Security risk?!

Old Sep 25, 03, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Security risk?!

I wanted to find out how many tier points I would earn on a BA franchise sector (JNB/NBO) so I emailed the EC to ask them. I received this reply:

"
Dear Mr *****,

We are unable to advice you with regards to the number of Tier Points
you will receive on the sector mentioned by you due to security reasons.
Please contact your Executive Club dedicated tier line where one of the
agents will be pleased to assist you.

Hope you understand our position.

Thank you for contacting us.

Swaroop
British Airways

"

Security resons?!
Old Sep 25, 03, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This looks like idiocy to me. I have me ideas why you got this response, but I am afraid that they may be seen as un-PC by those that support outsourcing to India.
Old Sep 25, 03, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
This looks like idiocy to me. I have me ideas why you got this response, but I am afraid that they may be seen as un-PC by those that support outsourcing to India.</font>
Without being in the least bit un-PC, the problem is people with "no trace of any real job knowledge whatsoever" reading from a prepared script.

The problem occurs because there is something of a gold rush to India at the moment and no consideration whatsoever is given to the type of job and quality/quantity of training that is suitable for otherwise very well educated people who know little of our markets.

Edited to correct some awful English.

[This message has been edited by Internaut (edited 09-25-2003).]
Old Sep 25, 03, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I wonder whether the person replying might have confused tier points with BA Miles. If the number of BA Miles earned depends on your tier, because of the tier bonus, then telling an enquirer how many BA Miles a particular account will earn on a particular sector could tell the enquirer the tier level - a sort of reverse engineering.

As an e-mail enquiry doesn't guarantee the identity of the enquirer or that he's entitled to know any details of the account, policy may be to keep this confidential, and "security" could be a perfectly reasonable reason given for maintaining this confidentiality.

Of course, this wouldn't excuse the confusion between tier points and BA Miles. But if you identify the misunderstanding that's occurred, the answer given may actually be a little less off-the-wall than it initially seems.
Old Sep 25, 03, 11:00 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Loyal:
I wanted to find out how many tier points I would earn on a BA franchise sector (JNB/NBO) so I emailed the EC to ask them.</font>
If you had gotten a sensible (to quote Jim Royale: "Security? My A**e! ) answer it would have been the same as the answer given to you on the oneworld forum.

You get the Miles and Tier Points for the Cabin flown. The fact that your are on a OWE First Class Itinerary counts for nothing. As these flights are under 2000 Miles then you will get 40 Tier Points for Business Class.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Sep 26, 03, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
What about NBO / SEZ in F?

There is nothing in the rules for BA F flights under 2000 miles!
Old Sep 26, 03, 3:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Your Mission should you chose to accept it, will be to neutralise this Security Risk.

This Gold Card will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Search this Thread