BA doesn't comp Gold, huh?

Old Sep 19, 03, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
BA doesn't comp Gold, huh?

This is what I've heard time and again on this board. However, this year there was a snafu with the registration of the tier points I earned, and BA had manually upgrade me to Gold. Because of this, BA's CRM system decided to send me a "you've just been comped" message along with the new card:

Welcome to the British Airways Executive Club

In recognition of the importance you have to our business you have been nominated for discretionary Gold membership of the Executive Club.

...which leads me to believe that comping isn't that rare if they have automatic mailings set up for it.
Old Sep 19, 03, 2:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
That's clearly a personal note, Markonen...it's addresses you...

--Grog--
Old Sep 19, 03, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine that the message is used for travel budget 'key decision makers' who BA want to be nice too. When ECCA's still existed, I think they used to come with a few complimentary Golds, Silvers etc.

I don't think it's a message that's used for the general public.
Old Sep 19, 03, 4:09 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:
I imagine that the message is used for travel budget 'key decision makers' who BA want to be nice too. When ECCA's still existed, I think they used to come with a few complimentary Golds, Silvers etc.

I don't think it's a message that's used for the general public.
</font>
It is not just key travel decision makers that get Gold and Silver cards. In my last two companies (big suppliers to BA) the Account Directors and some of the senior Account Managers were given comp cards.

This is very different from the "I'm Gold with XX airline, will you give me the same status on BA?" type request.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Sep 19, 03, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody ever said BA NEVER comp's, as Gaza said, they just don't do it based on showing them a UA 1P card or something like that.

In the ECCCA program there were often a set amount of cards based on company revenue. Also, certain regions would have their sales managers hand out a card to high revenue passengers. As always, anyone who could prove high revenue in advance could always request a card, and I'm not talking about the UA 1K's that make top-tier for $6000 as that is usually the price of just one ticket on BA...

On FT A "comp" is usually referring to a status match, that is something BA doesn't do. When it's a comp as in complimentary then yes, BA does have procedures in place for that.
Old Sep 20, 03, 10:09 am

Had the message you received said something like...."Based on your United 1K status we are happy to offer you a Gold....etc.." it would be a completely different story.

Of course BA gives Gold to commercially important people , every airline does, absolutely nothing new there. However, BA does not "comp" in the traditional FT,"status-match" sense.
Old Sep 20, 03, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh how the goalposts have changed over the years!!
Old Sep 22, 03, 3:37 pm

BA offers status match Gold membership to staff at the company I work for. And I was able to get BA Gold off the bat just over a year ago by pleading that I had been Star Alliance gold by virtue of premium membership in Ansett Global Awards - which had died in September 2001!
Old Sep 24, 03, 3:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
BA comps gold if the sales manager smells revenue. I know many specific cases. They do not do it automatically but by judging the strategic importance of the account. It is much easier to get comped in Asia, Middle East or Africa (and possibly continental Europe) than in North America and UK.
Old Sep 24, 03, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by enjoystravel:
BA comps gold if the sales manager smells revenue. I know many specific cases. They do not do it automatically but by judging the strategic importance of the account. It is much easier to get comped in Asia, Middle East or Africa (and possibly continental Europe) than in North America and UK. </font>
Yes, but "revenue" to the BA account manager is different than what many here on FT think is revenue. With tickets at around $6500 each in premium cabins just a single ticket is worth more than many here pay all year on ALL tickets to make 1K. Last figure I heard was between $50k and $100k depending on the route and cabins will get a comp as part of an agreement with an account manager.
Old Sep 24, 03, 9:04 am

As part of Corporate deals BA offer discretionary cards. There is a pretty strict formula to the number and type of discretionary are granted.

Normally BA ask their company (or travel agent) contact to allocated the discretionary cards [Account Manager], but it is possible to bypass that, although any cards given will always be part of the overall allocation.

Each year BA produce a report for each company of their discretionary card holders and give them the opportunity to review the allocation.

With the demise of ECCCAs in July, the number of discretionary cards will be drastically reduced [I don't know if it is still true, but I once heard the figure of 1,050 Prems; 26,000 Golds and 78,000 Silver discretionary cards issued as part of ECCCA's or their overseas alternates - there was apparently once as many discretionary Golds are earnt Golds].

In addition BA have periodically given an allocation of discretionary Golds and Silver invites to major travel agents for allocation to their customers. These cards are issued on a once only basis and are never renewed. I don't know if this practice has been withdrawn.

Customer Service can also upgrade EC memebership levels, especially as part of the HLC procedure.

Search this Thread