Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pay for food and drinks on BA Basle codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

British Airways would like to inform you on changes on BA codeshare flights (BA6670 - BA6675) on the London - Basle route, operated by our partner Swiss International Air Lines that from the 1st October, 2003, there will be a change to the Economy Cabin inflight service. In the Economy Cabin only, Swiss International Air Lines will introduce a concept of payment on board for all hot/cold drinks and snacks.

As part of our disclosure statement when booking a BA codeshare flight between London and Basle operated by Swiss, it is important to advise customers travelling in the Economy Cabin that there will not be complimentary refreshments but that they have the option to purchase food and beverages on board.

British Airways remains committed to providing a full service to our Euro Traveller customers whilst recognising the need for our partner airlines to adjust their level of service to meet both the needs of their customers and their business.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:21 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Somethings in the air.... and it aint smelling to good
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are we putting bets on how long it will take till BA has a similar "trial"???
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:46 am

Hope the 'trial' will not be the same as current one on LX...

They only serve one (1) drink during the 'trial' period and don't dare asking for a glass of water. Had a rather nasty reply from cabin crew for being greedy!!

Long live Starbucks at Zurich airport and Steiner - the bakery with the most delicious sandwiches!!!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:26 am

Scott, for once I got there before you!

www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/005095.html
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:02 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I'm tempted to write to BA and ask them if they will be reducing their fares to compensate for the permanent reduction in service.

How much is a deli bag worth anyway ? I think it might be time to buy shares in M&S or go into an airport retail JV with them in LHR T1.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GK:

How much is a deli bag worth anyway ? I think it might be time to buy shares in M&S or go into an airport retail JV with them in LHR T1.
</font>
On one flioght where they had not loaded up the Deli Bags we were given a voucher for £3.50.

Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GK:
I'm tempted to write to BA and ask them if they will be reducing their fares to compensate for the permanent reduction in service.

</font>
I'd prefer an M&S sandwich over the Deli bag anytime!

Or a bag of the First lounges Tandoori chicken sandwiches

Or, even beter: a Pret a manger all day breakfast sandwich
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:37 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I'd prefer an M&S sandwich over the Deli bag anytime!

Or a bag of the First lounges Tandoori chicken sandwiches

Or, even beter: a Pret a manger all day breakfast sandwich
</font>
Scott,

Shouldn't the above use and instead of or?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
As far as I'm concerned the best place for breakfast in LHR Terminal 4 (...apart from the Concorde Room of course) is Pret a Manger.

I would not be particularly disappointed if BA were to lower fares and remove the All Day Deli concept from their 90 minute or less flights. Provided that tea/coffee/drinks remained free, they can ditch the food and I'll buy to take on board with me.

There is a Pret a Manger in T1 International Departures and a Costa Coffee (that sells wonderful sandwiches) at Gate 5 UK Domestic, so the "infrastructure" is already in place.

(Edit: NYTimes article on bringing your own on-board: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/23/na...wanted=1&8hpib )

[This message has been edited by BahrainLad (edited 09-23-2003).]
Old Sep 23, 2003, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'd love to have a Burmese takeout concession at airports in the culinarily less-adventurous parts of the world. The only dish I'd serve would be (phonetically pronounced) lepak - a garlicky rice dish wrapped in fermented tea leaves. I used to flee at the smell when I was younger.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
I'd love to have a Burmese takeout concession at airports in the culinarily less-adventurous parts of the world. The only dish I'd serve would be (phonetically pronounced) lepak - a garlicky rice dish wrapped in fermented tea leaves. I used to flee at the smell when I was younger.</font>
The idea of 90 people in a Euro Traveller metal tube all munching on a Tandoori doesn't seem very appealing to me
Old Sep 23, 2003, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
The idea of 90 people in a Euro Traveller metal tube all munching on a Tandoori doesn't seem very appealing to me </font>
Nah, the smell of tandoori and other odiferous meals, even when converted to gaseous form through one's digestive system, is pretty insipid compared to that stuff.

The most nauseous take-on food I've smelled so far was cheesesteak sandwiches with los of fried onions. And they were being eaten by an East Indian family!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:05 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
The fundamental problem here is that LX fly from T2, while the only Pret facility on that side of the airport is in T1 departures.

Hence to get decent food before a BSL (or indeed any LX flight ex-LHR), one has a ten minute trek past Europier to get a decent sandwich. Otherwise the only other choice in T2 is the Nero upstairs (Whose sandwiches are woeful when compared to the juicy, tasty, lush Pret counterpart). The 'food' in the LH SEN lounge isn't even worth "borrowing" to take on the flight; and I'm not even sure that LX have their own LHR lounge?

Regards,
Alex
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:
The fundamental problem here is that LX fly from T2, while the only Pret facility on that side of the airport is in T1 departures.

Hence to get decent food before a BSL (or indeed any LX flight ex-LHR), one has a ten minute trek past Europier to get a decent sandwich. Otherwise the only other choice in T2 is the Nero upstairs (Whose sandwiches are woeful when compared to the juicy, tasty, lush Pret counterpart). The 'food' in the LH SEN lounge isn't even worth "borrowing" to take on the flight; and I'm not even sure that LX have their own LHR lounge?

Regards,
Alex
</font>
According to BAA's website T2 also has a Brioche Doree landside(sandwiches and pastries), a pizza express landside and a weatherspoons... Shame Weatherspoons doesn't do takeaway orders, I'm sure a nice portion of fish and chips on the plane would smell great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.