Arriving in LHR by Concorde from JFK

Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Arriving in LHR by Concorde from JFK

First of my sincere thanks to members such as dhacker and alect for their timely posts that enabled me to get BA002 seat on 10/10.

Question: When you arrive in LHR, how do you go to the Concorde lounge? (assuming that you are allowed to do so)
Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you flying onwards out of London? Otherwise you are not allowed into the lounge. If you want to try anyways then do this:

Follow the signs for the Flight Connection Center, pass security there and head up the stairs for Terminal 4 departures. At the top of the stairs turn right and walk for around 400 meters (past the middle of the terminal, past the McDonalds, past the Dixons store on your left and past the WH Smith.). After the pub on your right you'll see a duty free store, in between that store and it's smaller store next door is the entrance to the lounges complex. Walk straight on. But as I said, without a valid onward boarding pass you won't get in.

You can however use the excellent Arrivals facility, after customs when you leave the airside zone turn right all the way to the baggage storage, then make a left, a right and you'll walk right into the lounge.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Except for the small problem that the arrivals lounge is closed by the time that BA2 usually arrives at LHR, isn't it?
Old Oct 2, 2003, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
Except for the small problem that the arrivals lounge is closed by the time that BA2 usually arrives at LHR, isn't it?</font>
From reading on this board it is only open until about 4pm / 5pm
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:55 am

I was on Concorde mid August and can confirm that the LHR arrivals lounge was closed by the time we got there.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I just extended my Concorde ticket to AMS which means that I will have outbound First boarding card and will have about 2 hours between flights. Is Concorde Lounge open at that time?
FrancisA likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:47 am
dnw

You won't have an outbound First boarding card, you'll have a Club one. However, show the Concorde boarding pass at the lounge pavilion and explain that you are on a Concorde ticket and transiting to AMS and you should have no problem getting in- it will be open until the last longhauls leave T4 around 10/11pm.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thank you

Originally Posted by desi
First of my sincere thanks to FTers for their timely posts that enabled me to get BA002 seat on 10/10.
1000 posts and 14 years later, still thankful to FT for this and hundreds of other very useful tips
Thanks FT
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by desi
1000 posts and 14 years later, still thankful to FT for this and hundreds of other very useful tips
Thanks FT
A beautiful thread to say it in. I sadly never got a chance to fly in the Concorde, but this remains, by any stretch of the imagination, a flyer's dream to have experienced it. Maybe once you did, the charm vanish - that is, after all, the fate of many dreams, but what an iconic line to add to your flying pedigree and if FT helped you do it, then it's a fabulous tribute to the potential value of the site! ^ ^ ^
our_kid likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
A beautiful thread to say it in. I sadly never got a chance to fly in the Concorde, but this remains, by any stretch of the imagination, a flyer's dream to have experienced it. Maybe once you did, the charm vanish - that is, after all, the fate of many dreams, but what an iconic line to add to your flying pedigree and if FT helped you do it, then it's a fabulous tribute to the potential value of the site! ^ ^ ^
For me the charm remained, and I was fortunate enough to take Mrs rapidex and young rapidex, but at only 4 months he cannot remember.Supersonic Concorde was a dream to travel in, and on take off and low speed it was like a rattling old dog of a taxi long past its retirement date.

Thanks, happy memories.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
My first Concorde trip was thanks to a friend of mine at BA who was crew. She arranged a pair of tickets for me and the then GF for the princely sum of 600 each, out economy and back Concorde, as part of a staff concession/perk. That was probably around 1993/4 or so.

I flew three other times, twice on paid tickets and once on Avios. One was to Barbados and the other two to JFK. In those days I preferred flying back to the UK in F as there was no practical time benefit in work terms flying Concorde East.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Oh wow, this brought back a lot of memories. How I miss Concorde and Supersonic Class! I still have all my baggage tags which I guard with my life. I never made it to Barbados, but I regularly flew JFK/LHR and YYZ/LHR. Boarding from the Lounge was such a treat!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by themax
Oh wow, this brought back a lot of memories. How I miss Concorde and Supersonic Class! I still have all my baggage tags which I guard with my life. I never made it to Barbados, but I regularly flew JFK/LHR and YYZ/LHR. Boarding from the Lounge was such a treat!
oh yes happy memories indeed. And what a lounge, stylish contemporary and staffed by people who had a clue and knew about service. I always recall the coat rack with the furs,,,, just fabulous.

of course then there were the celebs.

But the BA004 had a problem with the very narrow window of opportunity to land at LHR. The 11pm ban was immovable and I recall one trip home when, having crossed the M25 the afterburners were roared into life and the capatain aborted landing. It was 23.01. It really would have been quieter to allow us to land. But we headed to Brize Norton and taken back to Heathrow by bus!!!

Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Had planned flight later that year but sudden termination of service made some desperate attempts.
Tried and failed to get 999 USD ticket for the subsonic Toronto-JFK flight.

Well, that flight's return to LHR, got added as second Concorde flight of the day with only few days before the departure date.
FT reported that award seats availability had opened up on this newly constituted flight with only coupl eof weeks before the departure date.

Great use of (US Treasury's I-bond churned) 100k miles and 40 odd dollars.
Was certainly a bucket list item since age of 7 when that movable nose had caught fancy.

Too bad that instead of making progress, our flying time across the pond keep increasing. These 747 replacements may be more fuel efficient but take bit longer.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:30 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Did the flyertalk magazine subscription trick but unfortunately never got to use the points for Concorde before 9/11 and the subsequent termination of service. One of my greatest regrets, loved this bird ever since I saw one fly over my house as a child when it visited YMX (which was built for the fleet of AC Concorde that never happened)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.