New First lounge at LGW

Old Sep 15, 03, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

New First lounge at LGW

Passing through the old lounge on Friday, I picked up a letter about the move. When I find the letter, I'll post it but the gist of it was:

* Move to the 4th floor - giving direct access to showers
* The usual array of other facilities will be available.
* New facility open on the 22nd September

The warden on the front desk commented that it will be 'nice and new'. No more infomation than that.

I think it's a positive statement about LGW that BA are investing in some sort of new facility (even if it has shrunk). And bacon baguettes will still be available! The pity is that it will take over part of the space occupied by current Terraces lounge, which when I was a scummy Silver was one of my favourites.

Assuming the whole floor (with the defunct Executive Club lounge) is handed back to BAA it should save BA some cash.

[This message has been edited by Swanhunter (edited 09-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Swanhunter (edited 09-15-2003).]
Old Sep 15, 03, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
No before time. The F lounge at LGW is showing its age, though I always find the service very good. Look forward to trying the new one, though who knows when as the range of destinations shrinks further - no BRU service any longer.
Old Sep 15, 03, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
For us poor Silvers who travel in J, this sounds like rather bad news ....
Old Sep 15, 03, 9:33 am

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
I assume BA are giving up the ground floor at Gatwick. The Gatwick lounges were put in place when BA was developing LGW as a serious second hub alongside Heathrow. With the demise of that strategy, and much more limited services from LGW, the BA lounges have been (in my experience) rather underpopulated - indeed, often rather empty. Can't blame BA for this move - hope the new First lounge is nice!
Old Sep 16, 03, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL&CCR, LH HON, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by J-Class:
I assume BA are giving up the ground floor at Gatwick. The Gatwick lounges were put in place when BA was developing LGW as a serious second hub alongside Heathrow. With the demise of that strategy, and much more limited services from LGW, the BA lounges have been (in my experience) rather underpopulated - indeed, often rather empty. Can't blame BA for this move - hope the new First lounge is nice!</font>

Very much preferable to LHR T1 lounge, though! Yesterday afternoon it was (again) filled to capacity with an ambiente resembling a football stadium!
Old Sep 18, 03, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Is this the one in the basement? If so, I'm happy to see it move. One reason I have never used it (AA EXP) is that there are no windows.

lala
Old Sep 18, 03, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It is the one in the basement - but it does have windows with an exciting view of other parts of the terminal building.

Search this Thread