BA staff 'stole bar snacks'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

BA staff 'stole bar snacks'

Full story here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3114924.stm
Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I remember being told by a BA pilot some 35 years ago that at that time there was no check made at all of the duty free items loaded or unloaded from aircraft. The majority of the proceeds of the sales of duty free goods were regarded as legitimate staff perks and went straight into their pockets.

It looks as though not all the loopholes have yet been closed. If a random search turns up this haul, how much must be going undetected ?? Why have management not found a way of controlling these sort of problems ?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Oy. It's stale news.

Any airline staff has been doing that to their own airline for years.

But it's always a known fact to not 'offload' anything when you're coming back to your home base.

Stupidity on the crews that do that.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:

But it's always a known fact to not 'offload' anything when you're coming back to your home base.
</font>
Interesting thing here is that they were caught by customs officials who presumeably were objected to the quantity they were bringing in "Tax Free".

This could presumeably happen at any airport !
Old Sep 17, 2003, 5:05 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
Let us hope trvlguru was not on that flight and was not denied a drink from the bar "because we have run out sir"!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 5:51 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well considering some redcaps at LHR got fired for eating left over sausages (which were going to be thrown out anyway), I don't fancy their chances. Besides, crew are allowed to buy the minatures for something silly like 75p each (though limit is six minatures). Guess that puts the $5 AA/CO/DL/US charge for a drink in the back of the bus in perspective.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 6:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
I remember being told by a BA pilot some 35 years ago that at that time there was no check made at all of the duty free items loaded or unloaded from aircraft. The majority of the proceeds of the sales of duty free goods were regarded as legitimate staff perks and went straight into their pockets.

It looks as though not all the loopholes have yet been closed. If a random search turns up this haul, how much must be going undetected ?? Why have management not found a way of controlling these sort of problems ?
</font>

35 years ago, this may have been true. Theft was actually Grand Larceny. Why do you think that BA stopped charging for drinks? Philanthropy? No, BA was losing a fortune on bar sales. I know for a fact that the First Class bar was given to be sold in Economy. Thus people paid for the drinks, and the money went straight into pockets. Unless they were actually caught doing it, it was ver very hard to prove. The stff came off the aircraft with quite a lot of money (£2-300 a week from short haul was not uncommon and worth a lot of money in those days). The money needed always to be the sort that crew would carry, but it could never be proved where the money came from.

One flight was actually picked up by security as there had been 8 pax in F (no Club in those days) and the amount of alchohol that they had "consummed" would in the words of the Co Doc have rendered the lot of them clinically dead. Same applied to headsets. How do you prove who paid for what.

Now that has gone. Totally. Duty Free sales are monitored ver very closely as the value of stock is very high. I know that we did have a problem at one stage at BCAL as we were always short and no one understood why. One day, we broke the 12th commandment and opened the duty free bar seal prior to departure as we were on a remote stand with a long slot delay. The stock tally did not match. We were short from the outset thanks to the commissaries (note they've gone as well).

This is a double thread as there is a similar one running above, but we tell the recruits in the training school that if they take so much as a bag of sugar, they can be fired.

I might tell you that the same applies to any food, drink, soap, toilet paper, anything. One girl over at BCAl was fired for taking a roast beef filet out of the First Class bin to take home for her dog.

What the US airlines charge for drinks is iniquitous. $5 is the same on domestic and international. I have been reading AA/UA and others, and am delighted to read that their clientele are deeply dissatisfied with the downgrading of the service aboard in all classes. They are doing us a great service.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Aren't the majority of inflight duty free purchases via credit card anyway, not cash? Beyond the odd bottle of drink or children's toy, I've never seen anyone pay cash for things off the cart. I always figured the main reason it was there was so homebound businesspeople who had no time to shop on the ground could buy their S.O.s a goodie... and most of those goodies cost more than the cash in my pocket.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 6:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Depends on where we are going to or from. Gulf is mostly cash and they spend a fortune. USA - cards. No one thieves from the Duty Free trolley as it is has to be reconciled with the Purser and that cow of a CSD. If ever we are a little harrassed it is that the **** Duty Free did not tally.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:26 pm
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
What are the rules about cabin crew giving away bottles to passengers to take away off the plane? I've heard of this happening in First and CW. Are there any guidelines on how much and to whom?
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes there is a guide that we use,there are different amounts allowed for each cabin.
A report is always made where we have to explain the reason and the value of any gift given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.