CDG and waitlisting

Old Sep 26, 03, 4:18 am
Original Poster

CDG and waitlisting

Anyone know why BA at CDG waitlist half-full flights?

I will tell the story - in the last month the same thing has happend 3 times:

BA have four flights a day from CDG to BHX.

BA 1803 dep. 11.45
BA 1807 dep. 17.10
BA 1809 dep. 19.25
BA 1811 dep. 20.40

Yesterday, I managed to get out early and wanted to change my reservation from the 20.40 flight to an earlier flight. I called BA at 2.00pm.

They stated the 17.10 and 19.25 were both full and would waitlist me for both. At 4pm I called BA again to ask if I had cleared the waitlist. They said "no", but "just go along the flights are not oversold. There is availability but CDG are just not accepting any further reservations for some reason".

I called my TA who said "there is availability we can book you a seat if needed, but not change your current eticket".

Now last time, this happend I just went to AF, who were happy to accept my BA ticket. This time I thought, OK I will go to BA. I get there half-an-hour before departure to be told the flight is closed.

I ask if there are spare seats, they say "yes". I say I am on the waitlist, they say they never cleared me from waitlist.

So, once again spare seats, I'm on the waitlist, but I am denied boarding.

[OK, I made a call and got on - but that is not the point].

Now, the ticket costs GBP 493.20 return. It is a ARJ, so all you get for that extra money is flexibility, but CDG keep on denying the flexibility.

Anyone else had this?

Now I will make my call to complain?

PS: Of course like me people transfer to AF, so BA lose money as a result.
Old Sep 26, 03, 4:55 am

I had a related problem sorting out a concorde flight from JFK-LHR for a friend. The flight was full and so he waitlisted expecting if any seats came free he would be booked on one of them. The next day I cheked on fare explorer and seats were showing but he was still on the waitlist. I told him to ring up and book straight away which he did and now has a seat. Lucky SOB

The question is, why doesn't the waitlist clear in these situations? Is it a manual process?

If it is a manual process maybe in Merry's case someone at CDG was being lazy and couldn't be bothered to process the waitlists. Can anyone shed some light on the process?

Old Sep 26, 03, 5:57 am

Merry,

I've no idea why you didn't clear the waitlist, but (for the benefit of any BA insiders reading this post) would like to know if anyone else considers BA's CDG staff to be the worst you have ever encountered.

Having worked in BA customer services myself, I know it's hard and the job can get you down sometimes, but I find BA's Parisien staff really take the biscuit.

Some would say that their appaling attitude may just be because they're French, but I never have any problem with AF staff!

Terminal 1 in CDG is depressing enough without having to deal with the apathetic and miserable faces that BA choose to represent them when you finally reach "Satellite Cinq"....

Ok - rant over. I'm off to start a new thread which should only solicit good posts...
Old Sep 26, 03, 6:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by exBAres:
[B]

Having worked in BA customer services myself, I know it's hard and the job can get you down sometimes, but I find BA's Parisien staff really take the biscuit.
[B]</font>

Help Me Out Here... in New York, (that's in the New World for you Brits )

Can you Chuff a Biscuit?

Or would the expression be Chuffing a Biscuit?

We here, on this side of the pond, do refering to chucking one's cookies!
Old Sep 26, 03, 6:31 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zoosh:
Can you Chuff a Biscuit?

Or would the expression be Chuffing a Biscuit?

We here, on this side of the pond, do refering to chucking one's cookies!
</font>
I'm not sure what "chucking one's cookies" is but we have a saying "throwing the toys out the pram" meaning that someone is behaving like a child and having a tantrum.

If you were to stick a biscuit up someones chuff, it would most certainly bring tears to their eyes! Although some aroun here might enjoy it! (Blair??)

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Sep 26, 03, 6:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
I'm not sure what "chucking one's cookies" is but we have a saying "throwing the toys out the pram" meaning that someone is behaving like a child and having a tantrum.

If you were to stick a biscuit up someones chuff, it would most certainly bring tears to their eyes! Although some aroun here might enjoy it! (Blair??)

