FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Access to First and Concorde Lounge in LHR even if flying AA First Class (A)?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/34539-access-first-concorde-lounge-lhr-even-if-flying-aa-first-class.html)

Peter_D Sep 23, 2003 9:00 am

Access to First and Concorde Lounge in LHR even if flying AA First Class (A)??

I have read such interesting postings about the BA lounges in LHR. Can anyone tell me, if I have access to these lounges even if flying "only" American with paid F (A-class)?

CT-UK Sep 23, 2003 9:13 am

You will not be able to use these lounges as AA fly from T3 and not T4. BAA stop people from going to the wrong termnails.

Unfortunately I find the AA lounges in T3 to be very tired.

Peter_D Sep 23, 2003 9:17 am

Thanks for the quick answer. But what, if I arrive in T4 (in Eco) and have allready the boarding pass for AA. Theoretically - is this lounge only for BA customers flying First or for all OW-Pax??

[This message has been edited by Peter_D (edited 09-23-2003).]

ScottC Sep 23, 2003 9:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Peter_D:
Thanks for the quick answer. But what, if I arrive in T4 (in Eco) and have allready the boarding pass for AA. Theoretically - is this lounge only for BA customers flying First or for all OW-Pax??

[This message has been edited by Peter_D (edited 09-23-2003).]
</font>
If you arrive in T4 and leave through a different terminal then you could in theory go back though security up into Terminal 4. However, the BA lounge staff won't let you in on that ticket and will direct you to the correct terminal.

UA_Eagle Sep 23, 2003 10:48 am

And in any case, if you are OW Sapphire or Ruby, I think you wouldn't be allowed into BA F or Concorde lounges even if you're flying in other OW airline's F. OW lounges access are based only on OW elite status, not class of service on OW partners. However OW airlines often have aggreements with other OW partners to share/lease out lounges, but these are separate from OW elite program.

That is why CX F paxs can use BA's F lounge, in JFK, BA F paxs use AA's Flagship Lounge in LHR T3, QF F paxs use AA's Flagship Lounge in LAX, etc. It may look like OW paxs flying F on other OW airlines, but aren't OW Emerald can use just any other OW F lounges they like, but it isn't always the case.

But if I'm wrong, please let me know...

BA Loyal Sep 23, 2003 10:54 am

Does that mean if I am flying F to Miami from LHR T3 I will have access to AA's flagship lounge?
Presumably it is far superior to BA's T3 lounge?

UA_Eagle Sep 23, 2003 11:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Loyal:
Does that mean if I am flying F to Miami from LHR T3 I will have access to AA's flagship lounge?
Presumably it is far superior to BA's T3 lounge?
</font>
Yes I believe you can visit AA's FL if travelling in BA F departing from T3. But you have no choice but to visit AA lounges if you want a lounge, because BA closed down their lounge in T3 a while ago. However from what I've heard about AA's Flagship lounge (I've never been in there), it isn't anything to get excited about. But I'm sure others will tell you more about it.

I think AA lounges in T3 serves as lounges for all OW airlines in T3 (BA, AA, CX). Hmmm, that'd explain why AC was so crowded last year when I flew from LHR (after BA lounge closed down).

[Editted to clarify visiting AA's FL in T3]
[Editted again to be even more clear--we need a preview!]

[This message has been edited by UA_Eagle (edited 09-23-2003).]

Globaliser Sep 23, 2003 11:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Loyal:
Presumably it is far superior to BA's T3 lounge?</font>
It is. But that's largely because BA's T3 lounge doesn't exist any more.

Unfortunately, I am condemned to the AA Admirals Club in T3 on my MIA flights now. I have to wonder whether it might be worth my while to park myself in Chez Gerard instead.

LondonElite Sep 23, 2003 11:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
it might be worth my while to park myself in Chez Gerard instead.</font>
Yes...absolutely. Better food, better wine. Almost anything beats the AA FL T3 (except for the UA RCC, perhaps).

ScottC Sep 23, 2003 11:49 am

I agree, the AA FL lounge is a shambles. The only nice part of it is the entry area, after that it's a dump. Although as posted before me, the UA RCC at T3 makes the AA FL lounge look like a palace...

BA Loyal Sep 23, 2003 11:56 am

Sounds like arrival at T3 should be kept to the last minute then! How's the shopping area - any improvement - I haven't been to T3 for 3 or 4 years now...

UA_Eagle Sep 23, 2003 12:02 pm

Sounds like arrival at T3 should be kept to the last minute then! How's the shopping area - any improvement - I haven't been to T3 for 3 or 4 years now...</font>
It's a messy maze, full of duty-free stores. The layout is designed, of course, to suck as much of your money while waiting in the general "lounge" or on your way to the airline lounges or gates. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

alexwuk Sep 23, 2003 3:11 pm

If you fly AA or CX ex-LHR very frequently; you might want to consider doing a few mileage runs in SQ F SIN-KUL v.v. (Cheaper tickets are actually KUL-SIN-KUL SQ F), crediting the miles to VS.

After four returns (about £500 IIRC) you'll be a VS Gold, and will be allowed access to the LHR clubhouse, regardless of who you fly and Class of Service. The Clubhouse is undoubtably the best lounge in T3 (Including SQ F - SQ F pax should remember that they have access to the Clubhouse!); and if you spend a lot of time in T3, it may be worth the money & time spent on the KUL runs.

Regards,
Alex

ScottC Sep 23, 2003 3:14 pm

Sounds like arrival at T3 should be kept to the last minute then! How's the shopping area - any improvement - I haven't been to T3 for 3 or 4 years now...</font>
Oddly enough when you walk through you almost automatically pass THROUGH some of the stores... Nothing really worthwhile there except for several high class stores...

Swanhunter Sep 23, 2003 4:06 pm

T3 lounges in personal order of preference

1 VS clubhouse - Alex's tip is a good one
2 SQ F Lounge
3 The London lounge (AC/SK)
4 SQ C Lounge
5 AA Flagship lounge
6 Admirals club
7 UA RCC

Never been in the UA First lounge.

The saving grace of the FL is the availability of halfway drinkable champagne. And it's arguably the best AA lounge in the network - says a lot for the rest.