Concorde diverted to CWL

Old Sep 17, 03, 1:36 pm
NFH
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Concorde diverted to CWL

Sky News have just reported that BA002 has had to make an emergency landing at CWL this evening because of technical problems and that passengers have been bussed to LHR.
Old Sep 17, 03, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
What, no 747-400 to stop and pick them up?

Did this stuff happen all the time with Concorde and just miss the news radar screen?

I'm wondering if the heightened awareness of Concorde in her final days is why all these stories are hitting the news. Or, if it's just runs of bad luck and bad timing that happen to coincide.

[This message has been edited by AZ Travels the World (edited 09-17-2003).]
Old Sep 17, 03, 2:01 pm
NFH
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
More (but not a lot) on this at:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...104191,00.html

Sky were previously using the phrase "emergency landing", which they have now stopped saying.
Old Sep 17, 03, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I feel sorry for the tech guys working on Concorde. Undoubtedly the media are going to put responsibility on them or the ageing aircraft
Old Sep 17, 03, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Condolances to fellow Fter Alpha Golf, whose favourite aircraft had to make the diversion to Cardiff after and engine surge.
Old Sep 17, 03, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the Sky link:

The jet, carrying 99 passengers and six crew on a scheduled flight from New York's JFK airport, landed at Cardiff International Airport.

Passenger numbers have never recovered since an Air France Concorde crashed on take-off from Paris in July 2000, killing 113 people.

Umm... Yes they have... she was almost full...
Old Sep 17, 03, 4:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nfh:
Sky News have just reported that BA002 has had to make an emergency landing at CWL this evening because of technical problems and that passengers have been bussed to LHR.</font>
Somewhat fortuitous. Doesn't BA have a huge maintenance base at Cardiff (though probably not for Concorde)?
Old Sep 18, 03, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
We should think of these incidents less as diversions and more as a sort of extended worldwide farewell tour ...
Old Sep 18, 03, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Passenger numbers have never recovered since an Air France Concorde crashed on take-off from Paris in July 2000, killing 113 people.
</font>
Grrrr

I hate it when this keeps on coming up...
Old Sep 18, 03, 3:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
What, don't tell me you guys are doubting the accuracy of a Murdoch news source?!

:P
Old Sep 18, 03, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3118506.stm
Old Sep 18, 03, 4:13 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
This type of reporting really annoys me!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Engineers from a south Wales repair centre travelled to inpect the jet, but only specially-trained staff are allowed to work on the plane, so it spent the night on the runway.</font>
Spent the night on the runway??? Bollox! It spent the night at the airport. CWL management said normal operations were not disrupted therefore it was nowhere near the runway.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Despite apologies from the airline, many passengers were furious at the delay.

"We sat on the Tarmac for an hour before they opened a special runway for us".</font>
What the f*** i this guy talking about? "Special runway"?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Mr Crelly added: "There was no communication we suddenly just dropped. The air crew suddenly packed everything up and told us the captain was very busy but would speak to us shortly. Finally he came on the line to tell us what had happened."</font>
What did he expect? The Flight Deck are suddenly faced with a problem and under a high workload and Mr Crelly expects them to communicate immediatley. I would rather they addressed the problem, got the aircraft stable and in to a safe state.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The couple said they would be seeking compensation for the cost of their trip which they described as "the best part of £10,000".</font>
No doubt BA will compensate them for the problems on Concorde.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">New Yorker Patricia Ayearst said she was very angry at the way the passengers had been treated.

"It was pretty scary. There was a sound like we'd hit a brick wall."</font>
What did she want them to do. Try to reach LHR? I'm sure she would have been well pissed off if it had ran out of fuel somewhere over Berkshire!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"The flight was wonderful and the dinner was wonderful," she said. "They just had engine trouble and they did what they had to. They've done what was sufficient.</font>
At last, sanity!

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Sep 18, 03, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Gaza I think you sum up the feelings of most FT-ers regarding Concorde and the over enthusiastic press, exactly
Old Sep 18, 03, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
I'm sure she would have been well pissed off if it had ran out of fuel somewhere over Berkshire!
</font>
yeah, but fbgdavidson would have been thrilled at picking up the pieces!
Old Sep 18, 03, 9:06 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
Just a THOUGHT to throw into the mix....

Wouldn't it be quite handy for BA if Concorde had quite a few technical glitches towards the end of it's commercial life? Given that the public want to keep it flying, and BA don't appear to, it would certainly dent the public's enthusiasm if they felt it was ageing to the point of being unsafe...

Like I say, just a thought, but not beyond possibility.

(By the way - I don't doubt for one SECOND that this was a genuine aircraft problem, and I'm certain that no crew would ever intentionally divert a plane under bogus conditions - BEFORE people start getting upset at me! But it did pose a question in my mind when the 7th incident in 3 weeks is reported)

Search this Thread