Water, water everywhere but...

Old Sep 19, 03, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue forever!
Water, water everywhere but...

Yesterday, on the 11:50 LHR to LAX - Had the first round of drinks and I just requested a coke but forgot to ask for water. Lunch came with one of those tiny, sealed plastic cups of water. I heard something hit the floor and I later found out it was the water but I didn't realize that was what it was until many thirsty miles later. All day and no water offered. My husband, on the aisle, finally went to the galley and brought me a larger cupful. After one or two hours I finally crawled out of my window seat to see if the crew was sleeping as I hadn't seen anyone for that long. No, the guys were standing in front of trays of orange juice and water. They said that they were unable to fill a whole tray as the passengers kept coming in and taking them. Two years ago, on a hot August night flight, LAX to LHR, I remember the crew coming around all night with water. Is this part of the new trend?
Old Sep 19, 03, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What cabin was this?
Old Sep 19, 03, 8:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
There is always the water fountain in the front (and back?) of the Y cabin - fill your own water bottle whenever you want.
Old Sep 19, 03, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by og:
There is always the water fountain in the front (and back?) of the Y cabin - fill your own water bottle whenever you want.</font>
Which comes off the loo's potable water, thanks but no thanks... Nothing is more filthy than the fountain water. I'll take bottled only.
Old Sep 19, 03, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue forever!
It was Y class. I didn't know that planes still had "fountains" but I wouldn't want to use one either.
Old Sep 19, 03, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by daph:
It was Y class. I didn't know that planes still had "fountains" but I wouldn't want to use one either.</font>
From what I've seen when the FA's see a lot of passengers coming to the galley to get water or a juice they "assume" everyone knows they can just come and get it, so they stay in the back and don't bother carrying the drinks around...
Old Sep 19, 03, 11:39 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), AAirpass
Otherwise there's always the "CALL" button.
Old Sep 20, 03, 5:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Thank you 44C, I was wondering what this was all about as no one need be thirsty, and no one for the good of their health should be thirsty. Use the call button, that is what it is there for. If it is not answered, use it again - we don't always hear them the first time if the ovens are howling in the galleys and people are cluttering about with ice and gnereal noise of getting things out or stowed.

Scotty, the water is all distilled and is quite safe. I have to agree that the taste may not be brilliant (not used it in ages).

Please remember that this is BA NOT United, we are there for your comfort and your safety. Water is there for both.
Old Sep 20, 03, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I've been on some 777 flights where is has quite literally rained water on us!

Something to with the aircon system and landing in hot countries.
Old Sep 20, 03, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
I've been on some 777 flights where is has quite literally rained water on us!

Something to with the aircon system and landing in hot countries.
</font>
I had this on a BA DC-10 a while ago
Old Sep 20, 03, 12:30 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
I had this on a BA DC-10 a while ago</font>
A BA DC-10?
I can't remember BA every flying DC10s. I know BCAL did and BA had Tristars. I think the tristars.

[This message has been edited by CT-UK (edited 09-20-2003).]
Old Sep 20, 03, 1:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> A BA DC-10?
I can't remember BA every flying DC10s. I know BCAL did and BA had Tristars. I think the tristars.

</font>
There were certainly DC-10's flying in BA colours as recently as 1997 - I flew on one from LGW to GCM in Sept '97.

Although the plane was in BA colours and operating a BA flight number; with BA inflight product, I think it was one of the AML wet lease/franchise routes - i.e. the crew, catering, and possibly the aircraft, were all supplied by AML.
Old Sep 20, 03, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

From airliners.net, A BA DC10 at PHX in 1998;

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/002132/M/

Regards

TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 09-20-2003).]
Old Sep 20, 03, 2:17 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Oh yes, I also think I may have been on one now when BA did the LGW- Charlotte route.

Did they do a swap with BCAL after the merger as I have seen Caladonion tristars.
Old Sep 20, 03, 5:59 pm

Back in coach where we sit on either LAX-LHR or PHX-LHR we have always been offered water (or orange juice) almost constantly. We've had crew members going up and down the aisles with water all through the flt. and offering it before taking off as well. I always take a bottle of water anyway, but never felt like BA was rationing the stuff. If I did I'd go to the galley and get some. BA has a lot of faults but so far water rationing hasn't been one of them as far as I've noticed :-)

Search this Thread