The Future of AA miles for Concorde

Old Mar 11, 03, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
The Future of AA miles for Concorde

This is my first post on the BA forum. I have, however, been following the latest debates on the Exec Club changes and the recent discussions on the future of Concorde.

I'm a PLAT on AA and it's my goal to take BA's Concorde. I would have liked to fly Concorde next summer (2004), but I'm now beginning to doubt whether it'll still be around then. If not next summer, I would proably have to fly it in December (2003).

I currently have about 130,000 miles, and will likely have 200,000 by the end of the year. I'm also aware of the likely possibilty of exchanging my AA miles to BA at a rate of 1:1 through the annual Diners Club promotion over the summer.

Here are my questions:

i. I'm aware that on July 1 the Concorde reward will increase to 200,000 miles. What is the award rate currently?

ii. Assuming I can transfer my AA miles to BA prior to July 1, can I redeem the Concorde reward at the old rate for a flight date after July 1? If so, how far into the future can I book at the old reward rate?

iii. I realize that Concorde service is not on the same level as BA First. I think I only need to experience Concorde once, and accordingly I would also like to try BA First. Would I be allowed to fly BA First one-way (probably eastbound) and Concorde on the return (westbound) using the Concorde reward?

Thanks,
FlyerBeek
Old Mar 12, 03, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
i. 160,000 BA Miles round trip.

ii. To fly at this mileage, you will need to reserve before the changes. You can book up to almost a year ahead (330 days?).

iii. Yes, for 140,000 BA Miles for redemption by June 30, then for 175,000 BA Miles.
Old Mar 12, 03, 1:18 am

If you do not have the full amount of miles by June 30th, why not book a concorde ticket one way, and book the return ticket later. That Way you will at least get Concorde one way for 80k Miles Rater that 100k after June 1st.

Old Mar 12, 03, 2:07 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
If you can find availability, you should be able to book BGI - LHR on the Concorde directly with your AA miles ... now that transatlantic redemption is permitted on BA for flight originating other than in the US.
Old Mar 12, 03, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
For redemptions before July 1, the redemption levels in the US are lower for Concorde.

It is 125K miles for a Concorde round-trip. I believe it is also 125K for Concorde one-way and First one-way. (I haven't seen that clearly spelled out in the handbook, but it seems that I have seen others out here who have redeemed this.)
Old Mar 12, 03, 7:53 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
skippy it depends where you are. In the US club is is 125k return, 62.5k one way. In the UK program its more. I get the impression Flyerbeek is in the US.

ozzie the AA exclusion is for transatlantic flights, not just ex-US ones, so BGI is one of the no-no routes, as are EZE, GRU etc etc. I guess the rationale is you could 'cheat' by stopping over or codesharing to other destinations. ie in Tijuana (San Diego) or in Canada...
Old Mar 12, 03, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Thanks so much for the replies, exactly the information I was looking for!

Is there a website I can visit to see the current Exec Club rates/information? It seems the only information I can find on BA (without being an Exec Club member) is information on the changes?

Also, would a Concorde and/or First reward include connecting travel in the US (on AA) and/or connecting travel in Europe?

Thanks so much,
FlyerBeek

FlyerBeek
Old Mar 12, 03, 8:05 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whmere:

ozzie the AA exclusion is for transatlantic flights, not just ex-US ones, so BGI is one of the no-no routes, as are EZE, GRU etc etc. I guess the rationale is you could 'cheat' by stopping over or codesharing to other destinations. ie in Tijuana (San Diego) or in Canada...
</font>
This is changing soon (see the discussion on the AA board http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../014944-3.html) to allow transatlantic redemptions on all flights not originating or terminating in the US.

Program Updates From British Airways

Earning and Using Miles

Effective July 1, 2003, AAdvantage members may earn and redeem miles on British Airways transatlantic flights to/from Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean. Transatlantic flights to/from the U.S. are not eligible for mileage accrual or redemption.

[This message has been edited by ozzie (edited 03-12-2003).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: