BA Lounge web access - property sites blocked?

Old Sep 15, 03, 11:06 am
GK
Original Poster

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
BA Lounge web access - property sites blocked?

Can anyone come up with a reason why web access in BA lounges (at least LHT T1 Int, Dom and MAN)block access to property/real estate web sites - yet one can surf Virgin sites freely ?
Old Sep 15, 03, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because as was made clear in the past, BA's website filter settings are useless...
Old Sep 15, 03, 2:42 pm
NFH

Programs: BA blue, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Try unplugging the network cable from the back of BA's PC and plugging it into your own laptop. You should get an IP address via DHCP and a BT ADSL connection without any restrictions. I've a feeling that the blocking is in BA's PC, not in their network or firewall.
Old Sep 15, 03, 3:12 pm

what a great idea!

do you know if you can get corporate VPN this way?

(would save a fortune on BT 'OpenWorld' or whatever they call it......)
Old Sep 15, 03, 4:29 pm
dnw

Great idea and I can't believe I've not thought of it before, thanks!!

Although it is a little concerning that they dont lock down DHCP to the MAC addresses of the machines they have, I mean its not like they have that many...
Old Sep 15, 03, 7:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
Although it is a little concerning that they dont lock down DHCP to the MAC addresses of the machines they have, I mean its not like they have that many... </font>
No kidding! BA's offering of connectivity is an absolute insult, expecially those ugly credit-card phones they have throughout the lounges.

Old Sep 15, 03, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnAx:
Originally posted by dnw:
Although it is a little concerning that they dont lock down DHCP to the MAC addresses of the machines they have, I mean its not like they have that many... </font>
No kidding! BA's offering of connectivity is an absolute insult, expecially those ugly credit-card phones they have throughout the lounges.

Those are PHONES? I always thought they were portapotties... They certainly are large enough...
Old Sep 15, 03, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, who's going to plug a wireless access point into the back of one of those machines next time? We'll make the password: BLUECARD out of respect for fbgdavidson
Old Sep 16, 03, 3:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
OK, who's going to plug a wireless access point into the back of one of those machines next time? We'll make the password: BLUECARD out of respect for fbgdavidson </font>
I wonder how long it would stay? Using one of those cheap AP's with several ports, the local computer could remain alive.

Search this Thread