Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for RAF officers flying BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Upgrades for RAF officers flying BA

In the last week I was issued with a photocard ID for being an officer in the RAF. When they were handed out one of the other guys mentioned off hand that if you flash your ID at check-in they will upgrade you.

I am aware that the view among many FT members is that unless you (or your business) paid for a premium cabin you shouldnt be there, however I could save myself a load if money myself if I knew I didnt always have to pay for Club World / Club Europe. I am also BA Exec member with a few Concorde miles behind me if that helps.

I am prepared for a grilling from you guys out there as I know the 'U' word is seen as heresy!

Old Feb 17, 2003, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never heard of this "perk" and doubt there is any truth to it. Op's happen all the time but there are no rules to them. Mileage accumulation, concorde based or not is of no importance to BA. As for the grilling, I'll leave that behind, there simply are no tricks to sit in a premium cabin besides paying for it.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Winter housecleaning!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Jan 23, 2005 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:53 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Can you book your flights through the military ? I don't know what the BA policy is, but my uncle is a high-ranking officer in the Australian army, and is always upgraded when flying QF provided the booking is made via the military (which is premissible in Australia, though not sure of the procedure here).

Have you though about putting your rank in front of your name on the booking ? That would be much better than flashing an ID, I would expect....
Old Feb 18, 2003, 3:26 am

Never heard of that.

Old Feb 18, 2003, 3:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
In the last week I was issued with a photocard ID for being an officer in the RAF. </font>
Congrats, I guess this means you are in your first week of basic training as this is when you get your first photo id.

Old Feb 18, 2003, 3:37 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Is this the same as cops recieving free or 1/2 price meals at fast food chains. I know that these sort of "perks" are now frowned uppon by corruption watchdogs and rightly so in my opinion.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 3:46 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CTEASDEL:
Congrats, I guess this means you are in your first week of basic training as this is when you get your first photo id.

</font>
Yes - I certainly don't think this is a perk my uncle has received since his first entry into the army as a Captain :-) He's a much, much higher rank than that now !

Old Feb 18, 2003, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Thanks for all your feedback.

The whole upgrade was something I just heard from somebody else of equal status to me.

I may well follow ozzies advice and book through the military as I get a 15% dicount anyway.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoldFlyer:
Is this the same as cops recieving free or 1/2 price meals at fast food chains. I know that these sort of "perks" are now frowned uppon by corruption watchdogs and rightly so in my opinion. </font>
I've never heard a shopkeeper or restaurant owner in a Western country who was unhappy to have the police come around to buy a pack of cigarettes or a hamburger. Good for them if they give the boys in blue a discount.

As for military, when I was in the U.S. Army we had rules which forbade low-ranking officers and enlisted men from accepting upgrades when traveling in uniform. This was a dozen years ago so it may have changed now.

Military personnel are treated by many with so little respect nowadays, I'd like to see them get treated well, including being upgraded to business. They are ready to potentially sacrafice everything so we can maintain our pampered, spoiled existences, so it's the least we can do.

------------------
-Otto

[This message has been edited by OttoGraham (edited 02-18-2003).]
Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OttoGraham:

I'd like to see them get treated well, including being upgraded to business. They are ready to potentially everything so we can maintain our pampered,
</font>
RUBISH If you want Business or First PAY FOR IT These guys made a choice. They choose to join up and get paidfor the job they do. They are not forced into it.
We pay for them out of our taxes so why should they get upgraded over us?

(And this rant is coming from an ex RAF man)

[This message has been edited by CTEASDEL (edited 02-18-2003).]

Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
You prove exactly my point about how our military personnel are nowadays treated with scant little respect.

------------------
-Otto
Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OttoGraham:
Military personnel are treated by many with so little respect nowadays, I'd like to see them get treated well, including being upgraded to business. They are ready to potentially sacrafice everything so we can maintain our pampered, spoiled existences, so it's the least we can do.

</font>
I'm with CTEASDEL here, what total and utter bollocks...

Anyone willing to be in the army shouldn't have too many problems with sitting in a coach seat...

Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You prove exactly my point about how our military personnel are nowadays treated with scant little respect.

</font>
Respect has nothing to do with the class one sits. One gets respect in every class on the plane.

Old Feb 18, 2003, 1:57 pm

</font>

Hello!

Why should we respect them more than anybody else how make a choice to do a job and gets paid for it? I am not disrespecting anybody but just saying you get what you have paid for.
Should a dustman get an upgrade because he takes away our rubbish and is in danger of catching a disease? Should a Fireman get an upgrade because he saves lives? NO

Again I state that I also spent years in the RAF and did not go around saying look at me I am defending you give me XYZ I go asked and got what I paid for.... no more and no less. It was my choice to join up and nobosy elses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.