Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tier points on single flight number journeys via BHX

Old Sep 29, 2003, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card

I'm looking to book a weekend city break beforethe current sale finishes. EDI-MAD "I" class Club fares are coming in at £200.

Usually when I go to Europe I go via LHR or LGW - and you therefore get tier points for the Domestic plus the European (20+40+40+20) - but of course that is two flights each way with different flight numbers.

The EDI-MAD via Birmingham is a single flight number - though you do have to get off at BHX for an hour.

Anyone know whether I would just get the one set of tier points given it is the same flight number?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:34 am
dnw

One flight number = one set of points/miles, regardless of stops.

Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:16 am

I disagree, I have always recieved two lots of points for via BHX flights, even with the same flight number*.

The wrinkle is that, althought there is only one flight number, the flights via Birmingam are neither Direct nor non-stop.

The intricacies of the BA system mean that the full flight numbers are actually different, althought the abridged number the passenger sees is the same.

Straying slightly from the point, the BHX-MAD service is one of only a handfull of routes operated by BA from BHX, the majority being operated by the Franchise parter Maersk Air (now Duo and shortly to cease being a franchise parter).

The service is once a day and BA have very few of their own aircraft at BHX. Delays on this service and the Rome service from BHX are the stuff of legends. Be warned!

*To give a fuller picture, if you have a fully-flex fare, you can argue with the EC for two lots of points as you could have had a stop over at BHX. I have been successful with this on a couple of occassions when they have only posted a single set of points.

Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:08 am
dnw

I remember distinctly that PLH-BRS-DUB on a single flight number used to net only one set of points/miles, even if both sectors were saleable individually and you had to get off and back on again in BRS. Same with PLH-NQY-LGW (although you dont get off there) and in the old days PLH-JER-CDG (where you did get off and back on again)... all posted a single set.

But I am sure Nick is right as always! because of the not-the-same-but-the-same flight numbers, do you get another boarding pass at BHX? If so you would almost certainly get two sets.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:

But I am sure Nick is right as always! because of the not-the-same-but-the-same flight numbers, do you get another boarding pass at BHX? If so you would almost certainly get two sets.
</font>
I assume so - as technically I could sit in a B (or E depending on equipment) seat EDI-BHX - which would no longer exist in the Club Cabin.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:05 pm

Yes, you get another boarding pass. They have a habit of changing the aircraft at BHX.

You have remove your belonnings, get off the plane, through arrivals and then flight transfer and then into departures.

There is nothing I can think of that makes these flights any different to a normal connection (other than the same flight number).

They change the cabin-crew quite often as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.