BA Miles Upgrades

Old Oct 2, 03, 7:22 am
Original Poster

BA Miles Upgrades

Hi all -

I have a couple of trips coming up which I'd like to upgrade for miles, one W-J and one J-F. I can't do this at time of purchase (by third party), but the tickets will be sourced direct from BA.

So, my questions are: 1) ease of upgrading already purchased tickets; and 2) any problems upgrading companion's ticket on same flights?

BTW, is it still the case that only tickets purchased direct from BA can be upgraded with miles?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 2, 03, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
You can use miles to upgarde already booked tickets, I am sure if you in the booking engine in your EC account there is this option.

Whether or not you can use them to upgarde tickets not bought from BA is something I don't know
Old Oct 2, 03, 7:32 am

IF you can upgrade yourself, then you can upgrade your companion too.

(I used my miles to upgrade both my husband and myself from WT+ to NCW, but I upgraded at the time of booking through BA's website - was very impressed by how straightforward BA have made this!!! Wish that other airlines would take note - well done BA ).

Boo
Old Oct 2, 03, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I know it's easy to u/g at time of booking, but the BA site invites one to call the EC to u/g existing bookings.

Does anyone have experience of that process specifically? Interested in how long it takes to confirm u/g, any problems with availability, etc.
Old Oct 2, 03, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
From previous threads, I recall that MFU is strictly for tickets purchased from BA only.
Old Oct 2, 03, 8:06 am

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
I've used BA's site to upgrade a few times to the US from WT to NCW and once from NCW to F to Sydney. Generally availability for this is great to the US but no so on other routes, particularly to the Far East.

If you can't book direct using BA's web site I'd check first using the website to make sure that upgrading for miles was available for the flight you want. Then, once booked, you shouldn't have a problem in calling BA and asking them to manually upgrade. I doubt they'd do this if there was no availability on your flight for upgrades for miles as shown on the web.
Old Oct 2, 03, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. The problem I've anticipated is changing availability for MFU between points at which ticket is booked and processing of request for MFU by EC, which makes the delay between them critical.

Surely someone must have used MFU for existing booking and I'd love to hear how it went.

TIA.
Old Oct 3, 03, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Please, has anyone used MFU for existing bookings, i.e. after ticketing? Could really do with some feedback on the process.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 03, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Last bump - I'm begging, already - please...

Please, has anyone used MFU for existing bookings, i.e. after ticketing? Could really do with some feedback on the process.

Thanks!

Old Oct 6, 03, 8:36 am

Dakota, why don't you just give the EC a ring and see what they say?

Hope that things work out for you

Boo
Old Oct 6, 03, 8:54 am
Original Poster

BooBooToo: Have done. They say takes 72 hrs, but, as I said above, that means there's a risk that MFU availability goes between ticketing and upgrade. Was interested in others' experiences of this, but it looks like either no-one's done it (which seems highly unlikely) or they're not telling. Strange...
Old Oct 6, 03, 9:35 am

Well, maybe you will be the first from around here to do ti: please share your experiences with us.

I hope that everything works out for you

Boo
Old Oct 6, 03, 11:35 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dakota:
BooBooToo: Have done. They say takes 72 hrs, but, as I said above, that means there's a risk that MFU availability goes between ticketing and upgrade. Was interested in others' experiences of this, but it looks like either no-one's done it (which seems highly unlikely) or they're not telling. Strange...</font>
I doubt very much if people are "not telling". FT'ers are a very helpful bunch and would have nothing to gain by keeping it a secret. I suspect that the reason no -one is responding is that no FT'er has used Miles to Upgrade a 3rd Party ticket.

There has been much debate about upgrading non-direct BA bookings, and the general consensus was that the rules were unclear about this. Some have been told that only flights booked on-line or direct with BA can be upgraded.

Do you have to book through the 3rd party?

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Oct 6, 03, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

So here's the update after calling the EC again to discuss...

First of all, of course I didn't mean people were deliberately not passing on the info, just those who had it hadn't logged on, seen thread, hadn't replied, etc..

The important stuff is that the deeply discounted fare classes have now been excluded from MFU. These were T in WT+ & I in CW. Only the flexible classes W, D & J may now be upgraded using miles. This apparently changed last week and is a drag for me because one of mine was T class, but the other is full J.

The good news is that the first person I spoke to was wrong: it does not take 3 days to process. Can be done on the 'phone immediately and without charge, up to three days before departure.

As regards 3rd party booking, my situation, and I'd guess a good proportion of others', is that I frequently do not make my own bookings. This means they have to be MFU'ed later. Wonder how long before they can accept bookings made via agencies, etc. and not just from BA direct.

Hope all that helps. Cheers, D.
Old Oct 6, 03, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dakota:
The important stuff is that the deeply discounted fare classes have now been excluded from MFU. These were T in WT+ & I in CW. Only the flexible classes W, D & J may now be upgraded using miles. This apparently changed last week and is a drag for me because one of mine was T class, but the other is full J.</font>
[Edited out, strong feelings no longer necessary, see below. Phew! Thank you for the cheering update, Dakota.]

[This message has been edited by Globaliser (edited 10-06-2003).]

Search this Thread