Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANOTHER REASON TO DUMP BAOC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:18 am
Original Poster

ANOTHER REASON TO DUMP BAOC

I just got off the phone with a travel agent I have used for over ten years.
She has proven to be courteous,reliable and above all else professional in her approach.
The bad news is that along with the new Executive Club rules (higher mileage requirements,fares,and capacity controls D to U) it is no longer possible for an agent to issue the underlying coach ticket when a frequent flier award is being used to upgrade. All such tickets must be purchased directly from BA or, no upgrade! This not only places a new burden on the frequent flyer but it furthers the dismantling of the
travel agency industry, one that assists frequent fliers more than we realize.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:25 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
I noticed that as well,but,assumed, that BA didn't really mean that, but obviously they do.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dismanteling the TA industry has been going on for years, BA isn't the first and absolutely not the last to do so. All the airlines have been doing anyting they can to get rid of them...
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Dismanteling the TA industry has been going on for years, BA isn't the first and absolutely not the last to do so. All the airlines have been doing anyting they can to get rid of them...</font>
I totally agree. Additionally, some of the competitors (read low cost airlines) that are putting the biggest squeeze on the traditional airlines don't use travel agents.

Maybe it is time the TA industry reinvented itself instead of riding off others in the vertical structure ie airlines and customers.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, the tier point upgrades CAN be booked through a TA...
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just to give me input to the debate, yes I appreciate it might mean some folks are penalised in not being able to access discounted tickets, but i'd feel a lot happier buying the ticket and getting the upgrade confirmed at the same time. This is better (IMO) than having to enter the lottery that the likes of KLM run, whereby you buy the ticket first, then try to get the upgrade later... availability shifting all the time.

From a UK point of view, i'm just pleased I can now use points to upgrade.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:57 am

I agree whole heartedly with Swiss Tony.

I think the upgrade from WT+ to NCW deal is great even though the inventory is from U rather than D/I as hoped.

Will almost definitely be buying 200 BA shares to get the 10% discount before November, which should bring BA direct fares closer to consolidators. The shares after all will pay for themselves given it will be the LHR-Syd route we will be upgrading and for a net cost of only 25,000 miles a piece. Great deal
Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:19 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jacqui:
Will almost definitely be buying 200 BA shares to get the 10% discount before November...</font>
Please have a look at www.bashareholders.com ... it says "Shareholders, who held 200 ordinary shares or more on 5 November 2002, are eligible.."

Now it's too late for this...
Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't BOAC stop flying back in the 70's?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:34 am

As far as I am aware, it is only too late to get a discount this year. There is no mention on the site that the offer is closed to new shareholders.

Extract from Info Sheet:

Flight and Holiday Discounts

Shareholders in British Airways can also apply for discounts on the airline's flights and package holidays. This scheme
is now in its twelve year and shareholders can receive a 10% discount if you book and travel with British Airways.

Eligibility is restricted to private individual shareholders owning a minimum of 200 ordinary shares in British Airways
Plc who are on the register on the record date each year; in 2002 this is 5 November.

[This message has been edited by Jacqui (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jacqui:
As far as I am aware, it is only too late to get a discount this year. There is no mention on the site that the offer is closed to new shareholders.

&lt;snip&gt;
</font>
Cool, I did not saw that... I say its time to buy some stocks.

Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:46 pm

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
Re: u/g: old NAEC rules stated that there had to be award availabilty in both "u/g from" class and "u/g to" class. Example: if you want to do LHR-SYD in F by u/g from J, there needs to be BOTH J and F award space available (not just F space, as I originally thought).

Not sure if new rules are the same.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 1:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skykingva:
I just got off the phone with a travel agent I have used for over ten years.
She has proven to be courteous,reliable and above all else professional in her approach.
The bad news is that along with the new Executive Club rules (higher mileage requirements,fares,and capacity controls D to U) it is no longer possible for an agent to issue the underlying coach ticket when a frequent flier award is being used to upgrade. All such tickets must be purchased directly from BA or, no upgrade! This not only places a new burden on the frequent flyer but it furthers the dismantling of the
travel agency industry, one that assists frequent fliers more than we realize.
</font>
I personally do not see it much of a burden. If having to book a published fare anyway then I see no benefit of using an agent to do so. I would only tend to use agents if buying unpublished fares

Dave
Old Jul 3, 2003, 4:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
I personally do not see it much of a burden. If having to book a published fare anyway then I see no benefit of using an agent to do so. I would only tend to use agents if buying unpublished fares

Dave
</font>
The problem is, that the BA website still has the "WT+"-Bug - if you choose "Premier Lowest" (which means booking class T) you still get the flexible high-price class (W). At least this is what I get when I try to book ex Germany to USA. At a TA I can get the T class tickets.

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited 07-03-2003).]
Old Jul 3, 2003, 5:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"The problem is, that the BA website still has the "WT+"-Bug - if you choose "Premier Lowest" (which means booking class T) you still get the flexible high-price class (W). At least this is what I get when I try to book ex Germany to USA. At a TA I can get the T class tickets."

Ahhh... I would use the old fangled telephonic device rather than the BA website

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.