Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Downgrading of silver card pax from CW on BA 27 Sat 13

Old Sep 18, 03, 12:26 am
pds
Original Poster

Location: London. Loyal BA fan - def the worlds favourite airline. BA silver, BMI silver, Air France Blue

Not me thankfully. But one of my female colleagues was abruptly TOLD when checking in (1.5 hourse before departure) for the above that she was being forcefully downgraded to WT+. She waited 1.5 hours to see the duty manager, who did not turn up until after the flight had left. Apparently she was one of many downgraded, all single females (is it policy to inflict this on single women ?). BA then waitlisted her in economy for CX on Sunday, no luck with that one. She was given 300 voucher for compensation on Sat night only to be told on Sunday in the lounge (in so many words) that she had to give it back or would not be in Club on the flight - she did and got put in first - she was gievn WT boarding pass and waitlisted for club. Our firm, like most others, spend a fortune with this company and they treated her like absolute muck. Apparently BA said they messed up when processing downgrades and said that she should never have been downgraded as a silver card holder. What a complete PR disaster for this company !!!!!
Old Sep 18, 03, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A disaster yes, a screwup yes, but a "complete PR disater"? Unlikely. They pull off stunts like this every day

When it reaches the Times or the BBC it might turn into a PR disaster.

As for the "all single females", were they all together in a group? Did she see the passenger manifest?
Old Sep 18, 03, 6:25 am

This treatment sounds disgraceful - very badly handled indeed...

If I was your colleague, I would have complained like h*ll until they were more accommodating. Sounds like far too much stick and not enough carrot to me...

When my Dad used to travel on business a lot (he was setting up a production operation in the US), he recalls many instances of flights being over sold in business class. The airlines used to offer compensation and call for volunteers (often after most of the passengers had boarded). He said that it used to be a waiting game: people would wait until the compensation was acceptable (usually several hundred dollars and an upgrade to first on the next available flight) and then accept. Seems like a far more acceptable way to handle an airline over-booking blunder to me...

Would love to work in Customer Service Review/Audting...

Boo

[This message has been edited by Boo Boo Too (edited 09-18-2003).]
Old Sep 19, 03, 6:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Which would all be true if there was a shred of truth in this story.

20 posts and a tale of sexism, rudeness, and indeed forceful "downgrading".

Wind up. Pull the other, it plays "Annie Lauire"
Old Sep 19, 03, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HGP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
Which would all be true if there was a shred of truth in this story.

20 posts and a tale of sexism, rudeness, and indeed forceful "downgrading".

Wind up. Pull the other, it plays "Annie Lauire"
</font>
A post that's critical of BA so it must be untrue. As Scott C points out, incidents like these are not that uncommon.

OTOH, we are supposed to swallow fantastic tales of a family's fellatio in First and the like, as these are of course 100% true.
Old Sep 19, 03, 10:17 am

ouch.

whats going on here?

lets all count to ten and smile.

there...thats better....
Old Sep 21, 03, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen,
To my simple understanding this is supposed to be a forum for open discussion, please allow others to express themselves.

Pucci - I started reading this forum quite a while ago primarily because of the wonderful-playful relationships and people here. You once discarded a comment I had made because of the low number of posts I have placed here. Please don't discard people's opinions or comments because they are newbies. Understand that I do highly value your insight-humour-intelligence regularily shown here, but please ease up just a little
thanks

[This message has been edited by bbybear (edited 09-21-2003).]
Old Sep 22, 03, 6:23 am
pds
Original Poster

Location: London. Loyal BA fan - def the worlds favourite airline. BA silver, BMI silver, Air France Blue
thanks for your comments bbybear - 20 posts, what does it matter anyway ? this is a site for "frequent flyers" after all of which i am definitely one, not "frequent posters" !!!
Old Sep 23, 03, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:

When it reaches the Times or the BBC it might turn into a PR disaster.
</font>
Anyone see the front page of the Business section in today's Times?

BA seeks staff as shortages shut first class cabins

"Michael Holland, who was on the Tokyo flight, said he and several others were downgraded from Business Class to Economy, to make way for passengers booked in first class."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...827538,00.html
Old Sep 23, 03, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swiss Tony:
Anyone see the front page of the Business section in today's Times?

