Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to New Club World for knights in shining armor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2003, 8:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y

----------------------------------------------

Last edited by CharlesMD; May 21, 2004 at 4:50 am
Old Sep 14, 2003, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
For example, if Bill Clinton or Linus Pauling was booked in Y, would BA automatically upgrade them because of who they were and what they've achieved?</font>
Yes.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
For example, if Bill Clinton or Linus Pauling was booked in Y, would BA automatically upgrade them because of who they were and what they've achieved?</font>
I don't think that even a kilo of vitamin C would get Linus Pauling in shape for an upgrade.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
If I were a check-in agent at T4 and Linus Pauling showed up I'd put him in Y, as I wouldn't know who he was
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:00 pm

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
"You don't think we'd let one of HM knights fly coach??"
</font>
I think this was probably just a line from the check-in agent.

I agree though, they will u/g if there's a reason - whether related to fame or infamy. Remember Louise Woodward getting an upgrade to Club?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:31 pm
Original Member

I note that among the prefixes which BAEC allows you to have on file are "Sir" "Lord" and other honors. While your former boss might be understated, I wouldn't doubt at all that his EC file shows that he is "Sir John Doe." How else could the agent possibly have known that he was a knight?

Djlawman

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited 09-15-2003).]
Old Sep 15, 2003, 8:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
If I were a check-in agent at T4 and Linus Pauling showed up I'd put him in Y, as I wouldn't know who he was </font>
You could tell by the smell ... he's been dead for 9 years
Old Sep 15, 2003, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Djlawman:
I note that among the prefixes which BAEC allows you to have on file are "Sir" "Lord" and other honors. While your former boss might be understated, I wouldn't doubt at all that his EC file shows that he is "Sir John Doe." How else could the agent possibly have known that he was a knight?

Djlawman

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited 09-15-2003).]
</font>
If I am not mistaken the EC "titles" are purely marketing related, a "real" title in your PNR is done by hand or is in a different part of your EC profile. Maws???
Old Sep 15, 2003, 9:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
If I am not mistaken the EC "titles" are purely marketing related, a "real" title in your PNR is done by hand or is in a different part of your EC profile. Maws???</font>
The name that appears on the ticket is done manually but if it says "Lord" or "Lady" in the o-wave profile, you would just copy it from there. Just like when it says Dr. Billy-Bob, you give them the title of Dr. on their ticket.

[This message has been edited by BRITISH AIRWAYS USA (edited 09-15-2003).]
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whmere:
Remember Louise Woodward getting an upgrade to Club?</font>
whmere, don't you watch Airport on the BBC?

She went in First, at the end of the show it showed a copy of the front cover of the Daily Mail and it said she flew back in 'a Ł2800 BA First Class seat'.

Oh actually you're right, the Daily Mail, how could I make that mistake, she probably flew WT

Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't doubt that this happened, but I find the wording a bit odd. I can't imagine an English check-in agent using the words:

HM knights

and

coach

Perhaps this was not the exchange verbatim, but these just don't sound right.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1P
Aren't they supposed to be all rich? (HM Knights). So why he didn't pay for CW in the first place?
Being able to afford CW, buying Y and hoping for an upgrade seems a little risky to me.
This whole thing sounds "odd".
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:01 am

Just being rich/famous doesn't mean that people fly business/first class... some people just don't think it is a good use of money... (even if they have loads - being "careful" with their money may have helped them get rich in the first place...)

Have to agree that "coach" and "HM Knight" are not British ways of saying things, but is it possible that this gentleman was checkin in at a US airport and being checked-in by US ground crew?

Boo

Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:22 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boo Boo Too:
......but is it possible that this gentleman was checkin in at a US airport and being checked-in by US ground crew?

Boo

</font>
I guess as he was in DC for lunch and flew BA that he must have come from the UK

Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus

For example, if Bill Clinton or Linus Pauling was booked in Y, would BA automatically upgrade them because of who they were and what they've achieved?
</font>
Assuming the MD in your nick has something to do with medicine, and doesn't mean Managing Director, I have to say I'm rather shocked that you might expect Linus Pauling to be checking in for a BA flight anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.