Would You Consider These Flights Tortuous?

Old Sep 25, 03, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Would You Consider These Flights Tortuous?

Manchester to Venice in an Embraer, and Manchester to Billund in a J41. Due to OW award routings, I may not have any other options.

Old Sep 25, 03, 4:35 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Could be fine, could be awful. I don't know BA RJs outside the ARJ, but I was on a MA F70 LGW-BUD which was awful, thanks to MA's over-reclining seats.

If the seat size/pitch/recline is like the ARJs, though, it should be fine. LGW-VRN in an ARJ was perfectly comfortable.
Old Sep 25, 03, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
RJs shudder

anything small with a prop except my little Grob Tutor makes me wince!
Old Sep 26, 03, 2:46 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
MAN - Billund in a J41 is fine - better than the ATP. Just hope you don't need to use the toilet.

Think of the alternative going through LON

As to the RJ - best seat is in Y so why waste money on club
Old Sep 26, 03, 3:10 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by glenngpr:
Manchester to Venice in an Embraer, and Manchester to Billund in a J41. Due to OW award routings, I may not have any other options.</font>
I like the "Jungle Jet". It is configured 1-2. Seat pitch is good although elbow room at the windows is a bit tight.

I've not been on a J41 for years and can't really comment. However, 1h 50m in a small turboprop will not be too comfortable.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Sep 26, 03, 4:07 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum, Emirates Gold, Flying Blue Gold
I have flown the BLL on the J41 and ATP a number of times. Operator is Sun Air of Denmark and I got a nice half tray meal of Danish salad, cheese etc.

ATP is slower and gets there in almost 2 hours which can be a drag. J41 is faster but less comfortable as there are no arm rests on some seats and the body curve is more than the EM4. However, using BLL is a pleasure.
Old Sep 26, 03, 4:10 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
A few simple words of advice..

1. Do not attempt to take more than a newspaper and paperback book as carry on

2. Wear clothes that can take being crumpled.

3. Check in online as soon as you can to ensure you get the single seat. As Gaza says, the elbow room when crammed in is awful.

Expect little and you might be surprised !
Old Sep 26, 03, 5:35 am

With Birmingham as my local airport or we have now is ARJ's and Emb's).

I hated them to start with, but have become accustomed to them.

The single seat option is always a big question. Single seat and you are sure of no elbow invasion, but hold out and you may get a double to yourself, which actually gives you a little space to eat-and-drink, read the paper etc.

My Samsonite roller-bag fits the overhead lockers fine, although the cabin-crew have to feel indulgent for you to get it on.

The crew have space to hang their jackets, ask nicely and quietly and you may be lucky.

One last tip: On the Emb (1-2 config), BA block-off [normally*] the very first single seat (the argument being you cannot see the safety demo from the seat). Even on the most full of flights, ask early enough and you should be able to bag this seat. Of course some of us have an arrangement at check-in

*They some times forget, and the crew get grumpy!
Old Sep 26, 03, 11:07 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by db7:
MAN - Billund in a J41 is fine - better than the ATP. Just hope you don't need to use the toilet.

Think of the alternative going through LON

As to the RJ - best seat is in Y so why waste money on club
</font>

London does not appear to be a viable option.
Routing to BLL from LON is via MAN, EDI or Oslo. I'm originating in New York, so Manchester (or Dublin) are the best bets.
Old Sep 26, 03, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I like the Embraer, I get to have both an window seat and an isle seat at the same time.

I can just about live with BA's Avros (had a couple of flights on these in the last week). I noticed that Biz class pax on the Avro don't get 1 inch of extra leg space though so I wouldn't see the point in paying the extra just for a better meal service.
Old Sep 26, 03, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Internaut:
I like the Embraer, I get to have both an window seat and an isle seat at the same time.

I can just about live with BA's Avros (had a couple of flights on these in the last week). I noticed that Biz class pax on the Avro don't get 1 inch of extra leg space though so I wouldn't see the point in paying the extra just for a better meal service.
</font>
They do get slightly wider seats (3x3 convertible to 3x2) but not as wide as on 737 etc. Also the 2 side is DF rather than AC
Old Sep 26, 03, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
They do get slightly wider seats (3x3 convertible to 3x2) but not as wide as on 737 etc. Also the 2 side is DF rather than AC</font>
Ahh, I have seen this before (but not on BA if I remember correctly). My flights from MAN to MAD and back were both packed and in the 3X3 config. The poor people in Biz didn't even get an optional drink while the plane was still on the ground.

Search this Thread