Lounge Access

Old May 5, 02, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"Off topic- just wondering if there's any particular reason for your animosity toward AA? From reading these boards, it seems that Oneworld consists of BA/CX/QF/AA. If that were the case, I would see the argument for AA being the one to go because of the state of the US domestic airline market."

I dislike AA because of their poor quality of seating and service ably assisted by upgrading people left right n centre just because there is a y in the day. Their redeeming feature is that for 3rd world air travel ( ie the US ), they have more legroom than the others in economy. Also their lounges are ,ime, at the bottom end of the quality levels.

Dave
Old May 5, 02, 12:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
"Off topic- just wondering if there's any particular reason for your animosity toward AA? From reading these boards, it seems that Oneworld consists of BA/CX/QF/AA. If that were the case, I would see the argument for AA being the one to go because of the state of the US domestic airline market."

I dislike AA because of their poor quality of seating and service ably assisted by upgrading people left right n centre just because there is a y in the day. Their redeeming feature is that for 3rd world air travel ( ie the US ), they have more legroom than the others in economy. Also their lounges are ,ime, at the bottom end of the quality levels.
</font>
Awwww, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Dave
Old May 5, 02, 6:53 pm

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
I have never had a problem entering AA's Admiral's Club with a BA EC Gold card, (without a plummy English accent) while travelling US domestic. In fact, where they exist, the card will get you into the Flagship Lounge, the First class section, which offers hot food, cakes and Perrier Jouet champers. Did this in DFW last week with no problems.

Cheers.
Old May 5, 02, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Edited

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 05-05-2002).]
Old May 5, 02, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Edited because I thought better regarding what I really wanted to say.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 05-05-2002).]
Old May 6, 02, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA LTG GGL, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT
I haven't had a problem when traveling domestically on AA using my BA card to gain access to the Admirals Club. Where available, I also use their Flagship lounge even for a domestic flight. It is open to all 1W Emeralds (except AA EXP on domestic).
Old May 7, 02, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
In a slight twist to the topic, and to defend AA for a bit, I've had 2 instances where at LHR T4 I was given access to the wrong lounge by BA.

The first time was about 6 months ago when I used the Pavillion Lounge with a recently upgrade AA EXP/OW Emerald card. The lady looked at the list with colour pictures on it of the card and sent me upstairs. I didn't realise until I got in that that was the business lounge and not the first that as a OW Emerald member I could use. A one off maybe?

Friday I had the opportunity to use it again and the same thing happened. This time, being older and wiser, I said in a polite tone, that it is an Emerald card and I believe I'm able to use the First lounge. "Oh yes you're right!" she replied! Two mistakes, or a conspiracy by BA??!!

The test will be my next trip in 3 weeks time.....

[This message has been edited by dddc (edited 05-07-2002).]
Old May 7, 02, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dddc:
In a slight twist to the topic, and to defend AA for a bit, I've had 2 instances where at LHR T4 I was given access to the wrong lounge by BA.

The first time was about 6 months ago when I used the Pavillion Lounge with a recently upgrade AA EXP/OW Emerald card. The lady looked at the list with colour pictures on it of the card and sent me upstairs. I didn't realise until I got in that that was the business lounge and not the first that as a OW Emerald member I could use. A one off maybe?

Friday I had the opportunity to use it again and the same thing happened. This time, being older and wiser, I said in a polite tone, that it is an Emerald card and I believe I'm able to use the First lounge. "Oh yes you're right!" she replied! Two mistakes, or a conspiracy by BA??!!

The test will be my next trip in 3 weeks time.....

[This message has been edited by dddc (edited 05-07-2002).]
</font>
At least they gave you access and didnt stand there stating that you were not allowed treating you as if you are trying to trespass into the lounge like I have had with AA.

When I went to the AA lounge at BOS and showed my QF Platinum card , I had the same experience as you wirth BA. It was only after I pointed out it was Emerald that she them showed me through to the Flagship Lounge.

It does seem conspiritorial doesnt it. They are very able at stopping people with red blobs on their card but are incapable of telling between the blue and green blobs

Dave
Old May 7, 02, 11:06 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
At least they gave you access and didnt stand there stating that you were not allowed treating you as if you are trying to trespass into the lounge like I have had with AA.

