T1 to T4 - bus or Heathrow Express

Old Sep 13, 03, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
T1 to T4 - bus or Heathrow Express

My colleague and I are going from T1 to T4 next week - he swears getting the Heathrow Express is faster, better, etc - I have always just got the bus from the Transfer area at T1 as it seemed easier - anyone got anything to back my or his argument?
Old Sep 13, 03, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Airside? International to international? I'd say it's a no-brainer - take the airside transfer bus.

It's not generally appreciated that the Heathrow 'Express' does not actually go from T1 to T4. It goes from somewhere near approximately in the region of T1 to (likewise) T4, with long walks and numerous escalators to encounter.
Old Sep 13, 03, 1:25 pm

As much as I dislike Flight Connections and the bus ride, it is by far the better option of the two.
Old Sep 13, 03, 2:04 pm
hvd

Programs: AA EXP, LX travelclub
It depends on the hour. Recently had to do a T3 to T1 transfer at 8 a.m. Actually took the bus from T3 to T1 but after sitting on the bus at T1 waiting to disembark for something like 15-20 minutes and faced with a line that went down the escalators we ended up ducking the T1 transfer security headed straight out through passport control and customs and then came through the infinitely faster main check in security. Next time I plan to skip the bus altogether.
Old Sep 13, 03, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
hvd: that's fine if you're switching between T1, T2 and/or T3.

T4 is on the other side of the airport and is most definitely NOT walkable from T1/2/3 (at least, not for a same day connection ).
Old Sep 13, 03, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
It in indeed airside - come in from glasgow - to an international. I will persuade him the transit bus is the answer. Thnks
Old Sep 13, 03, 3:57 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I arrive at T1 at 10:35 am from EDI will I have enough time to make a 12:05 pm flight to LAX and also get my VAT stamp?
Old Sep 13, 03, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by littleleaguemom:
If I arrive at T1 at 10:35 am from EDI will I have enough time to make a 12:05 pm flight to LAX and also get my VAT stamp? </font>
I did this transfer in March this year. The 0905 shuttle was over 30 mins late out of EDI, leading to a bit of a knot in my stomach over the connection. Needn't have worried - BA had someone waiting half way up the jetway at LHR. Five of us were led down to a waiting BA minibus which whisked us across to T4, where boarding had just started

If the EDI-LHR flight is on schedule, absolutely no worries. If not, you'll still probably make it, but I don't know about the VAT thing.

Old Sep 13, 03, 8:50 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! This board is great! I'll try to get a VAT stamp at EDI although I believe it should be done at my last UK stop.
Old Sep 14, 03, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It in indeed airside - come in from glasgow - to an international. I will persuade him the transit bus is the answer. Thnks

Coming in from a domestic flight it is a no brainer even for connections to T1 or T3; go airside. There is no risk of a long queue for security since domestic arrivals do not have to undergo security screening, they just walk straight into the FCC bypassing security

Dave
Old Sep 14, 03, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Sometimes I've done the transfer in as little as 30 minutes (measured from the time I exit plane 1 to the time I get past security in the 2nd terminal). Sometimes it has taken me 90 minutes (delays with the bus, plus long security line-ups). There is no Fast Track to get through security in the 2nd terminal; however, I have seen a few people being permitted to jump the queue if their connecting flights were imminent.
Old Sep 15, 03, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
What about this Fri (19th) T1 arrival on last EDI flight(BA1465) to Hilton T4-Quickest?

Cheers

Alan
Old Sep 19, 03, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
We just made a transfer like that yesterday. We were on a Nice to London flight that left later than the 8:10 scheduled time and had to circle at least 40 minutes due to no slots [LHR planes late taking off due to fog] but since the flight is about one hour and 40 minutes we took the bus from T1 to T4 and had about an hour to shop before the "last call" came very early. This was due to having to be bussed to the plane and then using stairs. Took off about 25 minutes late for LAX.
Old Sep 22, 03, 3:08 pm

Can anyone confirm the following plan is the most sensible for arrival T4 from US carrying paper tickets for myself and 2 friends already in London for same day departure out of T1 (3 hours after scheduled arrival).

Arrive T4, Pass Immigration/Customs as if staying in London, get luggage, take Heathrow Express to T1.

At T1 meet friends, give them their paper tickets, recheck luggage, security, etc.. to T1 departure.

The bus and FCC information is a little confusing, I am wondering if once you are at T1 after taking the bus, you might not be able to get out to the check-in hall.

LHR-BCN is on separate itenarary from US ticket, so it is a bit more confusing.
Old Sep 22, 03, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zurbec:
LHR-BCN is on separate itenarary from US ticket, so it is a bit more confusing.</font>
I would try to send the tickets to your friends in advance (or have the tickets changed to electronic form). IF your inbound flight is delayed or you get held up in transit and you miss your flight to BCN, everyone is up the creek sans paddle. If they have the tickets and can go on, at least only you will be.

As for your proposed transfer from T4 to T1, it's as good as any. I am sure you can get out of the departure area at T1 by going through U.K. immigration but it may be a hassle in itself.

Search this Thread