Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to check-in facilities at Terminal 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2003, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

"British Airways is simplifying it’s check-in options.
Subsequently, we’re withdrawing check-in facilities at
London Heathrow Terminal 1 Express Parking from 26th October 2003.

Express Parking travellers can still choose the best available option for
them.
They will be able to take advantage of additional new check-in facilities
opening at
Terminal 1 including dedicated check-in desks and Self Service Check-in
kiosks.

Alternatively, our online check-in option means travellers save both time
and effort by
avoiding queues, and can check-in from 24 hours up to one hour before
departure
on most British Airways flights. They can even choose their preferred seat
with Online Check-in
and Self-Service Check-in machines, and use our Fast Bag Drop facility to
deposit hold luggage without any queuing.

This only applies to Terminal 1."
Old Oct 6, 2003, 2:48 pm
dnw

'simplifying'... don't you just love it
Old Oct 6, 2003, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
'simplifying'... don't you just love it </font>
What other 'simplifying; have then done recently:

-closing Paddington check-in
-closing Victoria check-in (a while ago)
-closing telephone check-in
-closing T1 Express Parking check-in

what next:

'We at British Airways are pleased to announce that all BA services departing from London Heathrow will now check-in at Terminal 1, Zone A , Desk 1. If you are flying Club Europe, Club World, FIRST or Concorde queuing maybe a new experience and we hope you enjoy it.

If you are flying from Terminal 4 we hope you enjoy the walk across 09L.

We look forward to seeing you on your next flight with us at British Airways and hope you enjoy our new enhacements

------------------
'There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror'
Orson Welles (1915–1985)
Old Oct 6, 2003, 3:59 pm
dnw

I have nothing against cost-cutting or streamlining if it ensures the airlines profitabiilty and ultimate survival- its the spin I object to.

Why can't they just put out a release stating the facts and drop all this 'simplify/enhancement' nonsense. It would be somewhat less insulting...
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
I have nothing against cost-cutting or streamlining if it ensures the airlines profitabiilty and ultimate survival- its the spin I object to.

Why can't they just put out a release stating the facts and drop all this 'simplify/enhancement' nonsense. It would be somewhat less insulting...
</font>
Seems to be the modern marketing way to try and make a positive out of a negative. I work in this industry and it even insults me.

I guess though that we on the boards are more used to experiencing the "extras" that are being simplyfied - the majority of economy pax still arrive three hours in advance and queue in the cattle pens as they always have.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 7:41 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
'We at British Airways are pleased to announce that all BA services departing from London Heathrow will now check-in at Terminal 1, Zone A , Desk 1. If you are flying Club Europe, Club World, FIRST or Concorde queuing maybe a new experience and we hope you enjoy it.

If you are flying from Terminal 4 we hope you enjoy the walk across 09L.

We look forward to seeing you on your next flight with us at British Airways and hope you enjoy our new enhacements

</font>
Old Oct 7, 2003, 9:33 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
I guess though that we on the boards are more used to experiencing the "extras" that are being simplyfied</font>
True, but then we are thus far more likely to see through the 'simplify' bollox

Marketing madness...
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:47 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
With this backdrop, aren't you surprised that they haven't spinned the Concorde retirement as an enhancement? Or as part of BA simplifying its transatlantic offering? It's even true!

BTW, if you travelled on Concorde recently and didn't get a gift, how about a more personal memento? Turns out that someone somewhere is likely to photograph almost any Concorde flight and post his pictures to Airliners.net

It took no time at all to find mine:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/388758/L/

You can clearly see me peeking from the fourth window!
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:52 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Ah but the product marketing does appear to sing from the same easy-assembly hymn [funny that, rhymes with spin] sheet as our Mumbai-based friends at Ask BA.

Dear [insert pax name here]

We were delighted / sorry [delete as applicable] to hear about your recent experience on BA [insert flight number here].

At British Airways we constantly strive to provide the very highest standards both before you fly and in the air [ok to use for either type of reply].

As a gesture of goodwill / a demonstration of our near-divine magnificence [check whether a Blue, Silver or a Gold EC member and delete as appropriate] we will be crediting 1 / 10 / 10,000 / 100,000 BA miles [again check tier level and award 1-10 to all non-Golds] to your Executive Club account.

Thank you for flying BA and don't forget that it's always worth checking to see if we can answer your question first at Ask BA.com [pity the poor souls who do]

Yours sincerely

Alpesh [replace with Sharon, David or Gavin though gender remains unimportant]

OK, so call me a BA-hating cynic When they get it right it's the most fabulous airline but parts of the operation are shameful.

Anon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.