</font>
"Chucking one's Cookies"

A. Barfing
B. Throwing Up
C. Up-Chuck - Uh-Oh...I need a time-out, I said the "U" word!
D. Vomiting
E. Hurling (Not to be confused with the Irish Sport played with a Club)
F. All of the above....

Old Sep 26, 03, 6:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
So to follow the logic to its conclusion, the only way that you could be certain of getting on any flight in the event that you might be early is to get the TA to make a reservation on all three flights. Agreed?

I can only imagine that is what is going on and everyone's doing it because BA CDG staff are messing around. However I do have to ask (not you as you would not know) whether they have got an instruction from London about this. I seem to remember inthe past that their waitlists did not operate with the proper impartiality and that their pals and regulars were being put aboard ahead of others who had priority in status or time.

The other thing is, are these "our" staff or are we subbing the work to someone wearing our uniforms?

Give 'em hell Babe, they deserve it.

I asure you that when I come back from CDG laden with the week's shopping, they can really give staff the run around. I am always sub-load, but I speak French so that helps (they have two different forms of behaviour to the francophones and the non-francophones noticed that?). I often bite my tongue as I am convinced that some of them are so gracious that they would for two pins say that it was oversold even if it was completely empty.
Old Sep 26, 03, 7:15 am
dnw

Hmmm, cynical but do they get commission for flights sold at the airport ticket desk?
Old Sep 26, 03, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Just to clairfy, the flights are not sold-out, they are just waitlisting and nobody clears the waitlist.

I have made my comments to BA this afternoon and the 'phone has been red-hot.

It would appear, the BA CDG staff close the busy flights to new bookings (from BA), and never re-open them. Everyone just sits on a waitlist, unless they show-up sufficiently early at the airport ticket-desk.

My friends in BA in London are not amused.

My favourite quote "I don't think they understand the difference between waitlist and stand-by, or if they do they are getting their priorities wrong".
Old Sep 26, 03, 3:21 pm

Ba at CDG are a complete nightmare. From the check-in staff who are so surly it's almost funny (and no, I'm not sure it does make any difference whether you speak to them in French or not, because I always do, and they grunt back to me in English) to the nightmare lounge.

I've been in Merry's position many times. Usually I'm going to LHR so I naively assume that if I get out of my meetings early I can just go to the airport and get on the next flight. The look of surprise / contempt on the part of the ticket desk / check-in staff that I get is something to behold.

I NEVER just have my reservatrion changed and get put on the earlier flight. I normally end up being put on standby / waitlist for flights which are rarely, if ever, sold out. But in order to get on the flight, I have to leave the delights of the lounge early and hang around the gate pathetically pleading to be allowed to travel early. All this for a mere 4 hundred quid.

And it won't get any better when they move terminals. BA won't even have their own lounge
Old Oct 20, 03, 10:34 am

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Platinum; Hyatt - Platinum
AndrewC: I'll be flying CDG-LHR in November and the BA website indicates that my flight will be departing from Terminal 2B, so I guess the move from T1 will be completed by then. Will BA have a lounge in 2B and, if so, do you know who will be operating it? I gather from your comment that it won't be BA, n'est-ce pas?

[This message has been edited by arkangel (edited 10-20-2003).]
Old Oct 20, 03, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by arkangel:
AndrewC: I'll be flying CDG-LHR in November and the BA website indicates that my flight will be departing from Terminal 2B, so I guess the move from T1 will be completed by then. Will BA have a lounge in 2B and, if so, do you know who will be operating it? I gather from your comment that it won't be BA, n'est-ce pas?

[This message has been edited by arkangel (edited 10-20-2003).]
</font>

My understanding is that

(a) The terminal move takes place at the end of this week; and
(b) there will eventually be a BA lounge in Terminal 2B, but in the meantime they are using an old AF Lounge there.

It may comfort people to know that BA aren't the only ones with surly staff at CDG. BMI's staff at CDG T1 have a remarkably similar reputation.

Search this Thread