Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-LGW transfer: is three hours enough?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2002, 8:13 am
Original Poster

LHR-LGW transfer: is three hours enough?

Hello!

A friend of mine was supposed to fly ARN-ORD-RDU on AA, and was rebooked on BA ARN-LHR-LGW-RDU(AA to RDU) with three hours to connect between LHR and LGW. Her flight arrives at LHR on a weekday morning in May, and her departing flight leaves LGW at noon. Is this enough time? I checked the BA website, and it shows the minimum connecting time as 4 hours. In reality, how long will this connection take?

Thanks!
Ilves
Old Jan 18, 2002, 10:48 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
[Deleted]

[This message has been edited by ozzie (edited 01-18-2002).]
Old Jan 18, 2002, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hello,

The BA website now says the minimum connecting time is down to three hours.

There is a bus link between Heathrow and Gatwick which takes around 75 minutes ( may be slightly longer due to the traffic) but your luggage will not be checked through ie you will need to collect any checked in baggage and check in again at the departing airport.

Three hours should be ok but may be cutting it close if the incoming flight is delayed.
Old Jan 18, 2002, 6:00 pm

One should avoid a connection with a change of airports i.e. LGW to LHR. At LHR a lot of walking. Does your friend have to pick up her bags or are they taken care of by BA? Just to get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 at Heathrow it takes me about 45 minutes++++. So conservatively I think you must count 1 hour to get into the bus and leave + 1hr 15 min to get to LGW. However the BA LGW terminal is great! It's relatively small and not too much walking to the plane.
Old Jan 18, 2002, 6:06 pm

If she has to pick up her bags and recheck in again, as you say 3 hrs is tight. And AA security is more stringent now than before. I doubt that 3 hrs will be enough. I understand why it used to be 4 hrs. My blood pressure would hit danger zones with the "stress." She should check who will be responsible if she misses her connection and whether AA has a second flight if she misses the connection. I say "fire the travel agent!" She needs 4 hrs++++ in my humble opinion.
Old Jan 19, 2002, 7:06 am

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat
I have made this connection frequently at similar time of day - of course if incoming flight is delayed then possible trouble, but IMO 3 hours is sufficient. The bus (SPEEDLINK) is very efficient and I can say I have never had a problem. (probably done it once a year for the past five years)
I fly YYZ - LHR, then LGW - VRN This saves me flying LHR - MIL and then a long ground trasport to final dest in Italy. BA does not serve VRN from LHR.
Old Jan 20, 2002, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!

I think it was AA who rebooked her on BA after AA discontinued the ARN-ORD service.

I checked the BA website again, and it does say three hours now as the minimim connecting time.

If the BA flight is delayed, will BA be responsible for reacommodating her if she misses her connection?
Old Jan 20, 2002, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Three hours isn't enough time for me. I would be having kittens if my plane were late arriving, I was in the back of the plane, the baggage was delayed or any of the above.

If you knew every turn to take, every choice to make, it might work; but for me it would be a max stress builder!
Old Jan 20, 2002, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If there is a missed connection, then BA are, ime, very helpful and accommodating. If the legal connection is 3 hours, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Dave
Old Jan 20, 2002, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ilves:
Thanks for your replies!

I think it was AA who rebooked her on BA after AA discontinued the ARN-ORD service.

I checked the BA website again, and it does say three hours now as the minimim connecting time.

If the BA flight is delayed, will BA be responsible for reacommodating her if she misses her connection?
</font>
it is such a hassle between LGW and LHR, you should make a case for AA to make other alternative
i would rather take one more segment than going from LGW to LHR (it is like EWR and JFK), e.g. ARN-HEL-JFK-RDU, ARN-LHR-JFK/BOS-RDU
Old Jan 21, 2002, 12:14 am

The problem is that American security now takes longer than before. And sometimes there the lines are relatively long. You indicated your friend will be obliged to pick up her bags and then "recheck" them. That's where I see the problem. If it's "one ticket" I think BA will be responsible to help your friend. AA/BA work together. When my AA flight was delayed 10 hours they put me on BA with no problem, though I was travelling on a cheap ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.