Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Access to First and Concorde Lounge in LHR even if flying AA First Class (A)??

Access to First and Concorde Lounge in LHR even if flying AA First Class (A)??

Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:
Never been in the UA First lounge.</font>
It's not much different from the rest of the place!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
It's not much different from the rest of the place!</font>
I found the UA 1st lounge quite nice when I used it when travelling with EK. Nice waiter service of drinks ( from a fairly well stocked bar ) plus sandwiches et al. Not as nice as the BA lounges but way better than the American Airlines apology of a lounge

Dave
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
Yes...absolutely. Better food, better wine. Almost anything beats the AA FL T3 (except for the UA RCC, perhaps).</font>
Come now, it's not that bad. I cannot comment on the wines and the spirits are the cheapest going, but they do a neat line in Champagne and will actually leave the bottle (split size but corked not screwtop) in a little ice bucket. At least they have everyting serve yourself as opposed to some barman as they do domestically.

Yes, I agree it is tired looking but I have to say that I can think of worse. I am always struck with how big the place is. The First Class lounge I have never visited, but am told that it is quite small.

Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you talking about the RCC? I've never seen Champagne there (except in the F section)

I agree it's big, but have you ever been there at the time in the afternoon when the flights to IAD, ORD, JFK and BOS all go within about 2 hours of each other?...the place is a zoo!.

The views of the airfield are good, but the lounge needs a bit of sprucing up (which is why many UA flyers head over to the London Lounge).
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:07 am

Scott, ct-uk, and UA Eagle, I disagree with what all of you have said. First, you absolutely can get into another oneworld airline lounge on an F ticket unless the partner lounge is contracted. Then, it's technically not a oneworld lounge and it's up to the agreement that contracting airline has with the lounge owner.

Second, there are two things standing in your way of arriving in T4, using the lounge in T4, and departing from T3. First is security. Second is BA's arrogance that they are better than the rest of the alliance. According to the alliance rules, you can absolutely go to the F and Concorde lounges with an AA F ticket.

Chances of getting turned away by either are medium at this point. Pre-Sept 11, security was never an issue. Post, it became much more of an issue and I was turned away. Recently, however, it's become less of an issue. And when I say "issue", I mean going through sterile transit in T4 to get from arrivals hall to departures. Getting turned away by BA is hit or miss. It just depends on who is in front of you and what rules they want to make up.

And before the pundits come out, this is off of probably 5 personal experiences and one recent experience (June) by a fellow FTer whom I went somewhere with. Of the personal experiences, I was only denied once. It was by security and in Jan 2002 when things were still very tight.

And to say that AA's London lounges are "tired" is one of the biggest understatements I have seen today. They are terrible on so many levels (as is all of T3). That's why I have taken every chance I have had to transit back into T4 and hang out in the Concorde lounge instead of sitting in the FS lounge.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Darren:
First, you absolutely can get into another oneworld airline lounge on an F ticket unless the partner lounge is contracted. . </font>

Is this a published benefit (I know it is on *A)? I remember searching for this on the OW website and not finding it. It would useful to have a copy in case of any....ah...disagreements!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:24 am

Are you talking about the RCC? I've never seen Champagne there (except in the F section)

I agree it's big, but have you ever been there at the time in the afternoon when the flights to IAD, ORD, JFK and BOS all go within about 2 hours of each other?...the place is a zoo!.

The views of the airfield are good, but the lounge needs a bit of sprucing up (which is why many UA flyers head over to the London Lounge).
</font>

No sorry I was taling about the AC, but you have to ask - same as in the Terraces at BA.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"Second, there are two things standing in your way of arriving in T4, using the lounge in T4, and departing from T3. First is security. Second is BA's arrogance that they are better than the rest of the alliance. According to the alliance rules, you can absolutely go to the F and Concorde lounges with an AA F ticket."

Well, there are a few things wrong here. 1st, there is a BAA regulation which tells lounges to limit access only to passengers departing that terminal ( this trumps any alliances ideas of reciprocality )

Also, you have no right of access to the Concorde Room at all. Even if you are admitted, as a AA F passengers, you are entitled only to access to the First lounge, not to the Concorde Room. There is no agreements in place within OW allowing access to this room. If they have allowed you into the room based on an AA F ticket that is offering you more than you are entitled

"It just depends on who is in front of you and what rules they want to make up."

There are no rules to make up. The BAA don't want passengers in lounges in other areas of the airport.

"And to say that AA's London lounges are "tired" is one of the biggest understatements I have seen today."

here I would agree.

As far as getting into other lounges go, it is really a case of trying n see what happens; sometimes it may work, others it may not. Just as long as people don't get shirty with the lounge staff if they enforce the rules, all is well imo

Dave
Old Sep 24, 2003, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Darren:
Scott, ct-uk, and UA Eagle, I disagree with what all of you have said. First, you absolutely can get into another oneworld airline lounge on an F ticket unless the partner lounge is contracted. Then, it's technically not a oneworld lounge and it's up to the agreement that contracting airline has with the lounge owner.

