How accurate is Galileo ??

Old Sep 23, 03, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
How accurate is Galileo ??

I was looking to check J/D availability from JFK to LHR on BA for next week on Galileo and was surpised how few seats there seemed to be availabe in J (or F) on the flights leaving between 1830 -2100. Being of an inquisitive disposition I picked some other random dates through October and found the same thing. Virtually no F seats available at all and not that many J (with almost no D).

Checking then on Fare Explorer it soon became apparent that had I wished I could have booked 6 seats in F or J on a range of flights shown on Galileo as 0 availability.

Does anyone know why this is ? Does BA reserve these seats for sale only through BA ??? Is Galileo not the fount of all knowledge that we had all thought ?
Old Sep 23, 03, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
No, if you're looking at that German site you're only seeing availability presented to the German market. Availability can vary by market; sometimes there may be more or less in any particular class available to the UK than to Germany or the US.

It's this quirk that sometimes allows you to get cheaper tix on aa.com than on ba.com, even though aa.com will price accurately in GBP. It's particularly irritating when the US market is consistently given access to more N and V class seats than the UK, and I need some here.
Old Sep 23, 03, 7:13 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
No, if you're looking at that German site you're only seeing availability presented to the German market. Availability can vary by market; sometimes there may be more or less in any particular class available to the UK than to Germany or the US.

It's this quirk that sometimes allows you to get cheaper tix on aa.com than on ba.com, even though aa.com will price accurately in GBP. It's particularly irritating when the US market is consistently given access to more N and V class seats than the UK, and I need some here.
</font>
I had always thought that Galileo was a global reservation system but I see what you are saying. Is there any way then to find out what is available to the UK market ?

Old Sep 23, 03, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that I know of. I'd be very glad if a UK agent set up a similar link.
Old Sep 23, 03, 11:06 am
Original Poster

By way of confirmation of what globaliser says, I note that the United Airlines booking tool via ITN shows 'proper' availability on the relevant flights, unlike Galileo..

It seems then that it is necessary to look at all available sources to make sense of the position. Are there any other sites ?
Old Sep 23, 03, 11:34 am

The German site only shows true availability for BA flights, when control of the flight is transfered to the airport (dispatch) - roughly 24 hours before departure.

Then it goes from understating the availability to over-stating it, as it shows the number of unsold seats, but does not recognise things which the airport have done such as upgrades; blocking off seats for any reason; allocating crew seats etc.

Understanding this is where the upgrade art comes in!

On a recent flight, I boarded, sat in a full F cabin, logged onto Gallileo and it still showed 5 seats available.
Old Sep 23, 03, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
By way of confirmation of what globaliser says, I note that the United Airlines booking tool via ITN shows 'proper' availability on the relevant flights, unlike Galileo..

It seems then that it is necessary to look at all available sources to make sense of the position. Are there any other sites ?
</font>
Depends what you mean by "proper", anyway. The only consistency I can see is that if you can see it on UA/ITN, you can book it on AA. But then there are times when you can book V or N in the UK but UA and AA will only give you L.

The only other site I know of was the Japanese etour tool, which has now been taken off (in its old form) by the travel agent. Pity.
Old Sep 23, 03, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The term is "married segments" and "controls" what is available from where. Therefore IST-LHR-LAX may show D0 for the LHR-LAX segment, while if you looked only at LHR-LAX, it may read D7.

Search this Thread