BA seeks staff as shortages shut first class cabins

"Michael Holland, who was on the Tokyo flight, said he and several others were downgraded from Business Class to Economy, to make way for passengers booked in first class."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...827538,00.html
</font>
OUCH.
Old Sep 23, 03, 11:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
OUCH.</font>
Its ok, can't be true - Pucci says that it doesn't happen

Boo

Old Sep 24, 03, 12:22 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Must be the flight for invol downgrades! I was moved from CW to WT on this route about two years ago. In my case, no problems when I checked-in 2.5 hours before the flight. But somewhere between check-in and boarding the aircraft was changed and all of a sudden my allocated NCW seat was no longer a valid seat on the replacement aircraft (OCW seating).

So after spending 2 hours in the Terraces lounge, I was handed a new WT boarding pass at the gate. No appologies, just a case of "we changed the aircraft and here is your new boarding pass". And I am most certainly not a single female passenger . I am a One World Emerald, which should rank fairly highly in the BA list of poeple to try to accommodate.

If BA had paged me in the Terraces lounge, we may have been able to work out a suitable alternate route since I was only transiting HKG enroute to BNE. They could have moved me onto one of two QF flights to SYD or MEL, or a BA flight to either of these, or even CX. I was on a One World Explorer RTW ticket which would have been valid for travel on any of these flights. But now, they chose to wait until I arrived at the gate to hand me a WT boarding pass.

When I asked what BA would be doing for me as a result of chnaging me to WT cabin, I was told the cabin crew would give me a survey form to complete and BA would then determine at their discretion if anything could be done.

In the end, I stood my ground at the gate as they said that one CW pax connecting from another flight had not yet boarded. Eventually I was given his seat in CW, but this was only because I refused to board while there was still a spare seat in CW.

There were many things BA could have done to handle this situation better. I understand that last minute aircraft changes do happen. However, they had onbiously not loaded the luggage at the point in time the aircraft change was made, so they could have looked at the people they were going to downgrade and looked for alternate routing to their final destination. I assume I was not the only person to be downgraded on this flight.

So it most certainly does happen, and BA most certainly could review the way they handle such circumstances. However, I have no idea of the circumstances of the OP, so cannot comment directly on that situation.
Old Sep 24, 03, 12:47 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
NM's post belies a bigger problem in the way BA handles re-seating of pax when there's been a change of config or aircraft.

I've recently been re-seated twice - in spite of having pre-allocated seats - when travelling on intra-European flights. Thankfully I wasn't involuntarily downgraded but I was slightly miffed by the way BA handled the situation (or didn't...)

The first I knew about the re-seating was when I double checked the earlier record I'd kept of my pre-allocated seats. Fair enough that pax get moved around when a config or aircraft changes, but BA should be telling people this when they check in.

The ops manager at one of the airports I flew from told me that the check-in staff will be none the wiser [true?] and that seating is handled by BA centrally, not locally.

If this is the case, why doesn't BA think about getting a message through to its local operations so that ground staff there can warn pax about to fly? Seems like a small gesture would go a long way...
Old Sep 24, 03, 5:53 am

NM, am very impressed with how you handled the situation: good move and it paid off (fortunately).

I really am shocked at how BA have handled such situations: if I pay for business class travel, then that's what I expect. Most people book to fly business class (that happens to be on BA), not to fly BA (that happens to be in business class).

If BA can't provide it, then they should look at either alternative routing or endorsing the ticket over to another carrier. I know that most discounted business class tickets are not endorseable to another carrier, but if BA mess up then they should sort it out. BA should act with the class that want to be perceived as having...

Boo
Old Sep 24, 03, 8:36 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by virtualtroy:
The ops manager at one of the airports I flew from told me that the check-in staff will be none the wiser [true?] and that seating is handled by BA centrally, not locally.</font>
In my case, I checked-in about 3 hours early for the flight, and it is quite likely that at the time I checked-in, nobody knew there was going to be an aircraft change. I can only assume this was a last minute change. However, the departure was more or less on-time, so it was not too last minute.

I can understand that the check-in people didn't know. However, when I entered the BA EC lounge they swiped my boarding pass, so they knew I was in there and could easily have paged me to discuss various options that would be acceptable to me an BA. I would have been happy to travel on any one of 6 different flights departing that night that would have got me to Brisbane on the same day as originally planned. I would have been happy to stay overnight in London and flown the following day on any BA, QF or CX flight, all of which my One World explorer ticket was valid for travel. They could have offered reasonable incentive for me to accept a downgrade.

But no, they decided to give me a B seat boarding pass in the WT cabin at the boarding gate instead.

Search this Thread