Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way tickets to the US - any problems?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
One way tickets to the US - any problems?

I've got two one way tickets for a forthcoming trip to the US. Out on BA, back on KLM. I'll be traelling on a UK passport and using the visa waiver scheme.

Am I likely to have any problems here, either when checking in at London, or on arrival in the US (JFK)?

I haven't approached BA about "linking" the two bookings - should I do this?

Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2003, 8:24 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I have done stuff like this many times and had no problems.

You will be fine.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When the scan your passport for pre-entry approval they will enter your return ticket information. They WILL need to see the ticket at checkin and it's ALWAYS wise to have your return ticket ready at the immigration desk just in case they want to see it. Other than that no problem at all.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CT-UK & ScottC - thanks for the info
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:48 am
phb

I suspect that leaving the US you can anticipate being singled out for attention from the security screening process.

I believe that a one way ticket is one of the risk factors that they are looking for. On my recent triangular trips (appear as one ways) I've a 100% record of maximum security hassle (which isn't that bad but cuts in to the lounge time by 5 or 10 minutes).
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phb:
I suspect that leaving the US you can anticipate being singled out for attention from the security screening process.

I believe that a one way ticket is one of the risk factors that they are looking for. On my recent triangular trips (appear as one ways) I've a 100% record of maximum security hassle (which isn't that bad but cuts in to the lounge time by 5 or 10 minutes).
</font>
That is true... One-ways are one of the factors that determine whether you get the dreaded SSSS on your boarding pass...
Old Sep 16, 2003, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL&CCR, LH HON, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phb:

</font>

Who would want to stay there anyhow?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So if they need to see our return tickets, I assume we will have to check in at a counter, rather than using OLCI?

If so, what are the queues (for NCW) like in T4 around 4pm on a Friday?

Thanks

edited so it makes sense

[This message has been edited by Swiss Tony (edited 09-19-2003).]
Old Sep 19, 2003, 3:16 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swiss Tony:
So if they need to see our return tickets, I assume we will have to check in at a counter, rather than using OLCI?

If so, what are the queues (for NCW) like in T4 around 4pm on a Friday?
</font>
You can still use OLCI, Self-serive machine and Fast Bag drop. When you board, the Gate computer may ask the agent to check your return ticket. There is the possibility that the Self-Service machine may not allow you to check-in and ask you to go to a desk. I've never used the machine at T4 but I know that at T1 and EDI there is an agent nearby who can deal with any issues.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Sep 19, 2003, 6:26 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
The self service machine is inches away from ncw desks and fast bag drop in T4.

So why the two one ways ? Doing a mileage run you dont want to confess to ?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GK:
The self service machine is inches away from ncw desks and fast bag drop in T4.

So why the two one ways ? Doing a mileage run you dont want to confess to ?
</font>
Nothing so covert! Just burning some hard earned miles with Mrs Swiss, but didn't have enough in one scheme for two r/ts in business class....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.