When I went to the AA lounge at BOS and showed my QF Platinum card , I had the same experience as you wirth BA. It was only after I pointed out it was Emerald that she them showed me through to the Flagship Lounge.

It does seem conspiritorial doesnt it. They are very able at stopping people with red blobs on their card but are incapable of telling between the blue and green blobs

Dave
</font>
I may have got in the lounge, but at Amsterdam last night they wouldn't let me in the Business Class checking queue. The line guard (I fancied using the term "door whore" here, like they do in nightclubs as there are a lot of similarities, but thought better of it) insisted I go to the Y desk and when I told her that as Emerald I could use the queue she wouldn't have any of it. There was only one other person in the queue there, but if you know BA's check in area at Schipol, its about 20 meters from the J desks. No hardship, but another case of where staff don't know the rules. If the queue was longer I would of insisted. But, yes Dave I know that feeling you describe.

Qantas seem to know the rules better than the other. They gave me access to their 1st class lounge even though my EXP/Emerald card hadn't arrived, but was logged in the system an on my boarding card. They've given me exit row seats and blocked off ones next to me all with out me asking. They must keep track of One World members because when I recently added a domestic QF flight to my BA flight and gave my AA FF number, the girl on the phone exclaimed "Gosh, you fly alot!".

PS The lounge at Schipol could do with a lick of paint. It's looking a bit tired.
Old May 8, 02, 6:43 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Time for me to chime in.

Merry (wrong for a change!) is quoting a rule that is honoured in the breach rather than the observance.

Having travelled around on AA this December, HI got us into those sad dreary bars that they call lounges at American Airlines. I was suprised that they really had not got a clue about who was supposed to be allowed in and who wasn't.

It also peeved me that BA's lounges provide drinks and snacks (Been there, Had that). American actually charge passengers to be served by a sour faced barman who expects to be tipped. Even the soft drinks were chargeable. We were given vouchers as that is part of the deal with Noneworld (Does anyone actually give a monkey's about the stupid PA I have to give welcoming one world partner airline people aboard? - they could care less, they're only with us to get miles).

No flights were announced, and all in all I wondered what all the fuss was about. Until we flew domestically. The poor person on this 757 actually tried to serve drinks at the gate with all the people bashing past. She had to stop as we were closing doors. You wanted to hear the fuss from behind us (I offered him my G&T - HI wanted to throw it at him)because they had not had drinks on the ground. At least we serve one or two things, not throw the entire bar around. Gawdstrewth, the crew were catered late and they only had one person in F class serving 20 something people. As it was AA, it was well done.

Ciao

Now Qantas - that is quite another matter. I bet CX is good if it is as good as the rest of their act.
Old May 8, 02, 8:51 am

First, the BA lounges at LHR/LGW are the best in the world, save CX Wing and SAA's First here at JNB.

With that spoken, I find the AA lounges to be a joke, said respectfully. I do like AA but I will say that I find the American(as in the USA) domestic market to be an apple vs. the oranges that are elsewhere. They are cheap with lounge access as well as other niceties such as free drinks, snacks, newspapers, and the like.

------------------
Africa1
Old May 8, 02, 9:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
Time for me to chime in.</font>
You took your time.

[...snipped...]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Now Qantas - that is quite another matter. I bet CX is good if it is as good as the rest of their act.</font>
CX is very good, but nowhere near as good as my beloved Qantas. Having smapled the lounges on all eight OneWorld carriers, I truely believe that most Qantas lounges are the best in the world. There are some that are lacking, but the best Qantas Club lounges will stand head-and-shoulders above anything that any other carrier can offer. And this is not mentioning the free drinks on offer in the lounges (which is why I got to the SYD lounge three hours before my flight yesterday and syubbornly refused all attempts to move me to an earlier flight!)

Dave
Old May 9, 02, 9:00 am

[This message has been edited by Merry (edited 05-25-2002).]
Old May 9, 02, 2:52 pm

is that the majority of AA lounge agents will let you in "as a favour", especially if you speak with a nice plumy English accent

-what about with an impressive English
South African accent? hey, I look and talk
just like a Brit

------------------
Africa1
Old May 9, 02, 4:02 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Africa1:
is that the majority of AA lounge agents will let you in "as a favour", especially if you speak with a nice plumy English accent

-what about with an impressive English
South African accent? hey, I look and talk
just like a Brit

</font>
And just how does a "Brit" look?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: