Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bacon sandwich is a nice Ham sandwich served by BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2003, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Just a little clarification for the Yankees about the breakfast sandwich served in the BA lounge and and in First. Menu says Bacon but we call it HAM. Oh yeah it's good.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what particular product of the pig is called bacon in the US? That shrivelled up overcooked crispy stuff?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Hang on a sec.....

We Brits also have Ham, and it is Ham not Bacon. When I've been in the USA I've asked for Ham and been given Ham, not bacon. So what is Bacon...?

Another thing I have never been able to buy in the USA is Gammon - though I suppose that's just a thick piece of Ham?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 2:28 am

So what about the BA All-day-Deli "B.L.T." which is actually ham?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Before this gets too confused, it can probably be wrapped up by pointing out that in the USA, there is no product available that is really comparable to what we call bacon in the UK (although our bacon is a bit more like ham than their bacon, which might wexpain the easrlier posting).

Whatever, those of us living this side of the pond should be happy to have our bacon and not complain.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 3:52 am

Americanising the BA menu?

What next, "eggplant bakes", "fish and fries", "egg custard with caramel"...?

Boo
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Ah, but isn't our (i.e UK) bacon available in two types - streaky and back?

Streaky bacon being about 50% fat and akin to the american version, whilst back bacon has far less fat?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:25 am

Yes, although don't tend to see much streaky bacon cooked in this country (although I see it in supermarkets - it isn't common place in restaurants over here...)

Must admitt that I love crispy American style bacon (I know, traitor!), but wouldn't dream of buying streaky bacon in the UK.. (very odd of me).

Boo
Old Sep 29, 2003, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
This is the first thread in the history of FlyerTalk that has actually got me salivating.

I'm going to have go out and get a Bacon Butty for lunch - I can hear the sizzle and smell it already.....
Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:57 am
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
I've always found that you get something like the British equivalent of bacon by asking for 'Canadian bacon' in the US. Is that right?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:03 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well, I wonder if they'll serve that in First from Cairo this week???

BTW, it is bacon and not ham. What you attempt to call bacon, we would refer to as streaky bacon. And to be honest, I would only use that for cooking (and even then I tend to opt for some nice pancetta instead).

Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:05 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
And don't forget the HP sauce!!!!!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LHR Tim:
And don't forget the HP sauce!!!!!</font>
....applied so liberally that it squirts out the side when you take your first mouth-watering bite!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
The UK streaky = American Bacon doesn't really cut it with me. Yes Amercian bacon is more similar to UK Streaky than to our back bacon, but its still not the same. American bacon is still even fattier and usually more thinly cut.

Canadian bacon is a little closer (i.e. meatier) but it seems more processed to me - certainly formed into rounds and usually a sweeter cure, even that a maple or sweetcure you might get here (the UK).

btwm, moderator, this has nothing to do with BA or miles, but at least its providing some hunger pangs.

FWIW,m I used to live in the US and spent a lot of time trying to find a UK-style bacon, so I feel quite well qualified to comment on this.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:50 am

No. No. No. HP sauce, honestly.

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Somehow that tastes even better at 30,000ft than on the ground.

By default BA acbin-crew tend to bring you a decanted splodge of that horrible red sauce Americans' are so fond of.

If you must have HP at least show some class and call it 'Oxford Sauce'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.