Wiki Posts
Search

Very O/T question for Pucci

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2001, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Very O/T question for Pucci

Sorry for intruding, but I've been lurking hereabouts and enjoying the bantering fun had by all. My hypothesis is that since you're one who's been there and done that when it comes to travel you would have also picked up shedloads of tasty tidbits of ancillary knowledge along the way.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if you (or anyone else) might know the best place where one might be able to scoop up a Chanel handbag at a bargain. My fiancee's birthday is next month, and she knows what she's getting but I also want to throw in a little something extra.

The problem is that the bargain-hunter inside me blanches at the thought of walking into a Chanel boutique and dishing out full RRP. So, in my rather backwards logic, I'd rather spend more to make a mileage run and get the bag at a discount than simply go into Houston and pick one up! Doing things the easy way is just no fun, sez me.
Old Oct 1, 2001, 10:53 am

My name is not Pucci or Gucci but you might be best trying Channel in London or Paris and then applying for the VAT or Detax back at the airport. If you have a model name, you can call the stores directly and get the prices and then calculate the savings. I actually find I can save 20-30% or more then U.S. prices but you have to know the U.S. price. Also, you might find some sales give the current situation.

------------------
speedbird001
Old Oct 1, 2001, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
I'd imagine Paris to be much cheaper than London for any French luxury goods.

I was shopping for a Vuitton keepall recently (the biggest piece of luggage I 'd dare to take on board), and noticed that the Vuitton stores in London and Paris had the exact same prices. There was a small but important detail, though: the London price was in pounds and the Paris price in euros...
Old Oct 2, 2001, 3:01 am
mgm

Check out BKK and SEL (both giving a good return for a mileage run!). Watch out for fakes though. As a comparison I picked up a pair of really current "directional" Gucci sunglasses in BKK for a friend for less than $120. I think U.S. retail was around $180-$190 (then add tax...).
Old Oct 2, 2001, 6:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Kanebar! Welcome in case no one said it before. I lurked for a long time, and I suspect that some might have wished that I had lurked forever so much fun did we have.

Now to Business (do all you boys have Chanel handbags then? Own up!). Were it me I think that Speedbird (if he is still talking to me after that smartalec shot of mine) is spot on. If you want a geuine Chanel, then take the to the Galleries Lafeyette, or to Au Printemps (Pucci has her reasons, read on) do not go to the Chanel shop unless you want to check out the entire range and speak fluent japanese. If you have an Amex card fine, if not fine too, go to the Welcome Desk in either the GL or AP and tell them that Amex told them to give you a discount card.

That gets you 10% off immediately, then buy your bag, and do the Customs thing (do not ask me how that's done at CDG I haven't a clue being an EC girl). That will get you a genuine Chanel bag (and yes I can tell).

Other than that if lookalike will do, BKK or HKG is fine - but if she knows her Chanel you , my sweet will be dead meat if she ever finds out the opposite. Him Indoors has never pulled that stunt because he's only ever bought me a Gucci handbag, I never inquired where from...back of a lorry I shouldn't wonder. My taste, Louis Vuiton but not that dull brown and yellow which is boring, but a beautiful yellow (you are all yawning, Pucci can tell). I hate backpacks, and cheap blue handbags for reasons you can all guess!!
Old Oct 2, 2001, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only time I bought Chanel was when I was tricked into buying it at Harrods but that (she) was a long time ago I myself prefer Tumi (no handbag for me though )
Old Oct 2, 2001, 7:06 am
mgm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Now to Business (do all you boys have Chanel handbags then? Own up!).</font>
Chanel is bit OTT for my taste, though I did think the year 2000 retro-futurist molded "clam shell" bags that do double duty as a pillow (gawd, that was mouthful) were pretty cool.

I'm more of a Prada boy, though it's getting a bit derivative these days. Now if only Anya Hindmarsh did mens stuff I think she could give Miuccia a run for her money.

Thanks for the 10% tip. Coupled with the VAT refund and you would be getting very reasonable prices.

[This message has been edited by mgm (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old Oct 2, 2001, 8:11 am

Pucci, us boys do buy gifts for our wives, although I prefer Hermes or Loewe hand bags. One other idea for Kanebear, I have found the detaxe line at CDG particulaly long at times and sometimes I never get my refund. (I suspect the paperwork winds up in the garbage.) I think London is a better bet,particularly for y'alll. Also, you might try the Chanel store at T-4 if you are flying BA. You can check prices and the inventory of your model. The direct tel number is 44-208-754-4995. Slightly off subject but I find the Hermes store in T-4 the best place for ties and you save about 30% over New York City prices.

------------------
speedbird001

[This message has been edited by speedbird001 (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old Oct 3, 2001, 10:01 am

Programs: Lots of shiny colors
Pucci is right (boy, the girl can shop!) and the 10% foreign shopper discout card is the way to go.

Beware though that sometimes some items are excluded for the discount.

Milan has the best prices for Gucci and Prada.

Hermes accepts mail orders, with a fixed 10% discount (VAT) and will ship it to you anywhere in the States.

But the absolute best IMO are the sales in January (30-50% off, but Hermes bags , never).
Old Oct 4, 2001, 5:57 am

Celebrian, les exceptions s'agissent "des livres et les pointes rouges" selon ma carte actuelle! Un grand merci d'une adherente fidele de la laiche-vitrine!!

Merry, if you have wandered over here, I was offered a job chez Air France. Love made me choose to stay with BCAL.
Old Oct 5, 2001, 5:11 am

Pucci mon coeur,

Chanel is a "point rouge", called them this morning (the things you do to make women happy! ).
Old Oct 5, 2001, 5:31 am

Celebrian Mon Amour Tout ce que j'aime est hors-rebais. Pourtant le bonheur des dames n'a aucun prix. Il va de soi tu sois d'accord!!!

Gros Bisou
Old Oct 5, 2001, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you are saying something like we should keep the ladies happy? If so, I agree, there is nothing like a gift from oversees to cheer someone up
Old Oct 5, 2001, 9:38 am

ScottC, I couldn't agree more (especially if the said gift comes in a neat orange box...).

Pucci darling, the day Him Indoors wants to show his appreciations of having you at his side (notice I didn't say on his back ), and if he wants to do it in another way than kissing the feet of statues in every church, drop me a mail: I have a few "well-placed" friends...(the things you do to make women you love happy!)
Old Oct 5, 2001, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean my french translation was correct? WOW, I must be getting smarter every day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.