Purchasing ticket ex-Lisbon

Old Sep 19, 2003, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Purchasing ticket ex-Lisbon

Next weekend I'm flying to Lisbon for a weekend break (flights booked some weeks ago) and by coincidence I now need to fly to JFK straight after and therefore thought I'd take advantage of the great US NCW fares out of Lisbon.

I went to the BA site and made a reservation. As I don't have a Portuguese credit card (which you need to complete the booking online), I opted for the complete booking offline option. I now have 96 hours to pay for the flight.

Some questions:
- Will I be able to have BA hold my tickets at the airport until I arrive in Lisbon (in 8 days)?
- Will it be a problem to pay with a UK credit card?
- Will it be an issue that Im not taking the return flight Id previously booked (have to leave on an earlier flight).
- Are there any issues I should be aware off before I call to complete the booking?
- Are there any web sites (eg Opodo etc) that would make the whole process easier and issue me with an e-ticket?

Thanks for any advice
Old Sep 19, 2003, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Did this ex VIE a couple of weeks ago. All worked very smoothly.

There are two possible options: purchase in Uk or in LIS.

It is worth ringing up BA here and asking what the fare would be if ticketed here.

I held the seats as you did and when I rang BA here, the fare was the same. HOWEVER the rules were not precisely identical as a London stopover (available if ticketed in VIE) was not permitted if ticketed here. BA did not know why but thats what the system said (odd as the Expedia quote/rules for issue here did show stopovers in London possible - see below)

If you very carefully put the exact same flight segments into Expedia UK, it may come up with the correct fare so you can get it ticketed here by them (it probably wont do this if you just put in LIS-JFK-LIS). This is very useful to look at as it gives a very good guide to all the fare rules (not 100% accurate however - see above)

I had it ticketed in VIE as I needed the London stopover. No probs with paying in person with a UK CC (BA wanted to see some ID but you will obviously have your passport). The only oddity was that because I was including a stopover in London they could not issue as an eticket and had to issue as a paper ticket.

As you cannot get the flight ticketed abroad unless physically present in LIS with your CC, what you need to do is ring BA in Lisbon and ask them to extend your reservation 'option' on the seats until the day you are able to come over and pay. BA in VIE had no probs doing this for me as it was a Business class (D) booking. I picked my ticket up early on the day of the flight in town but you may need to tell them you want a ticket on departure.

I would not worry too much about the double booking. Only potential problem is if the BA computer picks up bookings for same name and/or EC no. on different flights for the same day, which could cause some problems although I am not sure if the system does pick this up and what they do about if it does.

[This message has been edited by Frequentflyer99 (edited 09-19-2003).]
Old Sep 19, 2003, 3:59 am

[Dup]

[This message has been edited by Frequentflyer99 (edited 09-19-2003).]
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:12 am
dnw

You can't get the ultra cheap ex-LIS fares anywhere except BA Portugal. Hold it online, then just phone the PT reservations number it gives you- they can charge your UK card and issue an e-ticket.

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited 09-19-2003).]
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Thanks for all your help - Made reservation online - called up with CC details and got an e-ticket issued. Amazingly low fare.

BA wins - as corporate policy is not to use BA for flights to/from the US - however them upstairs couldn't say no to a $2000 saving!
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marklondon101:
Thanks for all your help - Made reservation online - called up with CC details and got an e-ticket issued. Amazingly low fare.

BA wins - as corporate policy is not to use BA for flights to/from the US - however them upstairs couldn't say no to a $2000 saving!
</font>
They actually took your CC in LIS over the phone ?? I believe that is a first ...

Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:01 pm
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
They actually took your CC in LIS over the phone ?? I believe that is a first ...
</font>
A second at the least, they've been taking mine since April
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
... The only oddity was that because I was including a stopover in London they could not issue as an eticket and had to issue as a paper ticket ...

</font>
I've booked a couple of ex VIE fares (to LAX and JNB) with London stopovers using the VIE ticket counter and received e-tickets.

Expedia.co.uk sent me a paper ticket for a similar itinerary but without stopovers.

It seems the policy, if there is one, is flexible!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.