taxes are payable on the companion ticket. They tell me my flight is fully points and miles eligible (but I'll bet I don't get the triple miles promotion).</font>

Kate_Canuck Oct 22, 2003 2:19 pm

Back from London, checked my BA Miles.

1.75x miles for the Club-WT+ return (including Gold Tier bonus)

Plus

14,000 miles and change for the Triple Miles promotion

Plus

22,000 miles and change from Royal Bank Visa (this seems a little high, but I'm not about to debate it with RBC).

Seems like a good deal - almost 50,000 miles for one trip.