Second, there are two things standing in your way of arriving in T4, using the lounge in T4, and departing from T3. First is security. Second is BA's arrogance that they are better than the rest of the alliance. According to the alliance rules, you can absolutely go to the F and Concorde lounges with an AA F ticket.

Chances of getting turned away by either are medium at this point. Pre-Sept 11, security was never an issue. Post, it became much more of an issue and I was turned away. Recently, however, it's become less of an issue. And when I say "issue", I mean going through sterile transit in T4 to get from arrivals hall to departures. Getting turned away by BA is hit or miss. It just depends on who is in front of you and what rules they want to make up.

And before the pundits come out, this is off of probably 5 personal experiences and one recent experience (June) by a fellow FTer whom I went somewhere with. Of the personal experiences, I was only denied once. It was by security and in Jan 2002 when things were still very tight.

And to say that AA's London lounges are "tired" is one of the biggest understatements I have seen today. They are terrible on so many levels (as is all of T3). That's why I have taken every chance I have had to transit back into T4 and hang out in the Concorde lounge instead of sitting in the FS lounge.
</font>
Darren, first of all, T4 transfer center security doesn't check boarding passes so there is no way they will be able to deny you entering the terminal even if you are departing from T3. However, as mentioned earlier the lounge staff will NOT let you in on an AA F BP as AA does not leave from T4. This isn't about OW rules, it's about BAA's restrictions on lounge access. Plus, the Concorde Lounge is NOT part of the Oneworld lounge agreements as it is not a First or Business class lounge. Had AA departed from T4 then you would be allowed into the T4 First lounge on an AA F ticket.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Wow,

thanks to all of you for all these answers.
No I see I have no right, but I will try it at least. :-)
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:50 pm

Then my experiences differ from yours. As I said, this is not off what I have heard, it's off what I have done. Maybe I have gotten lucky, maybe the rules aren't enforced, whatever. And as I said, someone else did it in June. Arrived on BA, transited upstairs (and they have always checked BP or ticket at the metal detector and xray) sat around in the concorde lounge (which I agree, shouldnt have happened for concorde lounge) until the flight to the US on American Airlines. They always let me into the Concorde Lounge, but they were clear that I was not to go to the MB spa for treatment. Shower was okay. Sad thing is that all I really wanted was a computer to check my email. Otherwise, I wouldnt bother and would just sit in T3 and watch the people go by.

All I can say is that I still disagree. I am most certainly not saying any of you are wrong, I am saying I disagree. Maybe its a theory vs. practice difference. But my experience has been 100% contrary to all of what has been said.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:53 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
oops wrong thread.

[This message has been edited by CT-UK (edited 09-24-2003).]

[This message has been edited by CT-UK (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then my experiences differ from yours. As I said, this is not off what I have heard, it's off what I have done. Maybe I have gotten lucky, maybe the rules aren't enforced, whatever. And as I said, someone else did it in June. Arrived on BA, transited upstairs (and they have always checked BP or ticket at the metal detector and xray) sat around in the concorde lounge (which I agree, shouldnt have happened for concorde lounge) until the flight to the US on American Airlines. They always let me into the Concorde Lounge, but they were clear that I was not to go to the MB spa for treatment. Shower was okay. Sad thing is that all I really wanted was a computer to check my email. Otherwise, I wouldnt bother and would just sit in T3 and watch the people go by.

All I can say is that I still disagree. I am most certainly not saying any of you are wrong, I am saying I disagree. Maybe its a theory vs. practice difference. But my experience has been 100% contrary to all of what has been said.
</font>
If all you want is a PC then email me next time and I'll give you the access code to the business lounge

As for checking BP at transfer security, in my 100's of flights where I transferred in T4 I've not once been asked for it...
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">As for checking BP at transfer security, in my 100's of flights where I transferred in T4 I've not once been asked for it...</font>
Dunno. Somewhere I am pretty sure that I still have a ticket with the clearance stamp on it.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:

After four returns (about Ł500 IIRC) you'll be a VS Gold, and will be allowed access to the LHR clubhouse, regardless of who you fly and Class of Service. The Clubhouse is undoubtably the best lounge in T3 (Including SQ F - SQ F pax should remember that they have access to the Clubhouse!); and if you spend a lot of time in T3, it may be worth the money & time spent on the KUL runs.

Regards,
Alex
</font>
Are you saying that as a VS Gold I can use the T3 Clubhouse even if I'm flying AA? Now you tell me. I spent 4 hours at AA's Flagship "Lounge" earlier this week when connecting between CX F and AA F. One learns a lot in FlyerTalk, but sometimes too late. Next time, I shouldn't be so cavalier about knowing what pile of benefits I am entitled to...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.