Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Royal send off for Concorde?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2003, 7:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BahrainLad:

Diplomatic Protection Squad
Handle security for foreign diplomats. These will be the people liasing with the US Secret Service during Bush's state visit in November.
</font>
The Diplomatic Protection Group AFAIK don't liaise with the US Secret Service, that's Special Branch again. The DPG are the uniformed officers that stand outside places like Parliament, Downing Street, and the various embassies. They're based out of Charing Cross police station. I know this as my partner is a PC in the DPG
Old Oct 1, 2003, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:
Can't we just let William and Harry shag sheep permanently in the outback?</font>
Here here. But contrary to english perceptions, St Andrews is hardly 'the outback'.

Old Oct 1, 2003, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:
Can't we just let William and Harry shag sheep permanently in the outback? </font>
mAAine_flyer, perhaps alexwuk is referring to the anatomy of the sheep rather than a geographical location.

Another good example of this is:

A: 'I am taking her up the aisle'
B: 'so you're getting married'
A: 'erm no'
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Merry:
As HM The Queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, I find that remark extremely offensive, not only to my monarch and head of state, but to my faith.</font>
She is my monarch and head of state as well (Queen of the United Kingdom and Her other realms, as well as being Queen of Australia and her other realms - I am a dual national, as you probably already know) but what does faith have to do with it?

I realise She is "Protector of the faith" but such positions usually go to those with theology of divinity degrees, so I see Her positiion as somewhat anachronistic.

Now if we could only get rid of tha Polish git currently occupying the position of head of MY Church. Not too long to go, hopefully, and then we can install a REAL Catholic there.

Dave
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:06 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by influential:
Back to the original topic of a Concorde send-off, was told the other day that the final landing at JFK will take place with 3+ Concordes landing one immediately after the other. What a great sight that will be.</font>
Does anyone know if there will be anything planned at Heathrow? Or is everything being kept hush hush for security or to keep the public away?

I want to take the day off work if there is. The BA website is a bit bare. All I can find is a mention of the final flight to Edinburgh on the 24th. If there is to be a fly past I want to get to vantage point to see it, or at least into an office that has windows!

Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Can't we just let William and Harry shag sheep permanently in the outback? [Why stop them when they've finally found something they're good at?]; we can save on the return air fare. After all: the convicts did vote for them.</font>
No we didn't - we did not vote FOR the current model, we merely voted AGAINST the alternative. When faced with an either/or scenario, voting NO does not necessarily mean you are in favour of the YES alternative.

Dave

[This message has been edited by thadocta (edited 10-01-2003).]
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
mAAine_flyer, perhaps alexwuk is referring to the anatomy of the sheep rather than a geographical location.

Another good example of this is:

A: 'I am taking her up the aisle'
B: 'so you're getting married'
A: 'erm no'
</font>

Ah, you could be right.

Similar linguistic misunderstandings exist here, too:

Maine woodsman #1: "Took my new girlfriend out to dinner last night"
Maine woodsman #2: "Bangor?"
Maine woodsman #1: "No, just dinner".
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mAAine_flyer:

Ah, you could be right.

Similar linguistic misunderstandings exist here, too:

Maine woodsman #1: "Took my new girlfriend out to dinner last night"
Maine woodsman #2: "Bangor?"
Maine woodsman #1: "No, just dinner".
</font>
LOL!

Maine woodsman, you've gotta give it to 'em!

oops theres another
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dddc:
Does anyone know if there will be anything planned at Heathrow? Or is everything being kept hush hush for security or to keep the public away? </font>
Keep the public away, I was at LHR on Sunday and there were hundreds of people!

I read somewhere 10,000 are expected for the final day.

Is there an FT get together planned? I'll check the Communities page

Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
FBG...maybe you should organise something.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
FBG...maybe you should organise something.</font>
24th October: Last Concorde flights (London Heathrow)

From here it looks like three Concordes are going to land one after the other on the South Runway, a spectacular site I am sure. Anyone with good recommendations for viewing for landing on the south runway post on the thread I started on the Community page. (for link see above)
Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Here here. But contrary to english perceptions, St Andrews is hardly 'the outback'.</font>
Aaaaarrrrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!

"Hear, hear.". Please.

[This message has been edited by BahrainLad (edited 10-01-2003).]
Old Oct 1, 2003, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
24th October: Last Concorde flights (London Heathrow)

From here it looks like three Concordes are going to land one after the other on the South Runway, a spectacular site I am sure. Anyone with good recommendations for viewing for landing on the south runway post on the thread I started on the Community page. (for link see above)
</font>
I'm just going to publicise this further by putting a new thread on here for it. I don't know if everyone goes to the Communities page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.