OLCI - general guide

Old Sep 7, 2003, 5:22 pm

Back to exit rows - in my experience, it seems that half of the time you can get your exit row 24hrs before flight on OLCI, and the other half of the time they remain blocked until physical airport check in.
I then ask at the desk for an exit row, and often I am assured that there are other passengers in the exit rows. More often than not, when I go to the lounge and ask the same question, they will make the call and open up the exit seat that has been previously "booked".
My only advice is to keep on asking!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I phoned up the EC this afternoon and asked for Upper Deck seating for my J award ticket in December, they could offer me no window seat on the Upper Deck despite 5 window seats showing as available on www.seatmap.com. In the end I did ask for 60J both ways but....

There has been suggestion that most of the Upper Deck is held back for Gold/Prems. Will these held back seats become available on OLCI when it comes?

Thanks
Fraser
Old Sep 16, 2003, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
I phoned up the EC this afternoon and asked for Upper Deck seating for my J award ticket in December, they could offer me no window seat on the Upper Deck despite 5 window seats showing as available on www.seatmap.com. In the end I did ask for 60J both ways but....

There has been suggestion that most of the Upper Deck is held back for Gold/Prems. Will these held back seats become available on OLCI when it comes?

Thanks
Fraser
</font>
Probably 24 hours before departure. So, if the seat you want still shows up empty make sure you are on time to do an OLCI. However, the window might be 12 hours in your case...
Old Sep 16, 2003, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Probably 24 hours before departure. So, if the seat you want still shows up empty make sure you are on time to do an OLCI. However, the window might be 12 hours in your case...</font>
It is 24hours in my case luckily so I'll be sure to be there to do that....and then the Golds put my in row 59
Old Sep 16, 2003, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
24 hours before my flight. I am trying OLCI.

"This flight is not yet open for check in. Please try later ensuring you are do not miss the check-in cut off time."

Anyone seen this before?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Loyal:
24 hours before my flight. I am trying OLCI.

"This flight is not yet open for check in. Please try later ensuring you are do not miss the check-in cut off time."

Anyone seen this before?
</font>
BA Loyal you jumped the gun!

OLCI opens 23hrs 59mins and 59secs before departure, try again

I am being serious about the 23/59/59 bit!

Old Sep 16, 2003, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I know about 23/59/59 - I've been trying for the past hour and still the same message.
BA142 DEL/LHR.
Do you think Delhi is slightly backward with OLCI?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:04 pm
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Loyal:

Anyone seen this before?
</font>
Lots of times... it means that the local station hasn't finished doing its thing yet (loads, cargo, pre-assignments etc). It will eventually open, but there is no way to tell when- you just have to keep trying. Bit of a pain if you're after a better seat .

It does seem to happen with consistency on certain routes- each and every return I've done from Sao Paulo for example. Perhaps some stations are a bit lazier than others ... or maybe theres a more legit reason!

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited 09-16-2003).]
Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

People say the OLCI is useless and never works, for the 5 sectors I have used OLCI I have never had even the slightest hint of a problem.

OK, that was the kiss of death
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
People say the OLCI is useless and never works, for the 5 sectors I have used OLCI I have never had even the slightest hint of a problem.

OK, that was the kiss of death
</font>

A happy customer!!!

I must have used it at least 10 times since leaving BA, had my pnr changed due to flight changes etc...always worked fine for me. Used it on dial up and broadband, always pretty quick...

But hey, perhaps we are the lucky two
Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
[b]
OLCI opens 23hrs 59mins and 59secs before departure, try again

I am being serious about the 23/59/59 bit!

</font>

[This message has been edited by fraisse10 (edited 09-18-2003).]
Old Sep 18, 2003, 6:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by speedbird2018:

But hey, perhaps we are the lucky two
</font>
...or three. I have used OLCI three times in the last week and it has been excellent. It has taken around 2/3 mins. each time. I am only a blue and have snagged the exit row every time. Another happy customer.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 6:23 am

Have never used it, to my cost it would appear. Looking 4wd to OLCI'ing for flights next week and the week after though...just a pity you can't check in &gt;24hrs beforehand!
Old Sep 18, 2003, 7:55 am

Programs: BA GGL&CCR, LH HON, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
OLCI - quite a sh*t feature, isnīt it? For me a failure rate of 35% sounds desirable, as I am sure I have more than 50%!

Whenever my TA changes a fully flexible ticket issued by them, I cannot use OLCI unless I went to the BA counter before and have the sticker on the ticket. Horrible! What is the point of having fully flexible tickets if they are not online changable and still need endorsement from the nearest BA office which can be quite far. As a remedy I have had success in calling the EC and gave them the ticket number, where they have released the booking to OLCI, sometimes, but not always.

Even worse, when using a ticket from a different airline. I had a confirmed reservation for BA in C with a LH issued ticket. Although I had the ticket properly endorsed to BA by LH, I couldnīt do anything with it on the web.

If security is the problem, why donīt they insist on seeing the ticket when they print the boarding pass for you at the airport? After all you still have contact with machine or personnel, as the OLCI printout is - as stated above - good for nothing. I canīt see why pax should not confirm they are travelling and pick their seats - after all thatīs all you can do on OLCI - and have all outstanding issues addressed at the airport.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA blue
Can you use OLCI if you have a connection or due you have to wait for 24 hours before your final segment to do OLCI. I have a connection in LHR so can I OLCI for my first flight to LHR at 24 hours before?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.