BA slashes ex-LGW short haul fleet

Old Oct 5, 03, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
BA slashes ex-LGW short haul fleet

Sunday Times article on how BA is reducing ex-LGW fleet next summer, yet another enhancement

Is this old news?

Old Oct 5, 03, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this related to GCI and a couple of other destinations being cut? Or am I hallucinating?

Old Oct 5, 03, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
Not so much "news" as an inevitable consequence of the ongoing reduction in ex-LGW routes/flights.
Old Oct 6, 03, 1:28 am

I can confirm it is BA's intention to "release" 5 737 aircraft from LGW's fleet and send them back to the lessors in time for next summer's operation.

In their wisdom, our management feel they can still operate the same summer programme by (a) having earlier departure times (ie) 4/5 departures before 06.30 hrs and

(b) later evening departures (ie) up to 23.00 hrs. Some 5 arrivals between 01.00 and 05.00 hrs are also anticipated in addition to the 5 or 6 night arrivals already happening within the GB Airways programme! (Just to ensure the local residents remain insomniacs and firmly against a second runway!) and

(c) Reducing the turnaround times. We used to be permitted 40 mins to clean, fuel, cater, load cargo and baggage and board our pax. The Flight Crew also carry out their walkround safety checks and flight deck checks during this time. Last year, this was reduced to 35 mins which means a few corners are cut****. (Undoubtedly, you frequent flyers will have noticed the aircraft bulkheads and seat backs are getting ditinctly grubby because they never receive a "thorough de-gunge" these days.) Now the plan is to reduce turnarounds to 30 mins, I guess this means our fleet will become even grimier!

So, you're dead right! More service enhancements are on the way - we won't charge extra for your night-time arrival!

**** I must stress that no member of BA staff would ever "cut corners" relating to safety issues and that our management, for all their faults, would never ever condone anything that would compromise safety! ****

[This message has been edited by bealine (edited 10-06-2003).]

Search this Thread