Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2001, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Continential Plat.
Upgrade to Business Class

Has anyone been successful upgrading free coach tickets to business class (free or with a fee)? If so, how?

Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2001, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Upgrades for no reason other than being a nice person will not happen with BA

2)Upgrades when you are travelling with an elite member on a (paid) ticket may happen is your ask for it

3)Buying an upgrade is possible, usually you pay the difference between your economy ticket and the business price...

4)Asking for an upgrade usually never works unless you are an elite member, most likely not when it is a free ticket (except for some people)

To make a long story short, if you are used to the US system then BA will probably let you down...
Old Apr 17, 2001, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Double posting, board problems???

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 04-17-2001).]
Old Apr 17, 2001, 6:15 pm

Had an op. upgrade from EuroTraveller to ClubEurope for myself (Gold) and partner (non-member) from LGW to VCE last week on two BA Miles tickets.

That was a nice suprise.

Thanks BA
Old Apr 18, 2001, 1:20 am

My experience is that UK carriers will only upgrade for operational reasons i.e. full or overbooked in economy. Doesn't matter what level of frequent flyer you are. Only exceptions I have found is occasionally using my inside contacts in BA to try to get an upgrade when my wife & I go on vacation.

I once got upgraded after I'd boarded, but that was only because I knew the chief cabin steward

------------------
Chris Elvin
Old Apr 18, 2001, 6:07 am

ScottC, I have personal experience that your No 1 is not always applicable. However, the person in question needs to have either the authority, or have the authority vested in him or her (ie they have been told to look for operational upgrades). You are right in that they are a privilege and not a right unless you have the vouchers that Premiums get. Being strident does not help either.
Old Apr 18, 2001, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not saying upgrades are not possible, when I fly Full Fare in club I usually get my fellow traveller upgraded as well, but even then they will NOT put us in the better part of the cabin, last week I was on a C ticket AMS-LHR and my girlfriend was on a cheapie traveller ticket, I had 3A, I got SFU put in the system and asked at the gate for an upgrade, we got it but were then both put in 12A and C, of course 3A and C were empty so I requested them on board, seemingly IF they are going to upgrade you then they somehow will make you "pay" for it
Old Apr 18, 2001, 7:00 am

Paul: I am not sure what you mean by your comment about vouchers for premiums??

As a general observation, I think BA are bring much more generous with upgrades at the moment - I think they are trying to encourage passengers to 'sample' some of their new products, but it could be just part of the current Customer Focus campaign.

However, I don't necessarily agree that upgrades are linked to FF status.

Nick

Old Apr 18, 2001, 7:16 am

They certainly do upgrade on free tickets. When it comes to operational reasons they don't seem to care what you paid for your ticket or milage status. I have been upgraded twice on free tickets once from LHR to JFK, the other time O'Hare to LHR, with BA.

IMHO, Don't even bother asking - they will only upgrade if full, oversold etc or if they are trying to keep you sweet. They seem to prefer those who don't ask, the quieter your demeaner the better (again just my opinion). And they will follow a dress policy but smart casual will work.

BA seems to prefer an indirect approach and requests for a seat with good leg room will be perceived by European based staff as a polite request for an upgrade. If they say they are unable to help do not go any further with this.

I have another free ticket coming up to LAX (a BA goodwill " lets keep this out of the small claims court" gesture) and they vaguely promised to upgrade subject to space available (but they also mean that the check in agent perceives me as well behaved etc).

I would be interested in hearing how you get on.
Old Apr 18, 2001, 7:46 am

Absolutely not! I am AAdvantage Platinum on partner airlines American. On my last trip to the Middle East, BA cancelled my itinerary due to the "Easter Holiday" and I was involuntarily re-routed through another country on a later day. When politely inquiring about a possible upgrade clearly justified by my status and the forced inconvenience, BA flat out refused to consider the request. A BA top manager even intentionally misrepresented the facts by claiming that there were no Business Class seats left on the flight. I investigated and found that 8 of the 20 seats were empty. Good bye BA, our new company policy (including European employees) will be to avoid BA at all costs.
Old Apr 18, 2001, 8:33 am

es3ado: Sorry to hear of your bad experience, but for a company travel policy to change because of one individuals bad experience seems very strange and somewhat shortsighted.

I also can't reconcile your comment about your status being a inpart a justification for an upgrade - but that is a different story.

Nick
Old Apr 18, 2001, 9:42 pm

I got upgraded from Club to First last week on a JFK-LHR flight. I had to be willing to wait an hor for the next flight.
Old Apr 19, 2001, 6:36 am

Nick, When I read your comments I chuckled to myself! The reason is that when I wrote the post, I just thought "Nick Merry will query this at once"!

What I meant was the confirmed upgrade that Gold card holders receive when they pass a certain number of miles. Bear with me, I cannot remember the exact amount. Sorry for any confusion - I hope that you and Sim enjoy Nassau!

es3ado.

"When politely inquiring about a possible upgrade clearly justified by my status"

Please be assured that although status is not the only qualification, your particular status as Platinum on American would be regarded as Silver on BA. Moreover, you do not state the fare that you paid, or the full nature of the inconvenience so one cannot judge. However, I find it strange that you should think that BA should give you a complimentary upgrade on the strength of your status with another airline. You as well as I know that American would never do such a thing. No amount of BA status would allow domestic US upgrades which are all earned or purchased.

Indeed, as you went to a top BA manager, it sounds as though you chose to complain that you had not been upgraded. That usually writes finis to any chance as BA regard them as a privelege graciously extended, not a right to be demanded. They would have no record of you or your business if you gave your AAdvantage number, and indeed you were possibly earning miles on American rather than BA?

I am sorry that you had a bad experience, but am sorry to say that to withdraw your business due to an involuntary re-routing and a denied upgrade sounds more like pique. I assure that whilst most of us would agree that BA is not perfect, it usually rewards those of us who give it their custom.
Old Apr 19, 2001, 11:09 am

I have to agree with Paul and Nick and others: I far prefer BA's system of "gracious privilege" to the much more quantified American systems

[This message has been edited by prof (edited 04-19-2001).]
Old Apr 19, 2001, 4:53 pm

In my company many people fly monthly to the US ex Europe, and I have heard three times people being upgraded from CW to First without asking (they were all Gold). Also, on European routes, if you travel with someone who is SIlver or Gold and you are yourself Silver or Gold, you can ask, sometimes they dot it, sometimes they don't - one of the explanation I had once was that there were so many Gold and Silver members in Y that they couldn't afford to upgrade one instead of another (and I saw the passengers list and that was true, lkots of G and S in Y).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.